Looking for a good engine managment - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking for a good engine managment

OK I have buschur stages 1-4 on my 03 VIII and I a going to upgrade to a Green turbo. I don't want to spend the money on something like AEM EMS. I prety much have it down to 2 choices. Either ecu plus www.ecuplus or greddy e-manage ultimate. Just looking for opinions on which one you guys fee is a better systems. Thanks in advance and please no "the greddy is better because I hae never heard of ecu plus" type replies. Thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Why not just use ecuflash?
Its free (minus the cost for the $90 cable) and uses the stock ecu.
Check it out at openecu.org
Old 03-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Or you can find a tuner locallay (such as Lucas @ Carz, or JustDSM) and others. They usually charge $150 or so to tune your ride with ECU Flash and it'll run just like stock with no wiring to deal with or tricky programs to manipulate.

Much better option IMHO.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

What it really comes down to is what you are trying to accomplish. Answer me this, what is it about these two systems that attracts you to them? Is it just price, or do they offer something more than what a flash can do.
I don't know all the features off the top of my head, but both are decent choices for entry level piggyback systems.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

No reason to upgrade your ECU. Mitsubishi has spent millions to make it work. We are lucky emough to have software to change and controll the car. Stick with what you have and spend the money on some other parts and a killer tune. Any questions, let me know.

Last edited by tobz; 03-30-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I haven't looked at ecuplus in a long time. What's interesting is that it now has "ROM editing." Maybe I'm wrong, but that sounds like ecuflash...
The ECU+ [ROM Editing]
If that is so, then why spend $550? And then the Greddy is going to be about $525 plus $100 for the harness.
AWD_XTC, have you seen these;
EcuFlash - OpenECU
EvoScan OBDII Mitsubishi MUTII DataLogger Scantool
Mitsubishi OBDII DataLogger - EvoScan
... that's a lot of control for $110.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

my car has a custom tune on it from dynoflash, what I am really looking to do it be able to run meth injection and a different map. The factory ecu has no provisions for a failsafe. If I had a a different engine managment I could have it set up so that I cold 1. have 2 maps and 2. Hve it setup so that if there was a fault with the meth it would switch back to the safer map.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've yet to see a system that will do that without the driver actively switching the maps himself (such as the UTEC). The Cobb accessport might be a better option for you as it's pretty much the same as ECU flash however you can change maps at will just by hooking up to the OBDII port and punching a few buttons. For meth you'll have to rely on a good system to tell you when there is an issue and your own instinct to recognize it and not use it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 329whp/305 lb-ft
Club Region: Midwest
Isn't there a failsafe opiton on meth kits to when it fails it restricts the amount of boost you can run which would help keep you safe?

Dennis
Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Isn't there a failsafe opiton on meth kits to when it fails it restricts the amount of boost you can run which would help keep you safe?
Yes. You can set it up to open your wastegate to restrict the turbo to, say, 5 lbs of boost.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

That won't do anything for his tune though...I'm getting the impression he wants to be able to swap back to a pump gas only tune if he has a meth problem. (LOL, meth problem)
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD_XTC View Post
my car has a custom tune on it from dynoflash, what I am really looking to do it be able to run meth injection and a different map. The factory ecu has no provisions for a failsafe. If I had a a different engine managment I could have it set up so that I cold 1. have 2 maps and 2. Hve it setup so that if there was a fault with the meth it would switch back to the safer map.
UTEC will hold multiple maps but won't switch them automatically. I don't recall the e-manage being able to do that, but then again I haven't looked at one since it first came out in 2000(ish).
Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
That won't do anything for his tune though...I'm getting the impression he wants to be able to swap back to a pump gas only tune if he has a meth problem. (LOL, meth problem)
But if he only wants the 2nd map to run "safely" then wouldn't cutting boost work just as well till you got your addiction..... I mean problem taken care of.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I guess if you meant like running 25psi on meth but if you run out of juice then drop to 21psi on gas only and a comparable map?

Dennis
Old 03-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

The AEM EMS will switch with the help of the control unit that comes with the meth kit. I did not know if either of the 2 systems I mentioned would and I was looking for suggestions on soethink that would. Also I think that the new version of the HKS FCON V-PRO will as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement