help!! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

help!!

hey guys.
i got a problem with my car. lately i have been boosting only 16 lbs. i know i normaly boost around 24 to 25lbs. i have no boost leaks (i have checked twice already). is thier anyway it could be ecu related??
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check all your hoses, not just the IC piping....that's usually the first sign of a vacuum leak. Also if your BOV is malfuntioning it may be leaking.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Explain exactly how you performed the boost leak test just so we can be sure.

Have you changed anything on the car recently? Any new mods, or have you uninstalled/re-installed anything?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

the only new part i put in my car is the exedy stage 2 clutch kit, and a used 03 evo 8 tranny 5 speed and now all i boost 16 lbs... i che4cked all my ic hoses and even my BOV, it seems fine in working order... thier was a incident when i finished putting in my tranny in my car though. my battery died and didnt have enough voltage to crank my motor... it fried my turbo timer. i put a new batttery in thier. but i dnt know if it might of done anything to my ecu!!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you have an MBC, then the ECU isn't affecting boost. Do you have an MBC or EBC?

Again, how did you perform the boost leak test? You didn't answer that. You said you "checked all my ic hoses and even my bov." Ok, how did you "check" them? If you visually inspected them, then you have not done a boost leak test.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

i dont have a mbc or ebc every part i put on my car the ecu uped the boost for me so unless i had a faulty boost gauge evrything i had on my car as far as boost is stock i have not done nothing to it as far as ajusting boost manualy or electronicaly.

ouhh sorry i didnt answer that but i did a visuall inspection and also retorqued the clamps just to be on the safe side, i dont know excatly if thats the way u do it but thats always worked for in the past. warr. is thier another way to check them??....
Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

There is a link to a How-To (sorry I don't know it off the top of my head) but it shows you how to build a device that lets you plug the turbo inlet and run pressurized air into the motor. This will let you see/hear boost leaks.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_evo_209 View Post
i dont have a mbc or ebc every part i put on my car the ecu uped the boost for me so unless i had a faulty boost gauge evrything i had on my car as far as boost is stock i have not done nothing to it as far as ajusting boost manualy or electronicaly.

ouhh sorry i didnt answer that but i did a visuall inspection and also retorqued the clamps just to be on the safe side, i dont know excatly if thats the way u do it but thats always worked for in the past. warr. is thier another way to check them??....
Yes, of course there is. That's what we're talking about. You can't say there are no leaks unless you do a boost leak test. Visually inspecting the system and tightening clamps doesn't do a bit of good. You have to borrow or create a boost leak tester, then pressurize the system. Here is a writeup on how to do it, but this is for a DSM, so the turbo inlet coupler will be bigger for your Evo:

http://vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

As for no boost control. I thought you had a lot of mods, but you don't have a boost controller? What did you do to run such high boost without a boost controller? Did your tuner do it? Did you do it? Was it done through modifying the boost hoses with different restrictor pills? If the boost system is stock, it never should have been running 25psi to begin with.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks warr. that really helps.
And as far as for boosting high all my mods are only...... Turbo inlet, k&n filter w/maf adapter, turbo manifold, o2 housing, 3 in. exhaust all the way (no cats), cut out, hard pipes (upper and lower), and a vishnu flash. But when i got my falsh the tuner had to mess with the flash a little due to the fact that i had a inlet with a k&n filter, and not the stock suction box with a drop in. So i dunno how i can boost that high? I started boosting high when i put on my turbo manifold and o2 housing...!!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh, Vishnu flashes included a boost hose modification.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

yeah they removed my boost pill..... so is my current boost safe??... for me to run or should i buy a boost controller and turn it down??
Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

25 is ridiculously high for 91oct. You had to know that already, though, right?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

yeah i do but thats why i was just wondering.... because i didnt mess with the boost so i didnt know if i could bring it down??... but thanks for the info warr...

I mean has anyone from here ever had that expierence with a evo or dsm??... cuz this is the first time i have seen a car boost that high without harming the motor( like head studs or anything like that)??
Old 08-24-2007, 06:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

It's not high enough to need head studs. It's just more than you should be running on 91oct. Even on 93oct, that's too high, and who knows, you may have harmed the motor and not know it.

As far as why it's only hitting 16psi, you have to do a boost leak test to find out where the leaks are...

Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

okay warr. thanks

yeah i found the problem my fuel pressure line was not connected and one of my vacum lines were poped out( from my boost gauge) so that was the problem i am boosting normal.!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement