New to data logging - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

New to data logging

Greetings everyone, Clayton pointed me over to this site. I did a couple of logs this morning with EvoScan and I'm still trying to decipher what I'm looking at. In the first log, it looks like I have a bit of a knock when pulling from low rpms in 2nd gear. The second log looks a little better, that was a first gear pull to 2nd gear and then lifted once I was getting close to rev limiter. Both times I was peaking at 19 psi with a taper to ~17 psi. No MBC per the SCCA rule set.

Any ideas or thoughts on the knock?
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs.zip (10.3 KB, 45 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you're only getting max 2 counts for about 3-400rpms. That's probably also about where the car is making max torque at like 3600rpms as well so I wouldn't think from what I've researched that would be anything to worry about. It looks like the knock count is clean in the upper rpms as well. Hopefully the ones with more time tested logging can chime in here for you though.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yeah, I analyzed it some for Russ in emails before telling him to post here and get some extra opinions. He's only seeing those low knocksums at peak torque, but you CAN see it affect timing slightly by dropping it to the 5-6* area instead of 7-8* where the map is set. On the 2nd log, he has no knock in either gear at any rpm, but you have to remember that these are low gear pulls with much less load. He needs to do some 3rd gear pulls to get a better idea of whether his car is knockprone or not. Also, boost will be higher than 19>17psi in higher gears due to the extra load, and that's what the car is tuned for...

Even so, his timing advance is great from 5000-7500, and it peaks right where it should at 19*.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys. On the way home tonight I'm going to log 3rd and 4th gear on the interstate. Although 1st and 2nd gear performance is what I'm after since on an autoX course I rarely make it to third.

I have another log that is showing a lot more knock in the 3K to 4K range but what was interesting about that is the octane reading suddenly goes lower, a little bit of bad gas I think.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmm, I think the octane rating is an indication of the ECU trying to drop to the low octane map. It could be caused by bad gas, but it isn't saying that your octane is actually lower. It's saying that the ECU is detecting enough knock to assume your octane is not sufficient for the current state of tune/boost.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol, bad gas If it continues to knock in the same rpm range in the same gear etc.. etc.. then I would think maybe pulling a bit of timing in that area or mixing in a couple of gallons of 104+ and then re-logging would be a start.
Definately post up some pulls that include 3rd and 4th gear when you get the opportunity.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ah, I understand! So the only bad gas was from the burrito last night

I was only able to pull a third gear log last night, traffic was too thick on the ride home but this is what I got.
Attached Files
File Type: zip log 3.zip (6.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Looks like timing was good and no knock. I noticed though that your tps didn't hit 100 until like 4800-4900 rpm. I'm guessing traffic was the reason you didn't go ahead and drop down to about 2500 rpm in 3rd and then mash it. I'm still soaking up as much of this stuff as possible so it would be cool for me to see if nothing else. I would think at 4900rpm you were past your maximum torque threshold for that gear, which would be where cylinder pressures are the greatest correct?
Also, on a serious note about gas. Do you get it at pretty much the same spot every time? Also, I think most places where they experience winter/summer seasons have different blends for the winter months with more oxidizers and other additives, but that is just kind of an idea and may just be a crutch of an idea at that.
Looking at the log I'm guessing performance was just fine on that pull huh?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cylinder pressures are greatest around 6k on the Evo, not around peak torque, although that can change with mods, turbos, etc. For Russ, he should be seeing peak cylinder pressure in the 6k area.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for that. I'm coming from the N/A V8 world and small displacement with boost changes the game in numerous aspects. Hopefully the Mustang will be sold this weekend and come spring I'll be hunting for my own 2.0L, AWD, grocery getter.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yep, there was no way I could drop down to 2500 safely and then go for it, I was lucky to get the pull I did! The pull was pretty good but did the 94 mph peak speed give it away?

I'm still looking through the log from yesterday but it seems like the knock is usually in the 3K to 4K range. This what I logged yesterday, it didn't repeat later in the day though. Yes, we are running oxygenated fuels at the moment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip log 4.zip (1.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

After looking through all of my logs, other than the last log I posted, when the knocks do happen it's typically in the 2800 to 3800 range.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah, that's at peak torque where timing is strong. It gives you strong torque on the boost spike, but it can occasionally cause a little knock if it's on the edge. The winter 91oct probably causes it. I don't have a problem, since I'm spraying 100% alky at peak boost.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

That last log you posted also looks like you never reaced 100TPS or WOT. Maybe your timing on the 91 is a bit much with the partial, but not peak throttle. Any thoughts on this? On your other logs, even the ones that showed knock. You didn't seem to get as high of a count even when WOT. Any thoughts on this or am I interpreting the log file incorrectly? I thought under WOT the ecu uses a different look up table for timing, inj. pulse, AFR, etc... This is why I mention it.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

It's closed loop vs open loop. Open loop is at high throttle where it tries to match the tuned fuel and timing maps. When it's closed loop at low or no throttle, it constantly searches for 14.7 AFRs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement