transfer case!!!! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Drivetrain Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drivetrain Tech Transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

transfer case!!!!

Hey guys. Well, I just found out my TC is done. They said I smoked it, but what I wanted to ask is if there are any aftermarket TCs? Is there anything out there for Evos that can handle more of a load then the stock ones?

Last edited by Warrtalon; 01-22-2007 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Terrible typing
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yes, you can get it rebuilt by the expert, John Shepherd. Visit him at http://sheptrans.com. Give him a call tomorrow to discuss your options. You can either send yours to him and repair it for ultimate strength or buy a built one from him. Neither option is cheap, but if you want to upgrade, that's what you have to do. If you don't want to upgrade, it's still expensive even to find a replacement TC.

You do not have enough power to kill your TC, though, so this must mean you were doing high rpm clutch dumps, right? I have over 250 drag launches on my Evo, and I haven't not damaged the TC. That's because I do a quick slip launch, not a clutch dump, so I wear out my clutches more quickly, but I don't kill my TC.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

ouhh okay, so how is it that you do a quick slip?. because how i launch my car it is almost like doing a quick slip but not really.... i do let it hit the rev limit though and then find my sweet spot, once my car starts to creep i let it out as fast as i can so... not really shure what that is. i do get great launches though but when not done right i bog really badly. what do you think??

Old 01-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

You said the same thing last time. You are NOT hitting the rev limiter - you are hitting your LAUNCH CONTROL. For one, your launch control is set too high at 6500, and I get the feeling you're just dumping the clutch. If you were really waiting until the car was creeping forward before launching, then your t-case wouldn't be busted.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

When you say you bog really bad that is a pretty good indicator that the clutch was let loose a bit too quick and now your driveline components are eating up that shock and not the clutch. Could you have a bad TC from Mitsu? Well, possibley, but not likely at all reading the information you have given us in your posts.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Timeslip: 12.8 @ 109
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Even for racing I never rev RPMs and hold clutch pedal at the same time. For drug lunch I use 3000rpm max, and then let go off clutch pedal. Believe me I never see an awd car that rev to 6500rpm, thats killing TC and clutch in seconds!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
The 03 and 04's could rev all the way to redline, then in 05 and up Mitsubishi put in a 5k launch control. I launch mine at 6k with 12-16psi before i take off and I have 75k on my stock clutch and flywheel.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05evo View Post
Even for racing I never rev RPMs and hold clutch pedal at the same time. For drug lunch I use 3000rpm max, and then let go off clutch pedal. Believe me I never see an awd car that rev to 6500rpm, thats killing TC and clutch in seconds!!!
05evo, you can't launch an Evo at 3000rpm - that makes no sense and is only going to kill your clutch while giving you terrible 60's. Some people do launch at 6500, but that's a little high for this guy. He should try 5500-6000. You should not launch an Evo anywhere below 5000rpm...

Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Timeslip: 12.8 @ 109
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
05evo, you can't launch an Evo at 3000rpm - that makes no sense and is only going to kill your clutch while giving you terrible 60's. Some people do launch at 6500, but that's a little high for this guy. He should try 5500-6000. You should not launch an Evo anywhere below 5000rpm...
Realy? why can you go wrong on 3000rpm Lunch? The higher RPM's the higher risk to kill your clutch and TC, Right?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Because 3000rpm is too low to build any boost and too low to make enough power to propel the car forward, so you will just bog off the line. The only way to launch at 3000rpm and not bog is to slip the clutch like crazy, which heats it up and kills it. Either way you do it, your 60' will be terrible if launching from 3000rpm.

No, higher rpm does not necessarily mean higher risk. You just have to know how to do it properly. There's no risk to the TC unless you are dumping the clutch or unless you get wheel hop. The clutch will always be at risk no matter what rpm you choose...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement