AEM ECU or FLASH? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Your best option is to have someone do a custom tune. Wether it be on the road or on a dyno. If you can get a load based dyno (such as a Mustang) it will work just as well as a road tune without the worry of cops and accidents.

A mail in flash is very basic and the "tuner" might not have a database for all the parts you have.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

how do i get a custom tune i live in sarasota florida. There isnt one shop i would let even change my oil here.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
I don't know where Sarasota is, but you could check out Jestr Tuning or TTP-engineering.com. I think both are in Orlando. A custom tune is best, but if there is no one near you, then a mail-in flash or eflash (through email) is better than nothing.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

If you know of 4 other Evo owners who would like a flash you could have AMS travel to your location and do tunes.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

good and bad for me theres only Me and two other Evos in sarasota. another one doesnt mod it just DD it stock (Such a waste). Orlandos only an hour and a half away Im there once a month anyways. What would I look to pay for the protune?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

A ProTune is a Cobb AccessPort thing. We don't have that for the Evo yet. For a custom flash from Jestr or TTP, I would think around $300 or so, but I don't know their exact prices. You can check their websites to find out...

Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #22 (permalink)

TTP just quoted me $299 to custom road tune my car. That is with the installation of cams, timing belt, 02 housing, Etc.

There is also a guy in Jacksonville @ stage 6 motorsports (Mase I think) that tunes the EVO's and I have heard good things about him..... No personal experience though.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

if your comfortable with tuning then you could buy the cables and software and tune your stock ecu. otherwise if you don't feel like tuning it yourself then there is not even much point in a AEM, b/c the AEM's mainly for people who want to tune their own cars. if your taking it to someone else, let them worry about it!!! basically tuning is a science and that makes it sound complicated but science is trial and error so the more $$$ you have the more errors you can make, the more errors you make the more you learn. really all you have to do is get a wide band and make sure all your tuning stays in the safe AFR's and your fine. a knock sensor that allows you to listen or gives a warning is also very valuable. personally I don't like other people to touch my car! so I do all my own work.
anyways if your interested got to this link http://allobd.com/proddetail.asp?pro...PMITSUB&cat=49 hope you like it!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuevo888 View Post
really all you have to do is get a wide band and make sure all your tuning stays in the safe AFR's and your fine. a knock sensor that allows you to listen or gives a warning is also very valuable.
I wanted to quote and point out that this is NOT true. There really is no such thing as "safe AFRs" in a vaccuum. It is not safe to have 11.0 AFRs across the board with 25* of timing. Also, it would probably be safe to have 12.0 AFRs with low boost and low timing, though not optimal.

AFRs cannot be tuned alone. It's an intricate balance between AFRs, timing, and boost. There are also many other factors that come into play, but those are the main 3, and you CANNOT tune one while ignoring the others.

I don't recommend trying to listen to knock or worrying so much about a knock sensor. Just use logging software that shows knocksums and timing along with the wideband for AFRs.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
Send a message via AIM to EVOBR350
Just to add to this, I ran into the same issue. I just upgraded from a stock turbo to a 35R and was wondering weather to keep the stock ecu or go AEM. From talking to Buschur who did all the tuning and work, they will only reflash a stock ecu if your running 680cc injectors or lower. They said some tuners out there are ok tuning a stock ecu with bigger injectors, but some tuners wont and will only tune a car with bigger injectors like I have (1000cc) with an EMS. So before you do this think about the shop that will tune your car and what injector size you want to run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement