Forget the looks, will it perform? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Evolution X > Evo X Discussion
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Evo X Discussion General Discussion about the Mitsubishi Evo X

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Forget the looks, will it perform?

My biggest fear is that the Evo X will be designed more to battle the M3 and not so much the STi. Does that mean they're going to focus less on making it a track monster? Will it be used less at AutoX and Track Events? I hope Mitsu doesn't over-do it on the luxury stuff because the M3, though it can be considered a luxury car, is still mainly a sports car with all the focus on performance. The M3 just carries over a lot of the same luxury items from the other 3-series models. It's almost a luxury car by default, it's still primarily a sports car made to handle and go fast.

Let's hope Mitsu keeps the Evo in the sports car realm and not lose sight of what the Evo really is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
We shall see...

By the time it comes out, I hope that the MR is my dedicated race car, and I'd like to pick up a X as my daily driver, but it must be a top performer.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Of course it will perform, in the right hands. Unlike the current Evos I think it will lack the jump in and go fast that make the current Evo such a joy to drive. I just hope I'm wrong.

Jared
Offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2006, 07:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 338whp/371 lb-ft
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
i think they'll somehow pull it off. look at our current generation evo. the VI used to be the best perfoming evo then, they decided to use the bigger, longer, and heavier Cedia body. i was shocked at first because all that weight and everything seemed like a de-volution, but they made the CT9A the best performing evo yet. the evo is in good hands. as Dr. Evo says (the chief engineer for the evo) "our only competition is the evo IX. the X will be superior. far superior."
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiBER RYDER View Post
i think they'll somehow pull it off. look at our current generation evo. the VI used to be the best perfoming evo then, they decided to use the bigger, longer, and heavier Cedia body. i was shocked at first because all that weight and everything seemed like a de-volution, but they made the CT9A the best performing evo yet. the evo is in good hands. as Dr. Evo says (the chief engineer for the evo) "our only competition is the evo IX. the X will be superior. far superior."
I hope so....
Old 01-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have no reason to doubt them in this case. It seems each generation of the EVO has progressively gotten better. I think the main thing here is that Mitsu knows they HAVE to get this right.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
But it's hard to create a "sure thing" with a brand new, unproven motor. It's a huge risk moving away from a proven, cast-iron block that is known to be able to handle up to 550whp without changing internals. This aluminum thing may blow up with an extra 50whp, or it may make 1000whp on pump gas with the stock turbo. Advancing technology is a good thing, but it's very difficult to get it 100% right the first time...

Old 01-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, lets hope they haven't forgotten that the 4G63 was known for its durability. I'll reserve full judgement until it comes out and some people have modified it.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mitsu has to know there is a huge following, especially aftermarket for this car. To put a lemon of a motor in their new "superior to the IX" Evo just wouldn't make sense to me. If this motor poops out after folks just start doing basic boltons then they will absolutely kill the biggest % of their following. I think most of us just assume the manu. hp ratings are just a starting line. Hopefully Mitsu. gets this and doesn't kill off their enthusiasts.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Dynosheet: 424whp/401 lb-ft
Unfortunately, I don't know that Mitsu is catering to the aftermarket as much as they should. They sure didn't with the new Eclipse and I think that was a huge mistake. I'm not sure they're designing the new Evo with the idea that people will want to build it to put out 500whp. They should, but again, I don't know that they are.

It sounds to me like they're trying to make it a good sports car to compete with the M3 in stock form, but not necessarily make it a "tuner" car like the current Evo is. That would be their biggest mistake and I think it would lead to their downfall in North America. Let's hope they're smarter than that.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm holding out hope, but Mitsubishi has a habit of ruining a good thing.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Potential pitfalls of the next Evolution (SCC)

Sports Compact Car/April 2007;
"Even with an all new engine and complex S-AWC system in the Evolution X, the biggest headache for tuners may reside in the dual-clutch auto/manual transmission. Shift programs (Drive, Sports or Manual modes) are designed in terms of shift timing, redline and clutch overlap time. Even in manual mode, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) is programmed to shift at the preset pre redline point. Maximum downshift rpm is also limited by the engine. Stock power determines the amount of power each clutch can transfer without slipping, clutch engagement timing and gear overlap. With added power everything will start falling out of sync."
"The fact that the engine is turbocharged means that torque on the input shaft and each clutch varies with boost, throttle position and engine speed. So altering the shift program isn't as simple as changing the stock points. And this doesn't even scratch the surface of tuning Sport mode, which works with yaw, wheel speed and steering sensors to figure out which gear to downshift to. While Audi/VW tuners have already started working on TCM reflash maps, coming up with something as goos as factory tuning will not be easy, especially now that the Lancer has Controller Area Network-bus (CAN-BUS) for chassis communications. But it's possible - the Bugatti Veyron can make 1000bhp via four turbochargers. And uses a similar tranny. - JC"

Doesn't sound good to me and the old MBC and exhaust tricks may not work as well. Who knows? Maybe there's a genious graduating from M.I.T. this spring who can crack everything.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

all i have to say is...what was mitsubishi thinking making one of the greatest cars of all time an automatic. Im not sure if manual is an option, i havent looked too far into it, but an automatic evo? come on, i know they had them in Japan on the lower trim level ones....but seriously.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Uhhh... I thought I had read the 6 speed auto was an option, but you will still be able to get the 5-speed manual as well. That would be crazy, to make this car an auto only. Talk about dropping down sales #'s. I don't care how cool their 6 speed auto is, if I can't shift it myslelf with a good old clutch pedal and a shifter then forget it!

Please read this link I found. It seemed above the concern was with reprogramming shift points for the auto when making more power because off all the sensors and data that would need to be adjusted. In the link they say the 5 speed is available which would then eliminate a majority of these concerns would it not?
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...r_evolution_x/
Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
People thought that MIVEC would make tunning a pain the the butt, but that worked out great. I feel the same way about the sequential manual transmission and shift logic.

People are terrified of trying to tune it right now... but the first shop to get one and do it right will be on top of the game for the next generation of Evolution. The ones who chicken out and let someone else do the R&D on this car are the ones that will lose out.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement