Buying a used Evo, Fake MR? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Evolution X > Evo X Discussion
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Evo X Discussion General Discussion about the Mitsubishi Evo X

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Midwest
Buying a used Evo, Fake MR?

I hope this is the right forums, please move if its not. I know its not evo X, but I thought you all might be able to help.

I am looking into buying myself a Lancer Evolution, but it has been a while since I have owned an import. I had two second Gen Eclipses that I modified, but sold them and have been driving an SUV for the list 5 years for work reasons.

Now I am looking at picking up a used evolution on the side for my fun car. I was looking at used ones, something around $20k, with decent miles, and low mods.

I came across an add for a 2006 MR, however when I go to the dealers website it doesn't state MR, and I believe it not. With the Eclipses I could easily tell the model just by looking at it, but with the Evo's I am not sure what I should be looking for.

There is no "MR" badging on the car(inside or out), the website says its a five speed(I know MR is 6), it doesn't have the vortex piece. So I called the dealer, he claims it is for sure an MR. The only way they were able to tell was by looking up the VIN number.

So I guess my questions is, am I wrong? Is this really an MR? Can you tell from the VIN? From my research it looks to be a GSR... He has it priced correctly for an MR, but if it is not an MR then I believe the price should be more around $18k(correct me if I am wrong). I want to know I am correct in my findings before I ask them to take close to 4grand off their price.

Link 1 claiming MR... 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Used Cars for Sale in Highland Michigan - Photos - MLive.com

Link 2 from the dealer site... 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer 4dr Sdn Evolution IX Manual Apex Silver Metallic Sedan 4 Dr.. A Mitsubishi Lancer at Lafontaine Buick Cadillac GMC Highland MI

If its not an MR, is this still a decent buy? What price should he be asking on it?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
Its not an MR. It has standard GSR wheels and a GSR lip. The only 5 speed that came with the MR's wheels and lip are the SE. Also, im sure that on the MR's that there was a badge or something at the base of the shifter on the center console that said "Evolution MR"....or something of the sorts.

Dont get me wrong, the Evo looks clean and seems to be a good buy. Id like to see some pics of the engine bay if possible. Id try to knock about 2 grand off the price, but if they wont budge, id still take it.

Most people prefer the 5 speeds over the 6 speeds anyways, depending on what they do with the car. Or if they have an MR, they swap the transmission. Id say check it out more. And if you do go for it, you wont be disappointed.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
MR main features to look for is the aluminum roof, all do come with a MR badge on the trunk but most people take the badge off. and yes there is alwways a badge on the center console. should have a 6spd, bbs wheels, and a yellow bilstein suspension. if your going for all out power and a drag car you will be looking for a 5spd. the 6spd is awesome but it does not hold power like the 5spd. good luck finding a clean barely molested car.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

The problem is the car is about a 3 hour drive away. So I was hoping to figure out what it was, and work out the deal before the drive.

So there is no way it could be an MR since its 5 speed, correct?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

You dont want to work out a deal before you go there and test drive it. That car could look clean, but could have been beaten on by its previous owner. Are there no other Evos that are closer??

The only way that can be an MR with a 5 speed is if the previous owner swapped the 6 speed tranny for a 5 speed at a shop. But its definitely not an MR.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookhoe View Post
Are there no other Evos that are closer??
No, I have never seen an Evo of any year/model around this area...ever. The closes Mitsu dealer is about 200miles away. And they almost never have an evo, new or used. I will be the only Evo that I know if in at least 150mile radius.

Im not going to buy without a test drive. But I want to have the deal all but ready before I travel hours down. That way if I like what I see/drive, I can just sign and drive, instead of wasting my whole day downstate.

I just need to know what a "fair" price is for this evo to purchase.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Got ya. Glad to see that you have a plan. What does suck though, is that the closest dealer is about 200 miles away. Im not sure if its possible, but you could always ask and see if theyll entertain the option of moving an Evo from another dealership to the one that youre going to.

Honestly, I think $21,000-$22,000 is a fair price. But we all know that paying less is even better. Im not going to try and coach you on how to buy a car...im sure youve been down that road before. But just be SUPER SURE that you know what youre looking for because they seem to hate warranty work on Evos.

I WANNA GO FAST
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMtweaker View Post
I hope this is the right forums, please move if its not. I know its not evo X, but I thought you all might be able to help.

I am looking into buying myself a Lancer Evolution, but it has been a while since I have owned an import with a used engine for sale. I had two second Gen Eclipses that I modified, but sold them and have been driving an SUV for the list 5 years for work reasons.

Now I am looking at picking up a used evolution on the side for my fun car. I was looking at used ones, something around $20k, with decent miles, and low mods.

I came across an add for a 2006 MR, however when I go to the dealers website it doesn't state MR, and I believe it not. With the Eclipses I could easily tell the model just by looking at it, but with the Evo's I am not sure what I should be looking for.

There is no "MR" badging on the car(inside or out), the website says its a five speed(I know MR is 6), it doesn't have the vortex piece. So I called the dealer, he claims it is for sure an MR. The only way they were able to tell was by looking up the VIN number.

So I guess my questions is, am I wrong? Is this really an MR? Can you tell from the VIN? From my research it looks to be a GSR... He has it priced correctly for an MR, but if it is not an MR then I believe the price should be more around $18k(correct me if I am wrong). I want to know I am correct in my findings before I ask them to take close to 4grand off their price.

Link 1 claiming MR...
Link 2 from the dealer site...

If its not an MR, is this still a decent buy? What price should he be asking on it?
I am selling a Lancer Evolution but I sell it in high price because it has been care well and tuned up. It set up very pretty. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by eldercaddy; 12-14-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

What Evo? What price? What mods?

I WANNA GO FAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement