Does the Evo have a dry sump? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Does the Evo have a dry sump?

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to ask this, but I hope someone can answer my question:

Not too long ago, an S2000 blew its engine on track as a result of oil starvation. This was caused by the fact that the S2000 was running on semislicks and since the stock S2000 engine does not have a dry sump, high cornering Gs on the sweeper caused oil to slosh away from the oil pump and the result was a blown engine

I'll be moving on to semislicks in the next week, and would like to find out if this is something I need to be worried about, if the 4G63 engine has already got a dry sump to prevent oil starvation from high cornering Gs
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

It's wetsumped.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

That means that with hard cornering, there is a chance my engine could suffer from oil starvation. How do you guys avoid this problem? Besides not cornering at such high speeds on track, obviously

Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have you talked to AMS, GSC, Works or any of the shops that run time attack? I'm sure they've got the answer you seek.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
That means that with hard cornering, there is a chance my engine could suffer from oil starvation. How do you guys avoid this problem? Besides not cornering at such high speeds on track, obviously
Hasn't been an issue or point of concern in our racing circles. I'm pretty sure my cornering is quite hard considering my relative track times, but it hasn't been a worry.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know one fellow had a series of problems with his engine that his mechanic ascribed to oil starvation. I'm inclined to believe he had more than his share of gremlins.

To really get a handle on this you'd have to ask ams, john Mueller at rrc or one of the other shops that deals in road race as a primary reason for existence.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've also been reading about oil starvation on cars which are coming off the line hard (drag racing). It was fixed w/ some pickup modifications..

Kinda-sorta off topic, but it should be noted that it's not just cornering that people are noting oil starvation.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh, that's NOT good. The question is, how do we prevent this? Is there a modified oil pan for the Evo that vendors sell?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

have not seen a reworked oil pan as of yet.

still, although there may be a few incidents that were attributed to oil starvation the number that does not is significant enough that the racing population doesn't seem to worry about it.

but then to get a definitive answer you may need to contact Road Racing suspension guru
http://www.muellerized.com/about.html

who also maintains several race cars

good luck and tell us what yo find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement