2 Step - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Southwest
2 Step

Ok so,

I recently bought my bone stock '03 Evo 8 (Only mod was a new Exedy stage 1 clutch). I realize I will have a long way to go before I need this but was wondering when I am going to need a 2 Step/launch control? If not why not? And if so, at what stage in my build? Also, how is this programmed? Through the ECU?

I appreciate the advice anyone is willing to give the nube!!!

Last edited by bc5044; 11-10-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
you can use a 2step launch anytime, even stock. The 05's came with it set at 5k. Are you planning on taking the car to a drag strip? This can be programmed on your ECU at anytime it's called a reflash. Look into a program called ecuflash which is free all you need is the tactrix cable and search for info on the ecuflash program. I even think there is a How-to for the program on this site. Read about the program and things you can do with it first. Have someone in your area who has experience with the program help you. Do not mod anything on the ecu until you have some reliable help or else you could just really mess up your new car. There are a lot of members on here who can help you with the program. I don't use it a lot unless my tuner is helping me change things.

As far as a mod path:
turboback exhaust
intake
Boost controller
Walbro 255lph Fuel pump
evo9 Bypass valve
And a good reflash!
This should get you a good amount of power. Also any tuner who is going to reflash your ecu can add a 2step launch. Mine is set at 6k so i build 10-13 psi at the line. Good luck and keep us informed
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

2 step

Oh ok! Thanks for the help! Yeah my first mod will definately be a turboback! The only thing is that this is going to be a long build cause its being financed. But I plan on keeping this car forever so shouldn't be a big deal... But yeah, I appreciate all the ideas! I do plan on dragging it once every so often after I have those mods you listed. It will mostly be a fast daily driver.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

well good luck and just research your mods before you purchase. I would talk to owners in your areas and see if there are any good shops near you to help you with your build if your not inclined to do it yourself
Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

2 Step

Well, I live in Tucson, Az and I don't know if you've ever been here but its pretty lame when it comes to shops. There are a total of 2 and both don't really deal with Evos, so the closest place to take it would be Phoenix. So I plan on doing most of the bolt on mods myself and with buddies. When it comes time for ecu stuff I'll definately take it to Phoenix to a professional. Hey, I had another question thats not ecu related but thought I'd ask anyways. I already have a brand new Greddy RS BOV and was reading about how if you take the inner spring out of it you can run stock boost with it venting to atmosphere... Is that true? Cause I would really like the sound, HaHa!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

about the BOV and the inner spring, i used to have a greddy type-s i tried it with both springs set very light and the car didn't run right. i took out the inner spring and it ran great but the BOV lets off anytime you let off the gas it was cool for about a day then it just got really annoying. Also you should recircluate that BOV back into the intake like stock. you won't really be able to hear it until you get a opne filter intake. if you vent the bov for the sound your car will most likely stall out and it will run very rich inbetween shifts actually slowing you down. My advice is make sure you have the recirc kit fot he type RS BOV and get a i ntake so you can hear it if thats your main concern.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

2 step

ok yeah thats what i was thinking about the BOV. Haha, its not not like a main concern but I do like the sound but yeah, I will probably get the recirc kit for it.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

don't prob just do, it will cause you more headache then its worth
Old 11-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

2 step

ok for sure
Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

going back to the greddy rs BOV, can i just use that one in place of the stock BOV? like just swap them out? Seems like that could work....
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

it you got the recirc kit and flange for your BOV then it should bolt right in. Then you will need to adjust the BOV for your car. That way it opens up under normal driving, no flutter and holds the psi your running.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

well the stock BOV is already been set up for recirculation and I have the recirc flange already on the greddy, Can't I just use the stock parts? Also, how do I adjust the greddy?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

to use the greddy you need the flange and the recirc piece. Yes the stock valve recircs because it is a bypass valve and if you release the air into the atmosphere it makes your car run rich. Any way to adjust the greddy you loosen the nut on top and then adjust the screw with a allen key. you can make it harder or softer. If you are not sure how hard or soft it should be set you should get some help from someone in your area. or research BOV installs even the greddy directions tell you i think.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Ok cool. Yeah I definately want to recirc the greddy. Do you know where I can find that kit? I've looked everywhere online and can't find it! I saw the greddy install guide on evomoto.com that seems like the best do it yourself instruction guide. Hey, I got another question... What's the dif between a bypass valve and a blowoff valve?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc5044 View Post
Ok cool. Yeah I definately want to recirc the greddy. Do you know where I can find that kit? I've looked everywhere online and can't find it! I saw the greddy install guide on evomoto.com that seems like the best do it yourself instruction guide. Hey, I got another question... What's the dif between a bypass valve and a blowoff valve?

Thanks!
Usually a bypass valve is essentially a BOV but it just recirculates. Most people on forums get all technical about it. They are the same thing sorry for the confusion. Anyway what kit are you looking for? You can PM me or my screen name on aim is Siclanevo .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement