check engine light. Code says Engine Overboost situation. any ideas - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

check engine light. Code says Engine Overboost situation. any ideas

The code gets thrown if my car backfires a little. Im not sure if a sensor or my boost cntroller is bad. its set to peak at abot 19-20. havent changes anything besides an AMS intercooler. Another question in this question, My car seems to be running a little rough any ideas.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

When does the backfire happen? Perhaps it's a missfire from fuel cut? Is the code the 234? If so I'd say turn down your boost controller. Else check your vacuum tubing for clogs and free flowing.

My 2 cents...

~Shane
Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You get that when you hit fuel cut, but fuel cut could never be mistaken for a backfire...at least I _hope_ it couldn't be. Are you really backfiring, or are you hitting a brick wall while at full boost? Successive fuel cuts causes that code and is not good for your car. Adding an FMIC and being in cold weather would be a recipe for fuel cut, especially if you're not tuned or are tuned by someone who doesn't remove fuel cut.

If your boost was set to 19-20 in normal weather, then you probably are running more than that now. However, it's not really about how much boost you run, but rather how much air you flow across the MAF. In the winter, even at the same boost level, the air is more dense and thus more likely to reach the built-in air flow limit for the ECU.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

once and a while it will back fire but sounds more of a miss. boost is at no higher than 20 PSI. and has been since i put on the intercooler. But now that i think about it when i put on the intercooler its was in the high 70's but now we got a cold front and its a bit cooler. Im in Florida. So could it just be the tune? I just want to make sure this is not hurting my car. It only really happerns when I open it up and boost is about to peak. sorry if this is all over the place trying to give as much info as possible.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Well, if you're not hitting fuel cut, then something else is causing the problem. I have never heard of that code coming up from anything besides fuel cut, but you don't seem to be hitting fuel cut, because you would KNOW it - it really is like hitting a brick wall. If you're just sputtering or missing, then that would indicate you need fresh plugs, but that wouldn't cause that code. You may want to get some new NGK BPR7ES and gap them to .026.

Otherwise, have it checked out by a local Evo shop.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok ill try the plugs then mabe call up the guy about the tune if that doesnt work. what about the ngk iridiums i think its brk7ix or something like that. they any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement