Calling all ECU gurus & a question about ECUFlash software??? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Calling all ECU gurus & a question about ECUFlash software???

After looking over ECUFLash I have a couple of questions;
Can the high and low octane maps be bended, or made identical, so your basically running one map? This applies to the timing maps too. Basically make all the corresponding cells the same, so when the map switches nothing is changes. The ECU will think it's doing it's job, but it really doesn't, because the settings/cells are the same between the two maps. Does that make sense?
These leads me to the next question;
Would this mess with the ECU's safety parameter of reducing timing when it detects knock? I've alway been under the impression the the ECU just pulls out an acctual number of degrees of ignition timing, or does it just revert to the low octane map and it's those values that are expressed in a log?
Basically does the ECU pull timing when there's knock or does it jump to the low octane map making the identical high and low maps a idea bad?

Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Larry, I have some info to help you, but I don't have all the answers. Here's the big thing:

I pulled my ROM off my custom Dynoflashed ECU, and I found that my high and low octane maps were identical. I am not certain, however, if this is normal for every tune or not, because Al gives me kickass tunes that are more aggressive than regular customers (safety concerns), and I am running alky 24/7. If I were running pump gas daily, I am pretty sure he would have tuned my low octane map and left the high octane map with more aggressive AFRs and timing. I say this because he offers a dual stage flash where you get a more aggressive tune when using higher octane and higher boost. THis leads me to believe that my current tune with identical high/low maps is not standard.

I do believe the ECU still pulls timing based off how much knock it reads regardless of how those maps are setup. It does not only revert to the low octane map.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement