2006 Race Diary #3 - Bandimere Speedway - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Drag Strip Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drag Strip Tech For sanctioned, legal Drag Racing. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event. No street racing discussions.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
2006 Race Diary #3 - Bandimere Speedway

So, I knew academically how altitude affected power levels due to the less dense air, but it was hard to imagine that people could REALLY lose as much power as I was being told. So, I moved up in February from the DC area (5000' higher), and immediately dyno'd to see the comparison. My peak number losses were 45whp/36wtq. However, my WHP peaked way earlier around 5300rpm instead of well above 6000rpm. The downside of this is that although I only lost 45whp peak (only? hah), my WHP lines diverged above 5500rpm meaning my WHP loss up above 6000rpm was as much as 60 .

Well, as soon as the first track opened in Pueblo, I was unable to go, since my ACT HDSS went out after some road racing. I got an Exedy 4-puck (single cerametallic), slapped it in, then went to the next test'n'tune up in Denver at Bandimere. I documented those runs along with a vid previously. The best run was a meager [email protected] with a shift to 5th way back at the 1000' mark due to the aforementioned power drop after 5500rpm, and with only a 1.75 60' on Blizzaks. Not as bad as some people guessed, but obviously not as good as _I_ was hoping.

So, today I took another trip up to Bandimere with the same mods and power levels, but with some new 255-width Azeni RT615s. They were much sticker and didn't spin all through 1st like the Blizzaks, and they did so with a full 28-30psi as opposed to the 20-22psi on the Blizzaks. So, I wasn't spinning much and wasn't bogging, but still was only seeing 1.75 60s with more 12.4-12.5s and the same 107-109mph traps. Since this wasn't a test'n'tune, but rather a big American Muscle race day (all bracket), I got 3 test runs, but then had to start competing. I lucked out in round one as my opponent ran his best ever and accidentally broke out. I was on my way to my best run according to my 1/8th mile, but I missed 5th while paying too much attention to the Vette I was running down from behind. Since he screwed up, I got to go again, but my point was to get a good time, not try to win a big bracket race.

Ok, so my best run by this point at this altitude was a 12.45, but my 1/8th indicated a high 12.3x if I didn't miss 5th, so I dialed in at 12.38 with the hopes of being able to hit a 12.3x and still win without breaking out. However, I had already made up my mind that if I were to blow past my opponent from behind, I would not hit the brakes just to win, but rather keep the gas floored in order to get the best ET possible. The result was this:

12.30 at Bandimere

I ran him down and blew past him due to a much better reaction time, and the fact that I blew past my dial-in time. I went from a 12.45 to a 12.30 with only a .03 improvement in 60' and no increase in MPH. In fact, my MPH was slower, but I'm not sure why. I think maybe I let off early? Can't tell from the vid, though. Since this was just a 1.72 60', I'm still not yet satisfied. Today was the first time using the 2-step on tires that actually grip, so hopefully I can start nailing mid 1.6s after some more practice. I steadily improved each launch today, so with a 1.6, I may squeeze out a solid 12.2. If I can do that, then I can feel good about overcoming the altitude as well as can be expected. Now I need to find out what the fastest stock turbo Evo time is up here at nearly 6000'.

60'------1.72-----1.78
330'----5.01-----5.21
1/8th---7.82-----8.13
MPH----87.89----84.19
1000'--10.25----10.65
1/4-----12.30----12.79
MPH----107.99--103.22

My best slip and my first slip, which has inexplicable numbers. I have no idea what happened, but it didn't happen again. I do think the ET vs MPH on both of these help to illustrate exactly how quick I'm able to shift now with the Exedy 4-puck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement