im new here - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout > Member Intros
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

im new here

hey guys. I drive an 02 wrx and the steering rack is done for. dont ask how cause no one can figure it out it just failed and took the power steering with it. within the next couple of months i am looking to buy an evo. i was looking at a 05 because i dont want a brand new car with no warentee due to mods.

this site is sweet not all the annoying repeats like a lot of other forums.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 645whp/555 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to JohnEB
Welcome! People here are more to the point and try to help others make the right choice. 05 would be a great choice but my sugestion is before you buy a used evo find someone trust worthy to look it over very well so you don't get into something you regret.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Welcome, welcome!

As for what you choose, don't think you have to get an 05 just to get a used Evo. You can get a used 06, too. The IXs are the best by far, but if you can't get a IX, then definitely try to get an 05 VIII, since those are the next best.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks fellas. as for looking over the car what would you look for to give me some general ideas. just missing nuts and bolts and shit like that?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

No, not missing nuts and bolts , but if you notice any, then definitely be wary.

You'll need to check for:
- CARFAX report to see any previous damage
- Service history to see what has been fixed
- Mods to be sure what has not been modded, and be SURE it has not been modded then put back to stock
- Clutch to be sure it's not slipping, because the stock clutch is weak and doesn't last long. Plus, it's very expensive to replace/upgrade. Put the car in top gear at around 2k rpm, floor it, and when the boost builds, check to be sure it holds all the power and the rpms don't jump
- Tires to be sure the ones on the car are fresh because the stock tires only last 10-15k miles and are very expensive to replace
- Brakes to be sure the rotors aren't warped and the pads aren't worn

Before you purchase, show us the car and give us all the details as well as pics of the engine bay so that we can help you with some of this. Used Evos are very risky propositions.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

alright thanks. the two i have been looking at were a black 05 and a graphite 06 se. the 05 has like 35k on it and the 06 is at like 2k.

i was thinking about seeing if mitsubishi would order a brand new black RS since i really dont need the power windows and what not becasue i have a stereo that im going to put in and it would be some good weight savings as well since i autox and am going to start doing track days soon.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

They don't make the RS in black, so probably no luck there. The RS is great as a track car, but remember that it doesn't have any power accesories, no wing, no HIDs, and no sound deadening.

I would get the 06 IX SE all day long with 2k miles, dude. The IX SE is the best version ever made, because it has the extras that are good (HIDs, aluminum roof, FLSD, aero kit, diamond black lightweight BBS rims) without the extra cost of the MR. It's still lightweight while being the fastest of all Evos and having the good accessories. The only good thing it doesn't have is the Bilstein shocks from the MR, but that's no issue if you get coilovers.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

thanks man. down the road i want to go to a coilover setup but that will be after i go up a couple stages to maybe stage 2 or 3 depending on how i like the power. im aiming for 350-400 awhp/awtq. im 17 so i have a lot of stuff to learn about racing so i dont want to skip the stock stuff and go straight to coilovers without already have car control down.
my basic mod plans follow the buschur pakages but not the exact one from them. ebay tbe (i have one for my wrx and love it so i figure i might as well try it), SAFC, 255l, TXS 2 stage mbc so i can turn the boost down if a friend wants to drive or maybe a full ebc, prosport boost, oil pressure, aem uego wbo2, mounted where the radio is, and ss brakelines.

thats what i plan on after i get used to stock and then that should hold me over till i get some more money to do racing buckets/harness/harnessbar and then for stage 2/3.

i feel like a kid in a candystore haha.

i have one question. wrx's are notorious for the weak tranny, are the evo 5 speeds pretty durable or is it something that needs to be adressed?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Whoa, 17...ouch. I wouldn't recommend any mods whatsoever for a long time then. I don't know it is you are able to afford an Evo at 17, but my guess is that you live at home and have help from parents. The Evo is very easy to make very fast, so I would definitely hold off on mods for a while.

You definitely do not want an SAFC nor a TXS MBC, which is the worst for the Evo. The Ebay TBE is not that great, but that's up to your preference. It does work, and it's cheap. The planned gauges are all very valuable, so those are not a bad idea. You only need the boost gauge for your purposes, but wideband o2 and oil pressure are the next most important gauges.

Absolutely no reason to worry about getting "racing buckets." The stock seats are already race seats. You don't need a fixed back race seat until you have a cage and are racing competitively. The harness bar and harness are not good choices either unless you put them in only for autocross. The harness bar provides no safety, and you aren't supposed to wear a harness without a cage or roll bar. It's fine to use those for low speed autocrosses, but not for road racing or daily driving.

I think it's a great idea to learn how to master the stock suspension before upgrading to coilovers, but then again, I also don't think you should try to get anywhere near 350 or 400whp before learning to drive either. Definitely master the car in stock form, then get used to it all over again with stg1 mods. For an 06 IX, stg1 mods are TBE/MBC/Flash. For an 03-05 VIII, stg1 mods are TBE/MBC/BOV/FP/Flash just so you know. The best MBCs are the Forge UNOS and Hallman MBC. You don't need a dual stage or an EBC to turn the boost down. You just turn the knob to lower or raise boost - simple.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes the WRX 5-speed in notorious for breaking if you look at it wrong, the evo 5 speed is durable enough as long as you don't drive like a douche.

Jared
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks.
warrtalon i know exactly what you mean about the power that would not happen any time soon just mapping things out i like to have things planned so i have something to look forward too you know
thanks for the seat advice im used to wrx seats that are not so supportive and you slide around a lot. you just saved me like 1500 bucks man thanks

im definatly not going to buy the car and slap stage 1 on it the very same day. not a chance i know id get into a bad situation. i plan on running this year in autox completely stock and then probably going to stage 1 over the winter. my rex makes about 230awhp im super comfortable at that level but im definatly going to take it slow beyond that.

ive worked since i was 12 to buy my wrx and now it constantly breaks down so i am moving on. my parents pay insurance but other than that i pay for the car. im going to put about 8-10k down and then finance the rest. my dad is going to cosign the loan.

k so new plans for the future after learning to drive:
Forge Unos <---i read what you said about the click per 1/8th turn sounds super useful
ebay o2 housing
some tbe either buschur w/ bullet muffler and a race pipe or ... <-any suggestions?
fp <-id rather pay 100$ than have a fuelpump crap out and blow my motor even i i get the IX
Tactrix cable <--use it on my wrx and i like it alot.
ss brakelines <--preventative maintence
ss clutchline <-same as the brake lines

i do all the work on my car which is nice since theres no labor. i work at an autoshop so im pretty handy with a wrench. i scratched the surface on tuning with my rex but nothing super in depth but i want to learn a lot more because that is something i hope to do when i am older is own a tuning shop.

thanks for all the info fellas. if im being a noob let me know and ill look around a little more i know how annoying it is.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Those mods look great to me. You don't HAVE to get Buschur - I just consider the Buschur TBE w/bullet muffler to be the best. There are other powerful exhausts, but there are none as light except for ones made of titanium.

The only thing you're missing there is the tune. If you go with EcuFlash while using the Tactrix cable, then you can get your tune through email, which is known as an e-flash.

Again, you don't have to get a specific package, but the Warrtalon package that BR sells has the BR TBE, Forge UNOS MBC, boost gauge + pod, and a buschur flash that could be emailed to you. Just one option...

Old 03-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You sound like the kind of guy who will do well with any car you purchase, since it is your own money you are much more likely to respect it and take care of it than the average 17 year old...

Are your parents covering insurance on the EVO as well?

Keith
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

yea they will until i graduate next year then i will take it over which is nice im not gonna lie.

my friends all have super nice bmws and mercedes and what not becasue i go to a private school and all their parents have a ton of money and they all treat their cars like shit. compared to their cars my bugeye is a beater but i take better care of it than they do of their bmws its kinda sad.

my dad offered to buy me a 2006 wrx but i told him i wanted to pay for my car cause i dont like having stuff given to me...unless its car parts

warrtalon how loud is the bullet muffler. does it drone on the freeway at all? thats the only thing that i really care about.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

The bullet muffler is very loud when combined with the test pipe. However, I haven't been in a catless TBE Evo that doesn't drone on the highway. I would think only the stock exhaust wouldn't drone. If you have a test pipe, any exhaust is going to be loud. The Ebay TBE is catless and is very loud, too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement