Automatic GSX Launching? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Racing Forums > Drag Strip Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Drag Strip Tech For sanctioned, legal Drag Racing. Preparation, technique, tips, and stories from the events. Tell us about your last event. No street racing discussions.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Automatic GSX Launching?

I took my cousin with me to the track last week, he has a 97 gsx auto with the usual bolt ons and stock t25, Dynoe'd 220whp/215wtq last week.

He was able to put down a best of 15.8, I did a 15.3 in it, but the thing does not launch at all, just creeps off the line.

It has some power to it and pulls pretty good once it gets going, with a decent launch I would think it would pull low 14's.

So my question is, how exactly do you launch a auto gsx? I just held the brake down and gave it throttle but it wasn't too impressive. I had two 2g GSX's both 5 speeds that launched a lot harder when they where stock.

I realize this is a Evo forum but since most of us have a dsm background, and I don't want to dig through 20 pages of bs and 16 year olds opinions, I thought maybe someone might have some insight.

I ran the usual 12.4x et on pump in the Evo but my traps are going up, up from 107 to 109, possibly due to the 25 degree drop in temp from my last track outing.

Thanks in advance.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2006, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've been in a 2g GS-T auto; 20g, FMIC, full fuel, full exhaust...
It's just the tranny. Without stepping up to a higher torque converter it's just going to lag.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I see. It's kind of funny because he talked a lot of trash to some of his friends about how fast his car was against my warning and was telling them it would run 13's. He got a lesson in humility to say the least.

Although now he wants to sell the car all of a sudden and get a wrx (17 year old kid, can't afford a evo yet).

Over the years I've gotten to the point where no matter how fast my car is, if someone asks, it runs 14s. Even when I was running 130mph+ traps in a cammed+procharged Z28 I would always reply that it was a 14 second car. I've gotten some stupid looks from people but better safe than sorry.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
Sounds like he should just sell his auto GSX and get a 5spd GSX. I ran better times with my near stock GST. He should do better with a 5spd.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
No way keep the Auto, pop on a FP Green turbo and nail the break and then the gas, it'll launch and won't quit. But that Auto Tranny needs to be built.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Try to stall it!! When at the line hold the gas and then give it some gas till it wants to go then go,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement