sputtering... any thoughts? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Tuning & Engine Management
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Tuning & Engine Management Engine Management, EGT temps, timing, wideband, datalogging, fuel trims, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

sputtering... any thoughts?

so i got my car 2 days ago.. ran like a freaking champ.. it had a 1/4 tank of 93 octane it if br we left the town where i bought it to go home. we filled her up w 91 when leaving town .. hour into the trip she started to sputter when getting into higher rpms... it was like she wasnt getting enough gas.. later we had to put in 89 octane to make it the rest of the way home...also put in two bottles of octane booster. the sputteringgot worse after the 89. it was a 5 hour drive thru a highway in iowa.. nowhere sold 93 octane on the way home. so the next day we put her on the lift and drained out the 89 and filled her up w 93 again.. i later talked to the guy i bought it from and he told me the car had a strict dyno tune on 93 octane.. she still sputters but seems to be improving. will she come out of it by herself? is the engine taking time to switch between the gas types? later we got into it a little harder and there were black puffs of exhaust coming out of the tailpipe after each shift. it seemed like i wasnt getting enough fuel... but the black smoke would be the car burning up excess fuel.. so now im confussed, unless its the car burning off the octane booster or unless the shitty gas somehow plugged up the injectors and the car is trying to deliver more gas.. i just got the car and no one here seems to know much about them... please help. there are mods but i dont know the extent of it. she supposedly runs 11.56 on 22psi w 380 hp... but she is turned back down to 16psi at the moment.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic-evo View Post
so i got my car 2 days ago.. ran like a freaking champ.. it had a 1/4 tank of 93 octane it if br we left the town where i bought it to go home. we filled her up w 91 when leaving town .. hour into the trip she started to sputter when getting into higher rpms... it was like she wasnt getting enough gas.. later we had to put in 89 octane to make it the rest of the way home...also put in two bottles of octane booster. the sputteringgot worse after the 89. it was a 5 hour drive thru a highway in iowa.. nowhere sold 93 octane on the way home. so the next day we put her on the lift and drained out the 89 and filled her up w 93 again.. i later talked to the guy i bought it from and he told me the car had a strict dyno tune on 93 octane.. she still sputters but seems to be improving. will she come out of it by herself? is the engine taking time to switch between the gas types? later we got into it a little harder and there were black puffs of exhaust coming out of the tailpipe after each shift. it seemed like i wasnt getting enough fuel... but the black smoke would be the car burning up excess fuel.. so now im confussed, unless its the car burning off the octane booster or unless the shitty gas somehow plugged up the injectors and the car is trying to deliver more gas.. i just got the car and no one here seems to know much about them... please help. there are mods but i dont know the extent of it. she supposedly runs 11.56 on 22psi w 380 hp... but she is turned back down to 16psi at the moment.
If you turn the boost down and did not adjust the fuel and timing maps then you are prolly running super rich. What kind of A/F readings are you getting. The smoke when you shift is not that big of a deal it is normal when shifting at high RPM. You need to check your spark plugs and put the boost back to what it is tuned for.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
start with 93 octane all the time....if you are running 89 and pushing it get ready for a new motor. Order some good plugs. the NGK br7iex iridums is what you ened gapped properly and before putting any more time or money into your car figure out what mods it has.....11.5 is a respectable time for 380whp. is this your first 4g63 powered car? are you familar with turbo and AWD cars?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

he only turned it up to 22psi on track days i think. and why would she run great on 16psi b4 and not after?

and im getting new plugs, anyone know what the gap should be? and no this is my first awd turbo 4g63 car... so i got lots to learn. just want to get her running smoothly again
Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO_MERLE View Post
If you turn the boost down and did not adjust the fuel and timing maps then you are prolly running super rich. What kind of A/F readings are you getting. The smoke when you shift is not that big of a deal it is normal when shifting at high RPM. You need to check your spark plugs and put the boost back to what it is tuned for.
and the apex thing reads between 3.4- 4.9ish... and the a/f and o2 sensor are lit up on the device, i really dont know what the number means..
Old 09-07-2009, 03:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

your apexi TT is junk for a/f ratio. wideband is the only way to go. Take the car to a good tuner and see what the deal is. The evo can handle 24psi daily with supporting mods. there should have been no need to change PSI. Start putting strickly 93 octane in the car and change the plugs to the ones i listed above. Gap i think should be about.024-.026 if the car was tuned for 22psi, even turning down the boost would not affect it based on boost pressure. GET A MOD LIST! and do not drive it hard before you drain the shitty 89oct fuel and put in 93 with new plugs. then give it a shot. with running that craptastic 89 fuel you probably fouled the plugs anyway, so now its just matience time. You bought a 03 evo......How many miles does it have? post some pics of the engine bay so we can have somewhat of a idea what you have so we can help. Also check in the tech section for articles about owning a evo

Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

just turned over 63000 miles. and i recently added to engine pics to my gallery.

what i know is...
mogan headers
mogan turbo piping..
mogan 3 inch catback exhaust with mandral bends
new valve sleeves?
twin plate clutch..
intake..
i tthink its an hks blow off valve
their might be cams..but the guy who owned it last only had it fora year.. he got it from a dealer and they dont know what was in it. so that kinda sucks..
380hp seems to be a lot for so little to be done.. so i will have to take a closer look and see what i can find
Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

i have never heard of mogan.......maybe megan racing.
was the timing belt done?

That is a turbosmart dual port BOV, junk get a evo IX BOV and call it a day. Valve sleeves????? not a mod i think i'm heard of. valve seals maybe? get someone to check out your car that knows what they are doing. also have someone check your tune to make sure its tuned properly

Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

You need to see a EVO tuner ASAP. NOTHING but 93 octane or higher should ever go in your car period. Get a wide band and change your plugs. Hope the cheap gas did not damage anything.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

somehow the plug in cylinder 4 came unscrewed. i changed all the plugs and the coil pack it melted. she runs a shit load better but there is still a sputter when i hit high rpms when gas is being demanded... and im getting evo tuner and a wideband sensor.. im working to try and resolve the problem quickly but need some help locating the problem... and honestly i live in iowa and there arent much but muscle shops around, im doing some searching for a tuner.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

well if its sputtering at high rpms or only when your on the gas. it could be:

Shitty fuel- USE ONLY 93 OR GET TUNED FOR 91
Boost/vac leaks- DO A BOOST LEAK TEST
plugs/wires- WHAT PLUGS DID YOU GET?????
Coil Packs- MAYBE ITS TIME FOR NEW ONES
shitty tune/no tune for mods- YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT MODS/TUNE YOU HAVE...FIND OUT
timing at the crank could be off. 9degrees is the magic number to explode..... IF ALL ELSE DOESN'T WORK, PLEASE HAVE THE DEALER CHECK TIMING AT THE CRANK

start small....what plugs did you buy? if you did not buy ngk bpr7eix or br7eix go back and buy them! gap right at .025 and see what happens. check all vac hoses. Do you have a check engine light on???? if so or even if not go to a advanced auto parts or autozone and have them check the code for free. if its a P0300 its a random misfire code, which could be everything listed above....

Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

also start reading in the newbie forum located here Newbie/General Forum - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum

lots of good info on the car itself and lots of info for people new to the 4g63 evo platform

Old 09-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

i had to get a/c delco for the moment, i have the ngk iridums ordered. and the new coil overs will be here thursday. i checked and tightened all hoses i could find. im really not familiar w turbos, how do i preform a boost leak test? and thanks a lot man. you have been very helpful
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

right now i say the plugs and shitty gas were your problem. i say plugs the evos do not like cheap plugs. do not push your car with those a/c delcos in there

Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

well i will get new plugs and am on my third tank of 93.. so i will let you know whats goin on after i insert the new plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement