Looking for a good engine managment - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

While the F-Con and AEM are both wonderful units they are a bit overkill if you're only intent is for map switching. The programming put in to the stock ECU is phenomenal and does an excellent job of running your car day to day, in any condition. The knock tables and sensor work seamlessly to provide a safe running environment for you engine. Although the EMS and F-Con are very good they just can't compare to the safety provided by the stock ECU.

I would certainly look into the Cobb Accessport for your control. You can load many different maps for varying conditions and if your meth controller gives you a warning it woudln't take but a quick plug in and key stroke to go back to a pump gas map. And the price of the Cobb is half that of any stand-alone system.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

well the problem with that is if the line for the mth get clogged or the pump fails, etc then by the tme I realize it it might be to late, as of right now snow performance no longer offers the safe inection.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

That can happen with any management system. And if that's your biggest concern, don't use meth. Keep a few gallons of race gas for those days you wanna hit high boost.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

race gass it hard on O2 sensors and they are big bucks for thse cars
Old 03-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Some of the new Tephra mods have maps switching available with just a flick of a switch with the stock Ecu.

A good meth kit will have a failsafe on it. Your car also will go into the limp mode if something starts to happen, safer maps.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #21 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
No, race gas is not bad for your o2 sensor unless you use leaded, which is not necessary. Even then, it takes a long time to cause a problem unless you're running leaded 24/7. I still am on my factory front o2 after 3.5 years of hard racing and many miles worth of leaded 110-112 octane. With unleaded, there's no issue, plus you don't need to have pure race gas. A 50/50 mix of 93 and 104 lets you crank the boost and make another 30whp or more.

Anyway, there ar emeth kits with failsafes - you don't need some crazy engine mgmt for that, and if you're that worried, don't use meth. I used alky for over 2 years on a daily basis without a mechanical failsafe, but rather a combination of "failsafes" that helped keep things somewhat safe: non-aggressive tune, moderate boost (26psi), small nozzle (7), and late progressive spray (start @ 18 and peak at 26). I never had a problem and have since removed it in lieu of E-85, which is better than both race gas and meth.

Your stock ECU is fine. You can have as many maps as you want.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

Plus it takes like five sec. to change the map from a labtop. KEEP THE ECU and Cutom Flast it. Way Cheaper and plus It is safer for your ECU. Just my 2cents. I had a Utec and sold it as soon as I heard about ECUFLASH.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have run meth injection for almost two years straight, only swapping to my pump map when i'm out of methanol. You can tell when there is a problem, I had a nozzle that came loose and my afrs shot up, my kit is setup to kill the boost to wg pressure if there is a malfunction. There is really no need for any type of fancy ecu, the stock one with a flash is more than sufficient for what most people are going to do with a evo. I would concentrate on finding a alky kit that suit your needs and find a way to incorporate a failsafe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement