EcuFlash Setup Instructions and Tutorial - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
EcuFlash Setup Instructions and Tutorial

Using EcuFlash, you have direct control over flashing your own ECU. It uses a flashing cable, software, and your laptop. You can have as many different maps as you want (pump, race, valet, stock, drag, circuit, auto-x, etc.), and you can switch maps in seconds as log as you have the laptop and cable handy. The purpose of this thread is to explain how to get started and how to use this awesome tool. Although this can be used for SELF TUNING, I highly suggest that most people rely on a professional tuner like Dynoflash to send you a e-flash (through email) for you to flash yourself, then if you want to tinker with the parameters, you can, but be very careful, because this can and will fry your ECU or blow your engine if you don't know what you're doing. Most people will just get e-flashes and load them on their own instead of mailing in their ECU, or they will get custom tuned in person with multiple maps, save them on their laptop, then switch between them whenever they see fit.

****Important note: If you have or get an EcuTek flash, then EcuFlash will not work****

Steps:
1) Purchase flashing cable from Tactrix for $89.

Connect both connectors here (credits to Speed Element):

2) Download and install the _FREE_ EcuFlash software from OpenEcu.

3) Once you receive the cable, take your laptop and cable to the car, connect them together, then open the EcuFlash application. Click on the "download ROM" button, and you should be able to get your current tune in a file that is now on your laptop. This is either your stock tune (if untuned) or whatever you've been tuned with (if flashed).

4) Using this ROM, you can make a copy and modify it if you know what you're doing and have the proper monitoring devices. Otherwise, you can just email this ROM to Dynoflash along with a $50 PayPal payment, and he will email a new tuned file back to you. With this file, you hook up everything then flash the new file to your ECU. Voila, you are tuned!

5) Another great way is to get custom tuned in person (e.g. Dynoflash tuning trip), and ask for a custom pump gas tune along with custom race gas tune at no extra charge. You would need your own race gas for this, but you would get custom tuned for both and would be given both files. You would then have your stock/original map, a custom pump gas map, and a custom race gas map. Per request, you could also get a Valet map (keep people from revving high or launching) and a stock map if you were already tuned before getting EcuFlash. All of these files would be yours to do with as you please - use them to flash back and forth or use them as baselines for your own tuning adventures.

If you want to download and play with a stock 05 ROM, here is one for your viewing pleasure (credit to Speed Element):

http://www.speedelement.com/images/o...8%20JM9693.hex

****Do not use this file to flash your own Evo even if you have an 05****

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is also an optional datalogger that you can purchase and download for a mere $15. It is an awesome logger that I will now use all the time instead of my old pocketlogger, because it utilizes the same cable:

EvoScan

Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Common problems and subsequent troubleshooting tips:
1) Software simply doesn't work: Must have WinXP (preferably SP2).

2) Error loading FTD2XX.DLL: Connect the cable to the car and laptop BEFORE opening the EcuFlash application, then it will recognize the connection and install the proper driver. After this, go to Options>Ports and select OpenPort1.3.

3) Unable to connect to vehicle interface: Click on Options > Ports > OpenPort1.3. This option will not show up until you've taken care of #2.

4) Can't access or see some parameters: Click on Options > Options > User/User Level > Advanced

Old 06-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

This looks interesting.

Two questions. You said if you have a ECUTek flash, this ECU Flash will not work:

1) What is the cause of this? Does the ECUTek flash use a different kind of data file than this ECU Flash uses, or something? What exactly is it that makes these two systems incompatible?

2) How do you get around this? Get reflashed back to stock?

Thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

When you get EcuTek flashed, it requires the purchase of a license that then locks the ECU. It is EcuTeks way of being proprietary with their program.

As of now, I don't know of anyway to get around it.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

just got tuned my Tuning Technologies. They are awesome!! They even used ECUFLASH!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

I did the download and its telling me that The software didnt pass Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. IS it just giving my that because it does not have the signature of microsoft xp, or is there a problem somewhere? Im going to hold off on the install.
Tactrix OpenPort Vehicle Interface Drivers :: was what failed.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsniper
I did the download and its telling me that The software didnt pass Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. IS it just giving my that because it does not have the signature of microsoft xp, or is there a problem somewhere? Im going to hold off on the install.
Tactrix OpenPort Vehicle Interface Drivers :: was what failed.
Not sure - I haven't heard of that problem, and I have it running on XP.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

If I get the flash and bring it back to stock settings, can the dealership or anyone for that matter tell. I am trying to keep withhin warranty for now and if I will get bagged I will avoid getting flashes even with the nice #'s I can get with my 9.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, they can hardly even tell if you don't flash to stock. They can't see that you have been tuned - they can only tell if the ECU has been modified, but they wouldn't know WHAT has been modified. Even then, it requires a special tune and special knowledge. I've yet to hear anyone have a flash detected. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I haven't seen it reported on any Evo site.

Then, if you flash back to stock, then there is no change - it's just the stock map. They wouldn't know the difference. If you're that worried about your warranty, though, you shouldn't do a single mod.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

I just got the flashing cable and tried New version 1.28 of EcuFlash.
I have an 03 Evo USDM.

Everything loaded fine and flashing cable recognize by my laptop running WinXP with SP2.

There is no "download ROM" button. Only button available was "Read from ECU" button.

So after getting everything connected, launched EcuFlash v1.28 and clicked on the
"Read from ECU" button, I get an error!
Here is my log:

[00:02:47.230] Version 1.28.716
[00:02:47.240] 8 memory models read.
[00:02:47.631] 71 ROM metadata models read.
[00:02:47.631] checksum module "subarudbw" loaded.
[00:02:47.631] flashing tool "wrx02" loaded.
[00:02:47.631] flashing tool "wrx04" loaded.
[00:02:47.631] flashing tool "sti04" loaded.
[00:02:47.631] flashing tool "sti05" loaded.
[00:02:47.631] flashing tool "mitsukernel" loaded.
[00:02:47.631] flashing tool "mitsukernelocp" loaded.
[00:02:47.631] flashing tool "mitsubootloader" loaded.
[00:04:39.491] sending init sequence 1 (0001)
[00:04:42.746] sending init sequence 1 (0003)
[00:04:46.011] sending init sequence 1 (FFFF)
[00:04:48.745] no response to any known code

Now I got CEL .

Did I miss a step? Am I supposed to have the car on when trying to download my ROM?
Thanks in Advance
Old 09-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

The car should have the key in the on position, but not be cranked.

I can't remember what causes that exact error, so ensure you do all these things:

1) Uninstall EcuFlash
2) Put the car in the ON position, connect the cable to the car and laptop, then re-install EcuFlash.
3) After installation, open the program while still connected to the car and the key in the ON position
4) Click on Options > Options > User/User Level > Advanced
5) Click on Options > Ports > OpenPort1.3

Then read from the ECU (same as download ROM).

Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

photo

Thanks! I did what your steps posted plus needed .Net 2.0 installed. I found out that I needed to run ECUFlash ECU Unlocker in conjuction with ECUFlash to get it to "Read".

I'm trying to decipher my ROM. I've been recently Road Tuned by a well known Tuner. So judging on what I'm comparing to a stock Evo8 ROM fields are not the same.

Attached Images

Old 09-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, you've been given an encrypted file so that no one else can read the parameters. It's a method of self-preservation to keep proprietary tuning methods out of the hands of other tuners and backyard guys who are taking EcuFlash for free and calling themselves "tuners."

Old 09-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

So backing up this flashed rom is still valid to upload into my ECU? Lets say (small chance) that I had to take my car in for service and they flashed me due to TSB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement