Figured I would make my first post on this board an informative one...
Some of you might have seen this on the other board already but I figured I would post it here too.
These are my findings after spending about 3.5 hours on the dyno exploring EcuFlash.
The free software can be found here: http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash
The cable to use it can be bought here: http://www.tactrix.com/
Unfortunatly I picked a really bad day to mess with EcuFlash on my car since it was about 90F+
on the Gruppe-S mustang dyno. :shock: But, it was a good learning session to get myself more familar with EcuFlash. I spent about 3.5hrs and about 25 dyno pulls messing around with EcuFlash. Very cool piece of tech.
I zeroed out my EcuPlus piggyback. 0 timing changes, 0 fuel changes. Only thing I kept on was knock compensation for safety and I also used EcuPlus to log all my pulls.
First off, I tweaked the Injector scaling and also the injector battery voltage compensation since I run 720cc injectors.
I did about 4-5 runs to 4000-4500 RPM just to make sure AFRS where in check. I also monitored my fuel trims at idle and cruise to make sure the LTFT / STFT where in spec.
The car ran pretty lean the first 2 pulls with no fuel and timing changes. Around 11.7-12.4 AFR. This was to be expected since the stock fuel / timing settings are well, for a stock car. Mine isn't stock.
First thing I noticed with the EcuFlash fuel tables is that the AFR numbers in the table do not match up with what the cars actual AFR output. These are meant for a bone stock EVO and even then I don't think the AFR numbers would match. This is a very important thing to know.
You cannot go into the maps and input 11.1 AFR if that is your target AFR to tune. Your car will run bloody lean. Basically ignore the numbers and think of the whole map as a matrix that you can slide rich or slide lean. Smoothness counts here just like any other method of tuning.
So I basically richened it up globally and did a couple more pulls. I started to see that a Flash is ALOT more consistant run to run then a piggyback is. The car was still running a bit lean on spool and in the mid range then became pig rich up top. Sounds like what a stock evo does right?
I think my baseline after getting the AFRs in the safe range was approx 253whp/234trq. This was with about a 11.5-11.6 on spool and peak torque going to about 10.2 AFR up top.
Then I started doing full pulls and tuned for about 2hrs. :lol: Once I got my AFRs up to a nice strong and very consistant
11.1-11.2 I started messing with the timing tables. With the tables at stock I was running very very low timing, about -1 to 1 degree advance at peak torque and about 16-17 degrees up top.
I slowly added a degree of timing at various places in the RPM band and worked my way up to getting about 4 to 5 degrees advance at peak torque to about 18 to 19 degrees advance up top. At this point the car and the room was just way too hot and full of dirty air to continue tweaking. The car started knocking and the TQ and HP refused to advance and on some pulls even dropped. I decided to call it a day, or night at this point. :lol:
Here is where I left off... to be continued of course.
Please remember it was just reallly really hot (90F +) and the car refused to make any decent trq numbers because of it. Hell, I am suprised I made this much HP! The curves are really the thing to look at here.
Overall I am very very happy with this piece of tech. The car is much much smoother now then with the piggyback and I am sure alot of that has to do with properly scaled injectors. The car is also much more consistant
pull to pull. Once I got my AFR locked in, the AFR and the plot of the AFR was rock solid pull after pull.
I still have a bunch of playing to do with this before I am 100% satisfied and I also want a day that isn't 90F on the dyno to really see what EcuFlash can do number and power curve wise.
One big thing I noticed on the drive home is the AFRs actually got leaner
on the street, which is usually the opposite of what has happened to me before. The AFRs hit about 11.8-11.6 on 3rd and 4th gear pulls which leads me to believe the loads changed. So I need to continue tweaking the car to at least make it safer in my eyes.
Here are my stock and tweaked Fuel and timing maps from today. Noticed that the target AFRs on the maps do not match the actual AFR output of the car like I noted above.