boost spiking randomly (Have EBC) - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry boost spiking randomly (Have EBC)

I have an 03 evo and have a few thing done. i installed a greddy EBC over 4 months ago and it worked great. well recently i changed my spark plugs and took off intake pipe uper intercooler pipe, bov and etc. to check for coolant leak. i installed it all back on and after that things have been bad. tonite i took it all off again thinking i had a boost leak but it still happens. heres in detail what happens:at full thrtl. at about 2500 and as boost rises it hits 16 and jumps up and down and then spikes up until i let off its not good and im not sure if its the EBC or what. any suggestions would help me solve this problem.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

It seems like within your ? you have answered it yourself. Everything was fine until you pulled off all the piping and now it's not. Now, I am assuming that all plugs are gapped properly and that the plug connections are all correct and you don't have 2 seperate issues causing what seems to be one problem. All the lines for the EBC are still tight and connected properly as well? None of the lines were nicked or pinched inadvertently? If you truly have no boost leaks anywhere and all connections are correct the EBC may have to be recalibrated or have the settings dialed back in. Who knows, the EBC may have crapped out as well or gotten something clogged in a line somewhere after reassembly.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yeah, it's not obvious exactly what is wrong, but it's obvious that you caused the problem when you took everything off. You do not remove all your parts to get rid of boost leaks. You get rid of boost leaks by doing a boost leak test with a boost leak tester (http://vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html), and then once you find the leaks, you fix them. Taking everything off and putting it all back on gives you a higher chance of CREATING leaks than removing them. That's a separate problem, though. It seems that during this process, you screwed something up with the boost system, so you should check all the boost lines to be sure the EBC connections are correct and that no lines are pinched or damaged.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

re

first i never messed with the ebc at all. second all i did was change my plugs and pressure test my radiator cause of a small leak. in the process i removed the intake pipe and upic pipe. Ok tonite i put in my stock bcs to see if the greddy was shot, and the boost spike stoped but the boost wouldnt go over 11.6psi. then i switched my plugs back to the ones i had before and still the same. i am gonna boost leak test tommorow at work but wouldnt i hear a boost leak? and the fact that i can hear the turbo and it sounds like its not spooling as lound and hard as usual so what do u guys think? Thanks, Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
No, man, you wouldn't randomly hear a boost leak while driving. We're not talking about a boost leak so large that your IC pipes are disconnected. If you haven't done a boost leak test before, and you have been removing and re-installing IC and intake pipes, then you likely have multiple boost leaks. Pressurize the system with a boost leak tester, then use a squirt bottle with soapy water to find the leaks. When the system is pressurized, you should hear the air hissing out, but you'll need the water to pinpoint the location.

Your stock BCS gave 11psi, because you didn't hook up the stock system properly. It only works if you use the OEM hoses with the 2 restrictor pills and only if those exact hoses are re-installed in the exact OEM configuration. 11psi is the base wastegate pressure, and that's what happens when the boost system isn't working - happens all the time.

Plugs are not related to boost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement