Apexi Power AC - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Apexi Power AC

Whats the difference in getting a Apexi Power FC, or a Reflash, or just a AFCII?
Is the FC just a fuel/ignition controller, an is it piggy back or Stand alone system?
Which one would be a better choice as far as tuning goes. In about 3 months im getting a GT35 turbo and all the supporting mods, so think long term.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The Apex Power FC is a full stand alone management system. It will give you full control over everything and is in the top tier of tuning options. The one thing that I don't like about the system is that there is no knock safety measures. This is something you might not be able to tune on your own, but the software is out there if you want to try.
A reflashing is going to give you full fuel and timing control, raise the rev limit, injector scaling, etc. It is inexpensive now thanks to openecu and a $90 cable, and more user friendly;
http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
The easiest and safest to use out of all of these the the S-AFC II. It's just a piggyback, controls fuel very well, but you have no direct timing control, and no bell or wistles. It's crude, it's cheap, but it works. Here's a GT30 with 660cc's, stock fuel and timing tables, making 400whp+/350+tq on 91 octane(!);
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=25715.0
What are you looking to do with the GT35? How comfortable are you with tuning?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

The 35 im going to use to drag with, and gona be a somewha daily driver. I dont have a whole lot of experience with tuning outside of an AFC. Just was trying to figure out wha route i should take. So as of right now the FC is going to be the way that i go. But for now im on 650cc, megan ex manifold, tsudo down/exhaust, an upgraded o2 dump. I have cam gears ready to install, but just waiting on the cams to get here. (264in/272ex). Thanks for the info

Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

The power fc will take care of everything, with the ability to remove the maf sensor. It is pretty much the same as the ecu flash except for that. A power fc does have a few other little things but I think this would be the most important for you. When running a maf sensor they tend to get inaccurate with the screens fluttering and become an obstuction when pushing your car to the extremes like with a 35r, its not to say you cant do it but there are problems with it. If your looking for a reliable 400-475 hp I say find a very competent shop and stick with the ecu flash, if your looking at 500+ stick with a standalone like the power fc. And its ability to not control knock is a concern but it does have a safety warning feature that you can set to turn on and visually let you know if your experiencing knock. However if your running race gas like you should, with a turbo of that magnitude than you really shouldnt experience knock if your tuning was good in the first place, on 91 you might see knock from time to time with that size turbo dependent on load and weather. Something you may want to think about with standalone is when tuning, especially with such a large turbo, set your boost to the turbos efficiency range, then pull back your timing to safely run that boost level. You will make more power by being in the turbos operating efficiency range than by running 22 psi on it with max attack timing, better to be at 36 psi with cautious timing, you will see more power and a better curve on the dyno. No matter your choice, stay away from an safc. Its great in bolt on applications and as something to screw around with, but when your going to be running something like a 35r it has no place. Hopefully that helps a little.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yup Thanks guys, that does clear everything up for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement