Boosting High End Problems !!! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Boosting High End Problems !!!

Hi guys/girls,

I have a Misti Libero and it has a EVO 1 motor in it, it has has a fair bit of money spent on the engine. The problem I am having is when I am running 19psi and up in the high revs it sounds like the blow of valve is going off constantly and runs like utter S**T. Anyone have a idea why this would be doing this for. Keep in mind that the engine has supposed to have 25k spent on it.

Also, car seems to puff out quite a bit of smoke when giving it to it, think it is fuel smoke coming out of the muffler.

Thanks for any ideas on what this could be.

ANIMAL69ER
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
$25k in a motor? maybe the whole car and swap with install.... if its studdering its plugs. get some ngk iridiums in the right cold range for it. what is done to the motor and what kind of fuel and turbo are you running? most give off smoke ora cloud when taking off depending on a lot of factors, like exhaust, turbo condition, tune.....

with all of this said if the plugs dont do it make sure the timing is right on the cams and the crank.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Midwest
Yeah that is all I can think of too..It has to be your plugs.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
$25k in a motor? maybe the whole car and swap with install.... if its studdering its plugs. get some ngk iridiums in the right cold range for it. what is done to the motor and what kind of fuel and turbo are you running? most give off smoke ora cloud when taking off depending on a lot of factors, like exhaust, turbo condition, tune.....

with all of this said if the plugs dont do it make sure the timing is right on the cams and the crank.
Yeah 25k Inc labour though.

Yeah I might change the spark plaugs and see if that works, hopefully it does, I had in tuned on the dyno but they didn't know what it was, they tuned it to 300Hp and can't remember if they said it would not tune anymore or they would not tune it anymore as there was a knocking noise coming from the engine. But found out the knocking noise was the shaved cams? they were hitting whatever they hitting and that was the noise, but told that it was only natural they would do that been shaved n all.

Think there was over $7000 in labour lol. I bought car all done so cost me F all.

I'll list a few things it has had done to it.

Wastegate
intercooler
GT35/40R
MSIBC?
Walbro 550Hp pump
Cam gears HKS 272's
B.O.V.

There a tonne more but CBF typing it all out.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

only 300 hp? from a gt35r? 19psi? something is seriously wrong and the owner who paid 25k for that motor got ripped. Shaved cams? i'm not familiar with that
Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
only 300 hp? from a gt35r? 19psi? something is seriously wrong and the owner who paid 25k for that motor got ripped. Shaved cams? i'm not familiar with that
Yeah that's correct, well it had 350Hp when I got the car but had to retune as he was running the car on 98 octane, but we only have 91 & 95 in my city so yeah, lost 50Hp from doing that, the Dyno tuners said the car could/should push of 450Hp for what has been done to it and running it on 98 octane but yeah. Well something was shaved in there, maybe whatever hits the valves? i don't know much about engine bits and stuff.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
And yes, there is something seriously wrong, that's why I am here asking. Could run 22psi but not much point as it splutters hard out when feeding it running high boost and got the revs up. Like I said in the orgi post, it sounds like the blow off valve it going off rapidly when this is happening. Someone told me the blow off valve is set at a certain Psi and it is hitting that psi so that's why it is going off like it does.

I have nothing but trouble with cars, had 2x Subarus and they were a nightmare too lol. I can't win haha
Old 06-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

what BOV is it and have you tried to adjust it to a higher setting? it should only take a second. Also swap out the plugs! 25k into it and it should run +30psi, IMO.

you had problems because they were subarus. subaru tends to use glass to build every transmission except the 6spd STI tranny.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
what BOV is it and have you tried to adjust it to a higher setting? it should only take a second. Also swap out the plugs! 25k into it and it should run +30psi, IMO.

you had problems because they were subarus. subaru tends to use glass to build every transmission except the 6spd STI tranny.
Not too sure of the BOV, but my mate had a lookski at it and he said that it is fully adjusted now and can't adjust anymore. Yeah it probably could run 30psi if I got it tuned for that but I could not see the engine lasting to long.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

i run 25psi daily and have 175k on my stock motor with full bolt-ons!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
i run 25psi daily and have 175k on my stock motor with full bolt-ons!
Uhh huh
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

thats pretty much what most evo8-9's do with just bolt-ons is run 24-25psi with the evo big 16g stock turbo. my motor, trans, and diffs are all original with no work besides a clutch and cams. Turbo is original and still pushes +25psi daily if asked too, with 175k! the onyly people around here that have dropped upwards of $20k on a eclipse turbo motor and AWD conversion made about 600whp. your car should put out alot more power if there truely is $25k under the hood.

oh yeah we wanna see this car post up some pics! I love seeing 4g63t equipped vehicles!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
thats pretty much what most evo8-9's do with just bolt-ons is run 24-25psi with the evo big 16g stock turbo. my motor, trans, and diffs are all original with no work besides a clutch and cams. Turbo is original and still pushes +25psi daily if asked too, with 175k! the onyly people around here that have dropped upwards of $20k on a eclipse turbo motor and AWD conversion made about 600whp. your car should put out alot more power if there truely is $25k under the hood.

oh yeah we wanna see this car post up some pics! I love seeing 4g63t equipped vehicles!
Yeah the 25k is not all engine parts I don't think mate. The guys at the dyno place said he should put out 450Hp for what it has done to it. + I think part of that 25k is labour too. The engine is nothing to look at really, only a monster turbo and that about it really that sticks out.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

post up some pics! i wanna check this beast out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement