AEM ECU or FLASH? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

AEM ECU or FLASH?

Well I need a flash and was debating just getting a AEM ECU instead. In about a year im going to be upgrading the turbo and will need more than a flash. Just thinking why waste the money on the flash if I could just get the ecu and have someone help me set it up. What are everyones thoughts about this.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you want the upmost in tuning ability get the AEM. But you don't need more than a flash for most turbos. Unless you plan to run a 42R on race gas and need every lb/ft of torque you can manage you can make due on a flash. There are plenty of 5 and 600 hp Evos runnning a flashed ECU.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Besides you can get your car custom flashed like 4 times for the price of the AEM EMS....

Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
That logic is quite flawed, because you still have to pay someone to tune your AEM EMS, and that will cost more than a custom flash. When you get flashed, there is no hardware that you have to purchase - they just reprogram what you already have. When you're ready to move up to a standalone ECU - assuming you do ever get to that point - then you will lose nothing and have nothing to sell from the flashes. You just get the AEM and get it tuned. No waste from getting flashes now, plus it would be foolish to mess with a standalone ECU now when they are so complicated and you don't need one.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

yea for a daily driver id keep the stock ecu as long as possible. standalones idle wierd are hard to start and cost a lot and you cant pass smog. not something personally id want for a daily driver.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Stand alones are only as good as the tuner. If the tuner knows what he/she is doing you can make a car run just as well if not better than OEM...to include start, idle, emmissions and driveability.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

if you have like 4000$ just for the tuning then yes maybe so but the average person cannot afford that.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Did you just pull that number out of thin air? Or perhaps somewhere dark and stinky? There are quite a few tuners than can completely tune the EMS in two or three days for less than a grand.

And we're not talking about the average Joe. Unless you know something about the OP that I don't?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

That answered every question. I really didnt think a flash would work on a car with upgraded turbo runing about 500whp. If the stock ECU will work then im keeping it. Ill just put the money somewhere else. Ohh A little off subject, Is a new head gasket required with a turbo upgrade. ill have cams and headstuds already done. My car only has 34,000 Miles on it now. Thanks, everybody for your help. This is why i go nowhere elso but evotuners.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not unless you already have a leaking gasket. When I upgraded my head all the companies told me to use OEM head gaskets so I did. That goes to show how strong the stock material is. You should be fine with the new head studs as long as they are installed correctly. Headgasket change is pretty darn expensive!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

ok man. thanks alot. thats good news.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

i pulled that number as an example. if it was a little high i apologize. but 3-4 days of tuning cannot get you to idle, start, coldstart, and general drivability better than the 3+ months they spent writing the stock map.

any car i have ever been in with a standalone wont start cold as well as a stock ecu car.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
Stand alones are only as good as the tuner. If the tuner knows what he/she is doing you can make a car run just as well if not better than OEM...to include start, idle, emmissions and driveability.
I don't know about out there, but no stand alone will ever pass a real emissions test in CA. It may test under all the sniffer limits, but as soon as they plug into the OBD-II port...

Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

That's why I said emmissions test, not DMV smog checks.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Im In florida and we have no checks at all as long as u have lights on it your good. Cops will sometimes mess with u if ur exhaust is loud and if they dont see a cat. converter on it but ive never been checked. Ya I want Driveability so im gonna stick with the stock ecu. will a mail in flash be good enough or should i have a road tune done? what are My options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement