Need help choosing a tuning tool. - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Need help choosing a tuning tool.

My current setup is in my sig and over the winter I am planning on adding an alky kit and the "new" 20G.

My question has to do with tuning options. I dont live anywhere near any shops and with my future mods I will need more than my mail in flash. I want to be able to learn to tune it myself and be able to run a pump+alky map and a pump+alky+race fuel map. Ive been looking into either the MAFTpro or the ECUflash. I dont really want to do the AEM EMS as I dont have that much money left over and dont want to go full stand-alone if dont have to.

I would also like to not have to buy a laptop. What are some of the benefits/downsides to either system? What things might I need to take into consideration for either? Is there another setup I should consider? Thanks guys for any advice you can give.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, you cant do ver big sigs here, heres a list of mods.

10.5 hotside, Buschur intake, HKS exhaust, Hallman MBC, Buschur piping & FMIC, GSC 272/264 cams, DC Manifold, Buschur O2 housing, Dynoflash, Cusco Twin Disc.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No, no big sigs here. They are pointless because in the future if someone searches for "GSC 272/264 cams" everyone of your posts will come up. That would suck and lead the person though wading through a lot of BS... Not that your posts are BS... You know what I mean.
Anyways, you're better off with something suited specifically for your set up, and your right, something "just over the counter" isn't going to be optimal. Out of the two that you've mentioned, ECUflash sounds like the better option to me. Yea you'll have to buy the laptop, but the control over fuel and timing it provides will be better than the piggybacks. Plus you'll have it and the cable for logging which is crucial for monitoring your fuel and timing changes. MAFTpro will work, so will an AFC, they are easier, but if your going to be really pushing the boost (which I assume is why your getting alky too) your going to need more control they just don't provide.
Get the laptop and cable now. Practice on what you've got and start taking "baby steps." Make small adjustments and see and learn what those changes do. Lean to look for dangerous situations and what works best for your car. Once you've got that down and some experience, it will be easier to step to the next level.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you need a laptop with the MAFTpro though? I thought it came with a display. As for boost I will probably be running 27-28 on alky and Im not sure what the max is going to be with the 20G, I think Dave said 33-34psi, so not to crazy.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
If you don't have a laptop and/or aren't wanting to get one, then it will be tough. If you are willing to get a laptop, then EcuFlash + EvoScan is surely your best bet.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIevo
I thought it came with a display.
It may have a display, but does it have logging/playback capabilities? I was under the impression that some type of logger is still required.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

You do have to have a seperate logger, I was going to use a PDA. Maybe I can just pick up a used laptop somewhere.

What about boost control options with the ECUflash? I currently have a MBC and dont want to have to get out and change underhood everytime I switch maps. Also is the MAF sensor deleting cababilities of the MAFTpro that big of an advantage?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, you can't change boost levels with the ECU. People who don't use MBCs still have to modify the boost hoses and restrictors to get the desired boost levels, but that's even worse for your situation, because you can't CHANGE boost easily and quickly.

Is it so bad to get out and make a few clicks on the MBC when switching octanes? You have to put in the new fuel and do the flash with your laptop anyway. Turning the MBC a few times is cake...

Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

No, Im just lazy!! The reason I was wondering about the boost control is the MAFTpro offers boost control using a GM boost solenoid which works up to 35psi I believe.

If I do get a used laptop what are some of the requirements I should look for?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

You'll have to read the requirements of EcuFlash and EvoScan. Go to openecu.org and be sure to read my how-to for EcuFlash:

EcuFlash Setup Instructions and Tutorial

Old 09-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm definitely with you on "not" wanting to go with a complete standalone EMS. I've strongly thought of the ECUflash/EVO Scan combination. You might want to also consider using a wideband O2 sensor to monitor your A/F ratio and to ensure that things are within safe limits. *** MAYBE *** I'd be willing to bet that Big Al could do two maps for you. If that's the case, then the only thing you'd need is the Tactrix cable for about $90. Unless you purchased the ECUflash software when it first came out, I believe it costs about $30 to download. (I might be off a buck or two.). I know that you said that you don't want to be a computer but there are plenty of computers out there on the market that don't cost an arm and a leg for you to utilize the USB capability.

Last edited by pure_evo; 10-04-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement