snow meth injection kit question?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

snow meth injection kit question??

Ive been looking at the snow performance stae 2 meth/water injection kit. I was ust wondering if it would work with only a flash ecu and no tuner. am i going to have to adjust anything or can i just hook up and be good to go?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

*removed*

Last edited by Warrtalon; 03-23-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Deleted potentially dangerous misinformation
Old 03-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

re

thanks, My friend has the same kit on his S4 and pulls some timing and leans out the fuel a little. i was trying to figure out if it would be a wise idea to do it if i dont have a way to adjust any engine peramiters.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Doesn't that kit come with some type of computer control ? He probably pulls fuel and timing to let him run to the point where he would knock if didn't use the meth. I don't really know a whole lot about it, but i was just thinking if your boost was higher and you started knocking you use this to stop the knocking and give you the power you were being robbed of. I'm sure wartalon will be in here to enlighten both of us. I think he uses alky injection on his .
Old 03-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

re

ya that sounds right, thanks for the input. Later
Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Whoa, whoa, whoa. No, you cannot run meth/alky without a custom tune. It is very dangerous and very complicated. You must get a full custom tune after installing it. You aren't even supposed to turn it on until you can get tuned. If you turn it out without tuning for it, it will make you run so ridiculously rich that it will basically flood the engine and kill the plugs.

Because the meth/alky burns as fuel, you have to remove tons of fuel, but you typically get to raise timing. If you don't tune yourself, then don't mess with it until you can get custom flashed by an expert Evo tuner. If you do tune yourself with EcuFlash, then go for it.

They are testing a prototype controller that will adjust AFRs for you by changing the flow of meth, but that is still being tested. For now, get the regular stg2 with failsafe, then be prepared to get tuned before you start using it.

WVturbo, you are confusing meth/alky injection with race gas. With race gas, you can just go out, crank the boost, and rock out. You can also use race gas to avoid/eliminate knock from your current setup, if necessary. This is not the same as using alky/meth injection, though.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just to clarify, is the usual upgrade path: cams before meth injection before an aftermarket turbo?

Of course you could do them in any order you wanted, but I thought I remembered reading on here that this order was a good rule of thumb.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can do them in any order you want, but typically it's cams > alky/meth > big turbo. The point is that you can get great gains from cams with any turbo, and it's a safe mod. Then, after you've done cams and everything else on the stock turbo, the last thing is alky. You leave it until the end, because it's a bit complicated and a bit more risky. You do it before or at the same time as a big turbo so that you don't run around on straight pump gas at very low boost where your big turbo is almost useless. The alky/meth allows you to run near-race-gas levels of boost with more aggressive tuning, which helps you get your money's worth for the turbo without having to run race gas 24/7.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks!

The current plans for the next round of mods for me will be: O2 sensor/manifold/cams, with a new tune done to take full advantage of the additional hardware.

Of course, this probably won't be for another year, so ehh...
Old 03-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

o2 sensor? I think you mean o2 housing - be sure to get the regular Ebay stainless steel one that Buschur sells. As for the manifold, be sure to port/coat your stocker - don't waste money on an aftermarket one.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Good Save, I guess i was thinking of something else. Maybe intercooler spray. Who knows.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
o2 sensor? I think you mean o2 housing - be sure to get the regular Ebay stainless steel one that Buschur sells. As for the manifold, be sure to port/coat your stocker - don't waste money on an aftermarket one.
Yup, meant to say housing!

And I was probably going to go with Buschur for the housing (and for the manifold as well - as it's only $200 or so if you do the exchange program they have - unless you're talking about removing the part myself and sending it out to get coated?).
Old 03-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

To avoid downtime, I purchased a used stock manifold and used 10.5 hotside for cheap, then sent them both to Buschur to get ported/coated. When I got them back, I put them on, then sold my original stock parts for more than I paid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement