flashing...good or bad?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

flashing...good or bad??

would it be better to get a flash then tune with an safc or to just go ahead and tune with the safc...then when i get more mods....get the flash??
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosmartevo8
would it be better to get a flash then tune with an safc or to just go ahead and tune with the safc...then when i get more mods....get the flash??

IMO; flashes suck and never considered them. Here's why;
1. You get one, and then you still need an AFC on top of it to make it right...? What's the point?
2. Unless it's close by you have down time That's fun. ...and then you upgrade something else and have even more down time.
3. I can only speak for myself here; but tuning an AFC on top of a flash is a pain in the ass. Some won't admit it, but it's suspected that the timing is locked. Makes detecting knock impossible.
4. Every car is different. There is no one tune that is good for similar modded cars... ever. I guess that's why you need an AFC to make it right, but that takes you back to point #1.

AFC (1 time install), an EBC/MBC, and a logger and your set for a long time. Why bother with a flash?

Old 09-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry
1. You get one, and then you still need an AFC on top of it to make it right...? What's the point?
2. Unless it's close by you have down time That's fun. ...and then you upgrade something else and have even more down time.
3. I can only speak for myself here; but tuning an AFC on top of a flash is a pain in the ass. Some won't admit it, but it's suspected that the timing is locked. Makes detecting knock impossible.
4. Every car is different. There is no one tune that is good for similar modded cars... ever. I guess that's why you need an AFC to make it right, but that takes you back to point #1.

AFC (1 time install), an EBC/MBC, and a logger and your set for a long time. Why bother with a flash?

I think the flash is a good thing for the ability it has to raise your rev limiter, and get ride of fuel cut. Never heard anything about a reputable flash vendor "locking" the timing...

Keith

Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

hmmm... . i dont know...buschur racing said not to go above 7200 rpm anyways unless you modify the head...is the fuel cut thing such a big deal. plus, then if i add more boost, race gas, cams, hi flow cat, injectors...blah blah..i would have to pay to have it re flashed...
Old 09-21-2005, 03:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
With an upgraded turbo, most of your gains are in the expansion of the rev range due to the turbo being able to push enough air for high RPM operations at high boost. I reved my stock head to 8,000 RPM on a daily basis for over a year with zero problems. My mod path had me go to a stand alone engine management befor I got to the point where fuel cut became an issue.

Later,

Keith
Old 09-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
...is the fuel cut thing such a big deal...
No. You "block"/or remove so much air the ECU sees that fuel cut is no longer an issue. Then you put in bigger injectors that puts it further out of range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I think the flash is a good thing for the ability it has to raise your rev limiter...
If your modding to the point of pushing the engine past the limiter, you should be considering a stand alone, not a piggyback, and definatly not a flash... just as you have done.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry

No Idea why you would need a SAFC on top of it, my flashes make great power ECUTEK is even better as you completely rewrite the code instead of flashing it. That is the route I am going. Al has also proven there is NO power difference between the Power of a flash and the power of a AEM EMS untill you get past 550WHP. Then you need something that can understand 5 bars if you wana run 35+PSI.

For teh money a flash owns, but it is ONLY as good as the tuner, thats it.

Get a UTEC, tuned yourself
Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

how do you tune a flash??
Old 09-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
how do you tune a flash??

With an AFC, like this (scroll down to Tuning stock injectors or flashes...);
https://www.evotuners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=315

Old 10-10-2005, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

i have a mail-flash and was never happy......... my A/Fs where in the 9's!!!!!!!!!!...... im tuning ontop on my flash with wideband and AFC..... the best mods i put on my car
Old 10-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Tri State
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmikeymike
i have a mail-flash and was never happy......... my A/Fs where in the 9's!!!!!!!!!!...... im tuning ontop on my flash with wideband and AFC..... the best mods i put on my car

AMEN, he is learning fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement