CEL Question - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Tri State
Send a message via AIM to EVOBR350
Question CEL Question

OK guys, I have an 06 evo ix Buschur Racing Ed. 350. Here are the mods that came with the car...
BR 2.5" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Downpipe
BR 3" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel Catback Exhaust
BR Air Filter Kit
Oil Pan Heat Shield
BR Polished Exhaust Manifold Heatshield
BR Spark Plug Cover
BR 2.5" Upper Intercooler Pipe w/ stock BOV
BR Mini Battery Kit
Ported Exhaust Manifold
Ported Turbine Housing
Ported 02 Housing

...the car ran perfect. Then, needed more power and started modding for eventually big turbo. I had one of the local mitsu techs install BR Short ram intake, BR 3in ss downpipe, BR 3in test pipe with cel fix, oil catch can, BR Front and rear motor mounts, BR short throw shifter, BR shifter bushings, greddy shift knob, walbro 255 fuel pump, aem wideband, autometer boost gauge, and Forge mbc. Once we installed it all, the "Service Engine Light" came on. Checked it with an Actron OBD II pocketscan and threw two codes. One I know "PO420" Catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 1) is because of the test pipe install even though I installed the cel fix. But the other one was "PO171" System too lean (bank 1). So I was very concerned. Ran the car and ran fine and the wideband showed 14.5-15.2 at idle cuz I know its looking for 14.7 in the open loop system. Once I put it in third gear and pull to redline it goes rich like mid 10's to 11.6 at most. So I erased the codes once I got home and have been driving the car now for about 2 weeks and only the first code shows up now. The "PO420". So anyone know what happened here or should I be worried. Getting a tune and flash soon with other mods once I get up to Buschur....
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

The CEL fix in Buschur's exhaust works on most cars, but not all. You're either going to have to use an additional mechanical fix or some electrical means.

My solution on my IX (and it has worked perfectly since day one) was this: http://www.jscspeed.com/univ/products/gpmoto_celfix.htm
Old 04-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
As you said you're rich under high load/WOT, so the lean condition was probably at part throttle and idle due to the BR intake. The ECU has probably compensated for it by now too. Get a hold of a logger and see where the fuel trims are at. As long as they are not way off (+15%), I wouldn't be worried.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
As you said you're rich under high load/WOT, so the lean condition was probably at part throttle and idle due to the BR intake. The ECU has probably compensated for it by now too. Get a hold of a logger and see where the fuel trims are at. As long as they are not way off (+15%), I wouldn't be worried.
I completely forgot to address that specific code.. Anyhow, you're right on the money. However I suspect over time the trims will drift more than what's comfortable and this problem will reappear. Best bet is to have a tune done for the specific mods you've now got on the car.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

oK, thanks for the info. Need to get a data logger bad. Any advice on a good one for the price? But mid may Ill be up to Buschur to get cams, valve springs, retainers, intercooler exedy clutch kit, and few other goodies (maybe big turbo). So ill be tuned then for everything at once. Ill keep this updated if anything else should appear.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

If your going cheap http://obdloggers.com/mitsubishi.htm

I just got a tactrix cable and you can use a laptop to scan with that. You can also reflash your ecu with the tactrix cable and openecu software.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Ok, your tactix cable, you have a link to purchase that, and do you have to purchase software seperate or can it all be done w/ that cable. Also, what type of port do you have to have on the laptop, serial, usb?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You buy it at Tactrix.com - that's why it's called the Tactrix cable. The software is EvoScan and must be purchased separately for about $30. The cable is USB, so that's what you need on the laptop.

Read my EcuFlash tutorial in the tuning forum to get an idea on this stuff, but remember that the tutorial is for EcuFlash rather than EvoScan. Regardless, they use the same cable and are great resources.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Sweet. Will have to read up on that for sure. Thanks Warr for the info. And everyone else on this topic! Happy Easter by the way fellas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement