Evoscan and wideband q's - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Evoscan and wideband q's

Alright so i just got my flash a couple of days ago, and was browsing the forums and read about Evoscan. My question is a buddy of mine suggested i should save up and purchase a wideband along w/the Evoscan so i can make accurate logs and send them in for more accurate flashes when i upgrade. So is the wideband absolutely needed, or would i be ok w/ just the Evoscan?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
You need a wideband o2 for AFRs. EvoScan can accept a feed from your wideband, but without a wideband o2, it can't get AFRs - it can only get narrowband, which isn't good enough.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

So i should get the wideband then? Well the Ecuscan works w/ the same tactrix cable so w/ the wideband installed it should just read the a/f and everything else. Hmm, I'm contemplating on whether or not I should invest in the wideband now or cams. What do you think? Will the maps i generate w/out the wideband be insufficient enough or inaccurate to get a better tune?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, cams provide a very nice 30whp/30wtq gain throughout the powerband, so that's always a good idea. The wideband is useful for not only helping to improve the tune, but also for monitoring your car at all times to ensure you don't suddenly run dangerously lean.

You said "Ecuscan," but it's either Ecuflash or Evoscan. Yes, Evoscan CAN be made to accept the wideband signal from SOME brands of wideband o2s, but you will need to verify which ones first. I have an AEM UEGO, and it can work through Evoscan, but you have to set it up properly. However, if you get some non-compatible wideband, you should still be able to download the logs from it somehow even if you don't use it with Evoscan.

You said you got flashed recently, so why are you worried about generating maps (logs) now with EvoScan? Who tuned you? Are you trying to change your tune for some reason? What's the real deal?

Old 01-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry bout the mix up, I meant Evoscan. Well i got a mail in flash, not a custom tune. So a buddy of mine suggested if i get the Evoscan w/a wideband, i can get a more accurate retune when i upgrade parts, and w/ the Evoscan I will be able to see knocks among other things. So pretty much get close to a custom tune w/ the Evoscan and wideband is what I've been told. I was curious about the Evoscan because I want to monitor how well my flash is and see if the map was running to lean or to rich in certain areas. Pretty much a safety measure of sorts. Up here I'm not able to reach a tuner to get an actual custom tune so I'm trying to get as close as possible to a custom tune by getting maps sent back w/ my personal mods and reflashed for them.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I hate to throw this out there, but I have seen a number of times someone that has a wideband 02 on their car get a custom tune(road tune) by a reputable tuner who uses their own "calibrated" 02 sensor. I've seen/heard of there being a .3-.4 difference in read outs between the owners and the tuners. I say this because, and it's completely my opinion, if you tell a reputable tuner everything you have then they should have enough maps on hand and experience to put you almost spot on barring some previous issue with your car. What I mean is a tune can't fix you boost leak etc...... I think you're doing the right thing in wanting to log with Evoscan and picking up EcuFlash as well should you want to do some tweaking yourself. Even if a major tuner lived right next door I'd still want EvoScan to log knock counts, injector duty cycle, timing, tps, load, etc..... Now if you're wanting to do some pretty serious tweaking on your car or plan on doing some more seious upgrades then doing the wb02 after a base flash your happy with would be a good idea.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, that makes sense. It is a very wise move to want to keep track of the health of your car an to verify your tune. You never know what could be wrong, and logging with Evoscan + wideband will give you tons of info while also allowing you to get your tune improved now and in the future.

However, you should definitely be able to get a good custom tune in your area. There are multiple traveling tuners who have been there recently and who will continue to travel out there due to the demand, so keep your eyes and ears open for future opportunities.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys. So warr, you said you had to set up the AEM UEGO properly in order for it to work w/ Evoscan. What exactly do you mean by that? I'm real interested in purchasing that exact wideband for sure since i local shop here carries them.

The last i heard was Al came up here around September or August not to sure when, but that was the only tuner i heard that came up. The only All-wheel drive dyno up here is at the university and its a Mustang. It's too bad i missed it. Well my parts are going in this Thursday. Hope to feel some gains from it all. Wish me luck
Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Don't need a dyno to tune, so that's not a limitation. Al will be back out there, too, as soon as the NW people need him to come back.

Ok, as for the setup of the AEM, it's just a matter of getting the right cable, doing a little splicing (or soldering), and feeding it into your laptop. Here's a thread with an explanation of what you need to do.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=223042

I just received the serial-to-usb cable and will use it when the UEGO gets installed. I have not yet done it myself, and I still need to go to Radio Shack to get the female D-sub connector. It's only $1.79, so I don't want to spend $6 on shipping when ordering online...

Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

So warr, i've been told that the Innovative LM-1 has an a serial cable ready to plug into a laptop. Do you know if this is a good wideband to go with, or should i just grab the UEGO? The price is about 50 more.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

The LM-1 is definitely a good option. I just don't think it is yet supported through EvoScan. Plugging it into the laptop is not the same as interfacing it with EvoScan. Be sure to find that out first, because that would kinda suck if it didn't work. I know for sure the UEGO signal can be fed right into EvoScan, though.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

don't forget the logging package that comes with the innovate product, allows you to log your afr with your ecu info on their logger, or vice versa

for a clear idea of what I am saying visit their web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement