Using EcuFlash, you have direct control over flashing your own ECU. It uses a flashing cable, software, and your laptop. You can have as many different maps as you want (pump, race, valet, stock, drag, circuit, auto-x, etc.), and you can switch maps in seconds as log as you have the laptop and cable handy. The purpose of this thread is to explain how to get started and how to use this awesome tool. Although this can be used for SELF TUNING, I highly suggest that most people rely on a professional tuner like Dynoflash to send you a e-flash (through email) for you to flash yourself, then if you want to tinker with the parameters, you can, but be very careful, because this can and will fry your ECU or blow your engine if you don't know what you're doing. Most people will just get e-flashes and load them on their own instead of mailing in their ECU, or they will get custom tuned in person with multiple maps, save them on their laptop, then switch between them whenever they see fit.
****Important note: If you have or get an EcuTek flash, then EcuFlash will not work****
1) Purchase flashing cable from Tactrix
Connect both connectors here (credits to Speed Element):
2) Download and install the _FREE_ EcuFlash software from OpenEcu
3) Once you receive the cable, take your laptop and cable to the car, connect them together, then open the EcuFlash application. Click on the "download ROM" button, and you should be able to get your current tune in a file that is now on your laptop. This is either your stock tune (if untuned) or whatever you've been tuned with (if flashed).
4) Using this ROM, you can make a copy and modify it if you know what you're doing and have the proper monitoring devices. Otherwise, you can just email this ROM to Dynoflash along with a $50 PayPal payment, and he will email a new tuned file back to you. With this file, you hook up everything then flash the new file to your ECU. Voila, you are tuned!
5) Another great way is to get custom tuned in person (e.g. Dynoflash tuning trip), and ask for a custom pump gas tune along with custom race gas tune at no extra charge. You would need your own race gas for this, but you would get custom tuned for both and would be given both files. You would then have your stock/original map, a custom pump gas map, and a custom race gas map. Per request, you could also get a Valet map (keep people from revving high or launching) and a stock map if you were already tuned before getting EcuFlash. All of these files would be yours to do with as you please - use them to flash back and forth or use them as baselines for your own tuning adventures.
If you want to download and play with a stock 05 ROM, here is one for your viewing pleasure (credit to Speed Element):
****Do not use this file to flash your own Evo even if you have an 05****