Newbie needs scoop 2010 MR Touring - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Evolution X > Evo X Discussion
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Evo X Discussion General Discussion about the Mitsubishi Evo X

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Newbie needs scoop 2010 MR Touring

Currently driving a Volvo S60R modded to about 340HP. It is now out of warranty though and I don't European makes to be low maintenance. I've owned lots of cars and my actual favorite was my 1995 3000GT VR4. What a fund car and was a great grand touring car (heavy and very solid) - incredible engineering for back then. The Volvo comes close but doesn't have that glued to the road feel the VR4 did. Too bad they didn't make a new version.

Not looking to be like everyone else driving a 3-series BMW but the 300HP twin turbo AWD 335ix is on my short list. I'm concerned I'm going to miss the luxury feel and amenities of the Acura's, Lexus', and Volvo I've owned. But I like high performance sedans (have two small kids so 4-doors is very useful.)

Other car on my short list if of course Ifinity G37S AWD. Bland styling though and no 60/40 folding rear seats. And you can't get the big breaks if you get the 7-speed Auto.

Audi S4 out of my price range. Really would like something with a dual-clutch transmission though. Read lots of good reviews.

Even though I like Japanese cars the best, so far, due to their low-maintenance and good build quality, I've strayed away from the 'rice burners' as they aren't really my personality. I'm 40 and I've grown to like high quality fit and finish with luxury amenities. Plus those car look so riced out. I know they are targeted at a certain audience and I appreciate them for that. To each their own.

So I just discovered the Evo MR Touring which appears Mitsu is finally saying hello to MY segment of drivers! They got rid of that big wing, and added my must-have heated seats and it even has a dual-clutch transmission and rain sensing wipers. It's a techno marvel! Question is, does it still feel 'ricey' inside as I hear aside from the seats and a few other things (steering wheel) the basic interior materials are the same as a regular Lancer and I can't imagine that being anywhere close to a BMW 335, Lexus IS, or Audi (of course no one beats the Audi interiors - but you pay through the nose for it.)

A few questions that the Mitsu site didn't indicate. Maybe some of you Evo enthusiasts familiar with the '10 model can help me out?

Is there 60/40 rear split folding seats? I'm guessing not due to placement of the battery behind the seats?

Is there an iPod interface (not just an Aux audio jack) - I'd be shocked if there wasn't.

Is the firmness of the suspension adjustable (I'm guessing not) if not, how does it ride for freeway touring and just creeping around city streets?

I see it has few options but include some air dam and other vent options and side skirts yet the stock photos look like it already has a decent size/looking body kit on it? Do these options make that big of an appearance difference and if so, is a tasteful looking or just makes the car look ricier than it already does?

If I'm going to go the rice route, I think I want acceleration more on-par with a stock STI which is what 4.7, 4.9 0-60. Seems like maybe just a simple ECU upgrade should get me to close to 4.9? I've always modded my cars for a few extra ponies and improved suspension without ruining the drive. But I'm getting a little burnt out so I just want some easy that is good bang for the buck that doesn't make the car sound more obnoxious.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback. I think I may be happily returning to be a Mitsu owner.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
why not go test drive one or at least go look inside a new evo.....you can purchase a ipod connection from mitsu. no the seats dont fold its a real sports car.....the suspension is setup to do one thing, handle! I also thought the nav system/rockford combo had a hard drive in it, so who needs a ipod.....get the car tuned and your looking at another 30-50whp on a stock car.....or do the basic bolt ons with a tune and it will leave your volvo thinking wtf just happened...

my advice go drive the evo X!

Old 10-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Eastern Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
why not go test drive one or at least go look inside a new evo.....you can purchase a ipod connection from mitsu. no the seats dont fold its a real sports car.....the suspension is setup to do one thing, handle! I also thought the nav system/rockford combo had a hard drive in it, so who needs a ipod.....get the car tuned and your looking at another 30-50whp on a stock car.....or do the basic bolt ons with a tune and it will leave your volvo thinking wtf just happened...

my advice go drive the evo X!
I am over 40 and like the above person, I like a bit of comfort. I just bought my 2008 EVO MR X (it has heated seats at least the Canadian version does). The twin clutch is amazing...no more shifting a thousand times on my way to work, yet can use the paddle shifters anytime I get the urge. The car is very fast and has razor sharp steering and handling...the car is absolutely amazing...you will not regret buying this car and it brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it. Yes, there are a few things I would change on it though...the big spoiler, although the more I drive it, the less I notice it, and you will always be able to find your car in the parking lot...lol. Also the drivers seat does not have height adjustment, so if your very tall or very short you might have grievances. The EVO X 2010 is the only model (I hear) that will come with height adjustment, but don't know if they are available where you are, but they are not yet here in Canada. One other thing is that it is a rally race car and the suspension is stiffer...you will find yourself avoiding larger potholes, but it's not too bad and I'm fine with it. I also have a "touring" Sebring, and it is a bit softer ride, but not too much more and I still avoid potholes. Mitsu's AWD is perfect, and will be nice to have in winter. Buying the BMW is going to cost you a lot more and especially if you want the 335i X-drive ("X" if you want the AWD). It's a real toss up...the EVO is the best sports car for the buck, but if you have more bucks you want to part with, then buying the 335i X-drive would be a good option too...it was on my short list as well.
Good luch in your choice...let me know what you decide. Do your test drives as recommended in this thread, and that way you will know for sure.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by consultant View Post
Currently driving a Volvo S60R modded to about 340HP. It is now out of warranty though and I don't European makes to be low maintenance. I've owned lots of cars and my actual favorite was my 1995 3000GT VR4. What a fund car and was a great grand touring car (heavy and very solid) - incredible engineering for back then. The Volvo comes close but doesn't have that glued to the road feel the VR4 did. Too bad they didn't make a new version.

Not looking to be like everyone else driving a 3-series BMW but the 300HP twin turbo AWD 335ix is on my short list. I'm concerned I'm going to miss the luxury feel and amenities of the Acura's, Lexus', and Volvo I've owned. But I like high performance sedans (have two small kids so 4-doors is very useful.)

Other car on my short list if of course Ifinity G37S AWD. Bland styling though and no 60/40 folding rear seats. And you can't get the big breaks if you get the 7-speed Auto.

Audi S4 out of my price range. Really would like something with a dual-clutch transmission though. Read lots of good reviews.

Even though I like Japanese cars the best, so far, due to their low-maintenance and good build quality, I've strayed away from the 'rice burners' as they aren't really my personality. I'm 40 and I've grown to like high quality fit and finish with luxury amenities. Plus those car look so riced out. I know they are targeted at a certain audience and I appreciate them for that. To each their own.

So I just discovered the Evo MR Touring which appears Mitsu is finally saying hello to MY segment of drivers! They got rid of that big wing, and added my must-have heated seats and it even has a dual-clutch transmission and rain sensing wipers. It's a techno marvel! Question is, does it still feel 'ricey' inside as I hear aside from the seats and a few other things (steering wheel) the basic interior materials are the same as a regular Lancer and I can't imagine that being anywhere close to a BMW 335, Lexus IS, or Audi (of course no one beats the Audi interiors - but you pay through the nose for it.)

A few questions that the Mitsu site didn't indicate. Maybe some of you Evo enthusiasts familiar with the '10 model can help me out?

Is there 60/40 rear split folding seats? I'm guessing not due to placement of the battery behind the seats?

Is there an iPod interface (not just an Aux audio jack) - I'd be shocked if there wasn't.

Is the firmness of the suspension adjustable (I'm guessing not) if not, how does it ride for freeway touring and just creeping around city streets?

I see it has few options but include some air dam and other vent options and side skirts yet the stock photos look like it already has a decent size/looking body kit on it? Do these options make that big of an appearance difference and if so, is a tasteful looking or just makes the car look ricier than it already does?

If I'm going to go the rice route, I think I want acceleration more on-par with a stock STI which is what 4.7, 4.9 0-60. Seems like maybe just a simple ECU upgrade should get me to close to 4.9? I've always modded my cars for a few extra ponies and improved suspension without ruining the drive. But I'm getting a little burnt out so I just want some easy that is good bang for the buck that doesn't make the car sound more obnoxious.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback. I think I may be happily returning to be a Mitsu owner.

--------
Like you, I'm in my 40's (45 actually). I picked up an Evo X, MR touring last week and it's an amazing car. I heartily suggest you get a test drive if you're even vaguely interested in this car and haven't test driven it already. I have nothing but good stuff to say about this vehicle. One thing I should point out is that you mentioned 60/40 seats. This car has no folding seat. Not sure how big a thing that is for you (actually, I would have liked folding seats, but the Evo not having them gave me another excuse to keep my Acura RSX), but be forewarned. Also, the trunk is probably smaller than you might expect from a sedan. As you pointed out, this is largely due to the fact that they have the battery and windshield washer reservoir tucked back there.

That said, you brought up some other questions.

Re iPod interface, you should ask your dealer about that. I was completely happy with the Aux jacks, and candidly my experience has been that the sound quality via Aux jacks is generally better than via iPod jacks found in most cars anyway.

The firmness isn't really adjustable, per se, but when you switch the AWD between Tarmac (i.e, street), Gravel, and Snow, you will definitely feel a difference in the ride and how the car handles. I've heard of some folks using gravel or snow settings on the street because they preferred the ride, but as for me, I like the street setting. As far as how firm the ride is, I really like it on the freeway and city streets alike. Granted, I have always liked a firm suspension and when I test drove the BMW 3 series I thought it was sprung a bit soft for my liking. However, what you get from the Evo's firm suspension is some of the best handling you will ever experience. No lie.

As far as whether the body or interior makes the car look "ricy," you'll have to check it out for yourself. I highly encourage you to see the car in real life and not rely on the photos because (a) the paint looks a LOT better in real life (actually, the phantom black is one of the nicest paint colors I've ever seen on a car, the subtle highlights you get when the light hits it are really something), and (b) the body just looks a lot better in real life (at least to my eye) and looks more unified and not like someone just bolted a body kit on the car.

If you're looking for speed, the car is definitely in the same league as the STI. Personally, I think the Evo handles better though.

You mentioned that you had owned Mitsubishi's before. that should give you an idea of what to expect from the Evo. It won't have the fit and finish of a BMW, Audi or Lexus or the "refinement" (that's not what the car or brand are about), but you will get a car that will last you and give you great bang for the buck. And frankly, the Evo X is a pretty darn nice car, even if it's not as "nice" or "refined" as a BMW et al. This is my third Mitsubishi ('84 Conquest/Starion, 90 Eclipse, and now the 2010 Evo MR Touring), so I'm looking forward to this being another great car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement