Reflash or a good old SAFC2? - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

i have 04 so the dealer ship can not detect the ecu flash?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert martai
i have 04 so the dealer ship can not detect the ecu flash?
Nope.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
by the way to update this thread why it has been somewhat revived, I have a TBE, MBC, Intake, BOV, and safc2. I need to save some money for some other stuff and then i will have the fuel pump and my flash soon. I like the launch control, but i don't really care about launching it high RPMs. I would like to have the 5k launch like the 05's. Can dynoflash do that on my 03?

Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo
by the way to update this thread why it has been somewhat revived, I have a TBE, MBC, Intake, BOV, and safc2. I need to save some money for some other stuff and then i will have the fuel pump and my flash soon. I like the launch control, but i don't really care about launching it high RPMs. I would like to have the 5k launch like the 05's. Can dynoflash do that on my 03?
Yes, you can have Al set it at whatever RPM you prefer. However, unlike the 05/06s, you won't be able to disconnect the switch in case you want to remove that 5k limitation. You have to remember that HIGH rpm launches aren't necessarily bad. It all depends on how you use it. A bunch of 5k launchs can hurt your car just as much, because it requires a lot more slipping of the clutch, which heats it up and causes hotspots. You can launch from 6k without dumping the clutch, so don't let that scare you. Maybe 5500rpm would be a nice middle ground. The worst thing would be if you needed to launch hard and were stuck with a 5k limiter that couldn't be turned off...

Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 05 EVO
Club Region: SoCal
I did not want to start a new thread since my question is similar to the thread's starter. I have an 05 EVO with TBE and K&N panel filter and JDM DV. I am torn between getting a flash and getting an SAFC2. I want to road race the car in track events. And at the track I will use 100 octane gas. I like the fact that the SAFC allows two maps. I have never tuned a car before but I am willing to learn if soemone in the know is willing to teach me. I read threads about the SAFC and I understand the theory behind it. It is the actual practice that I lack.

I also like the mail in dynoflash since it is reasonable in price. But it seems that you need a fuel pump with the flash, but not with the SAFC2. Is that correct?

Is a fuel pump mandatory with my TBE/kn filter AND road racing? Or is it just a safety issue? I read that the stock pump tends to overheat with aggressive driving. Is that correct?

So should I go with SAFC2 or mail-in-flash for road racing?

One more thing...I have an Innovate LM-1 wideband. Is that enough to tune an SAFC2 with? Or do I need a logger?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1266
I did not want to start a new thread since my question is similar to the thread's starter. I have an 05 EVO with TBE and K&N panel filter and JDM DV. I am torn between getting a flash and getting an SAFC2. I want to road race the car in track events. And at the track I will use 100 octane gas. I like the fact that the SAFC allows two maps. I have never tuned a car before but I am willing to learn if soemone in the know is willing to teach me. I read threads about the SAFC and I understand the theory behind it. It is the actual practice that I lack.

I also like the mail in dynoflash since it is reasonable in price. But it seems that you need a fuel pump with the flash, but not with the SAFC2. Is that correct?

Is a fuel pump mandatory with my TBE/kn filter AND road racing? Or is it just a safety issue? I read that the stock pump tends to overheat with aggressive driving. Is that correct?

So should I go with SAFC2 or mail-in-flash for road racing?

One more thing...I have an Innovate LM-1 wideband. Is that enough to tune an SAFC2 with? Or do I need a logger?
You should not be torn between these two at all. There is no comparison. However, you may want to consider getting a base flash AND THEN using the SAFC on top of it to fine-tune at the track, on the street, and when adding mods. I have done all 3 methods: SAFC alone, flash alone, and flash w/SAFC. I have also run this combo at the road course on 100oct. Here are your answers:

1) You don't NEED a fuel pump upgrade with a flash or an SAFC, but it's highly recommended for both reliability reasons, safety reasons when running higher boost, and for tuning reasons. I say to go ahead and get one - $85 for piece of mind and more tuning flexibility.

2) You need an MBC. Add that now for another $85. This will allow you to get the boost you want and also raise it on race gas if you want.

3) If you get flashed for pump gas, then you could go to the road course and race with 100oct and no change to boost or AFRs. The reason for this is that it would provide you an extra layer of engine protection when doing 25-min sessions at full boost. Al's flashes are already on the conservative side, but using 100oct or at least a 50/50 mix would ensure safety for the duration of your event. However, you can also keep your base flash for daily driving, then at the track with 100oct, you can raise the boost a LITTLE, fine-tune a LITTLE with the safc, and then make more power at the track but without being too close to the edge for comfort.

4) No, a wideband is just half the puzzle. You definitely need a logger to keep track of timing. AFRs in a vaccuum are irrelevant. Timing alone is irrelevant. AFRs and timing together paint the picture you need to see.

Summary:

Get a Forge UNOS MBC, get a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, get a base Dynoflash, then if you decide to, get the SAFC w/patch harness followed by a pocketlogger from pocketlogger.com.

Any additional questions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement