Do I Need Flash? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Timeslip: 12.8 @ 109
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Do I Need Flash?

Hello, I have evo 05 with stage 1 mods, with out any safc or flash running 21psi right now.
First I run 1/4 with everything stock with 92oct(I useG-tech pro SS), did it 13.9sec and about 260HP. Then I installed Apexi Air Filter, Apexi Full 3" Exuast, and Agency power BOV(not recomended but sounds nice), did it 13.7sec and about 275HP. Now I Installed Hallmen BC and 30/30 boost gauge and raise the boost to 21psi, which gave me 1/4 mile 13.2sec/105mph, 0-60 4.4sec, and about 300AWHP/280TQ!
Do I need a flash? Would it give me more awhp?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yes, you need a flash, and you can't rely on that g-tech. Those times are very weak for an 05 anyway. In fact, your most recent "time" is a little slower than I ran when my 05 was stock. Get out to a real track/real dyno and get some real numbers to verify. The power numbers it's giving you are way off, because a 105mph trap is only 250-260whp. Maybe it's giving you estimated crank HP? You can make close to 300whp with mbc/tbe/bov/fuel pump/flash with a good tune and good combo of parts.

It was a mistake to add the intake without a tune, and you already know the BOV was not a smart purchase, but that's your decision if you want to stick with it. The exhaust is fine, and the MBC+gauge are very good. Now, you need a Walbro fuel pump then a nice flash. You can get a mail-in flash from Dynoflash for $199. Too bad your timing is just a little off - Dynoflash was just in Seattle last weekend doing custom tunes! He'll be back, but you really do need a flash now. It will give you some nice power gains, make the power smoother, fix the erratic AFRs caused by that intake, and give you some nice features (raised rev limiter, no fuel cut, launch control, etc.).

Remember, take it to a track! Don't rely on a G-tech...

Old 09-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Are you planning to upgrade the turbo? If not, throw in an AFC, make some adjustments, and call it a day.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The good thing about the G-tech isn't that it matches a real 1/4 mile track, but that you can use it to show the improvments made when you switch out to different parts. That is the only good function of the G-tech and that is the exact way you used it

Keith
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's assuming the driving skill doesn't change. You can have drastic differences in estimated time and trap speed just from different driving and different weather or road conditions.

SAFC is ok, but it costs more to get less while requiring you to know how to do it yourself, buy a wideband, and get a datalogger/pocketlogger. I do not think that is wise in this situation, but if you want to go that route, you have all the support you can get right here with several of us who have used the SAFC extensively.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry
Are you planning to upgrade the turbo? If not, throw in an AFC, make some adjustments, and call it a day.
Thanks,
But My stock air filter box was much worse than apexi AF(info about this product), On Stock AF I couldnt lunch evo real good, they just keep droping to 2000 rpm after I lunch on 5000rpm!
After I installed Apexi AF I ran g-tech and on 1/4 mile .2sec improved And Now with Apexi AF I can lunch 1st gear with 5000rpm and rpms not droping down(sorry about my english, Iam from Europe), So I dont think I want it to put stock air filter back
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, you need a flash, and you can't rely on that g-tech. Those times are very weak for an 05 anyway. In fact, your most recent "time" is a little slower than I ran when my 05 was stock. Get out to a real track/real dyno and get some real numbers to verify. The power numbers it's giving you are way off, because a 105mph trap is only 250-260whp. Maybe it's giving you estimated crank HP? You can make close to 300whp with mbc/tbe/bov/fuel pump/flash with a good tune and good combo of parts.

It was a mistake to add the intake without a tune, and you already know the BOV was not a smart purchase, but that's your decision if you want to stick with it. The exhaust is fine, and the MBC+gauge are very good. Now, you need a Walbro fuel pump then a nice flash. You can get a mail-in flash from Dynoflash for $199. Too bad your timing is just a little off - Dynoflash was just in Seattle last weekend doing custom tunes! He'll be back, but you really do need a flash now. It will give you some nice power gains, make the power smoother, fix the erratic AFRs caused by that intake, and give you some nice features (raised rev limiter, no fuel cut, launch control, etc.).

Remember, take it to a track! Don't rely on a G-tech...
Maybe you right, but my brother have 93 3000gt vr4 with few mods and he went drag racing and he make 13.38sec with 103mph! I dont think 250 or 260whp make faster than that! Anyway thanks for your info...
Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

3000GT weighs 3800lbs. Your Evo weighs 3200-3300lbs, so you can't compare. I ran [email protected] in my 05 when it was stock, and it dyno'd 248whp.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
3000GT weighs 3800lbs. Your Evo weighs 3200-3300lbs, so you can't compare. I ran [email protected] in my 05 when it was stock, and it dyno'd 248whp.
Wow... 13.1 on stock evo. Is it possible hit 12's on my evo with flash?

After I installed all parts I felt like going from 248whp to 280whp...
Why I did 13.9sec/99mph on g-tech when my evo was stock? I know that g-tech is not accuret but appr. close
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, it's possible to hit 12s on a stock Evo and an Evo with only a flash. On my 05 MR, I added an SAFC with no other mods and ran [email protected] with my own tuning. A flash would be even better.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Yes, it's possible to hit 12s on a stock Evo and an Evo with only a flash. On my 05 MR, I added an SAFC with no other mods and ran [email protected] with my own tuning. A flash would be even better.
Ok thanks, can you guide me step by step the way I can flash it?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

So If ran 105mph on 1/4, thats about high 12's right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement