im new here - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout > Member Intros
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

the loudness doesnt bother me its only if it sounds like there is a bug buzzing in my ear. im not really worried about it because i have 2 12s i am putting in that will drown it out.

what can i say its the highschooler in me
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

just thought id update you all on my situations. my dad and i are negotiating back and forth with the mitsubishi dealership here for the 05 evo viii. tomorrow a mechanic that i work with and i are going to the dealership and they agreed to let us put it on the lift and check it out.

right now the main point we are leveraging is it needs a new clutch. 40k miles on the original clutch with a 55 year old owner seems decent to me not much abuse.

carfaxed it as well. 3k mile services were all performed at the dealership.

im excited.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
There aren't 3k mile services - just 5k.

The stock clutch usually only lasts 20k unless babied, which may have happened here, but be sure to test it by getting on the highway in 5th gear at 2000rpm and flooring it. When the boost builds, if it doesn't slip, then it's ok for now.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

ill definatly ask to do that tomorrow. the reason i think it needs a new clutch is that i had to let the clutch pedal out a fair amount and it didnt seem to have a definate friction point.

what clutch would you recommend? i dont want something ridiculously high end just better than stock that can hold decent power.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

I only recommend the Exedy Twin HD, because I am not fond of organic single disk clutches based on experience.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

do lightened flywheels help in evos. wrxs they are marginal but if i am in there i figure if its worth it i might as well do it.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Not noticably, but it's a pretty standard mod when doing the clutch. The Exedy clutches come with their own lightweight chromoly flywheel.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinpsi View Post
i had to let the clutch pedal out a fair amount and it didnt seem to have a definate friction point.

what clutch would you recommend? i dont want something ridiculously high end just better than stock that can hold decent power.
There is a fluid restrictor in the slave cylinder that let's the fluid release slow, slips the cluch for you for smoother engagement, and makes the grabbing point hard to figure out. The good news is that it can be removed.
As far as which clutch; you really need to know wat your car is going to be doing. Is it a daily driver on the stock turbo or are you going for low 11's with a GT35r? That plus how much torque at the flywheel you're looking at will help you choose a clutch. You said 350-400 awhp/awtq; is this still the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrtalon View Post
There aren't 3k mile services - just 5k.
There is a "MAINTENANCE UNDER SEVERE USAGE CONDITIONS" schedule that recommends changing the oil every 3750 miles. Maybe that was the case.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #24 (permalink)

what i think im going to do first off is
evo mr dv
helix catback exhaust
radio relocation
prosport 60mm boost, oil press, oil temp

if the clutch needs replacing ill do the exedy organic clutch/gruppe-s flywheel combo from gruppe-s

im only doing a catback because i just want some sound right now after the test drive today i decided it was fast enough for me at the moment.
since im paying for the car i want to make sure its running good so the gauges are to monitor that of course.

turbolarry - im looking to go to those levels farther down the road. right now its a daily driver, autox and a little drag. im not going to add any more power until next spring, the turbo swap wouldnt be for a couple years.

i dont know if it was sever usage. 40k miles for an 05 is kinda high but im thinking that it was mostly long distance commuting.

how difficult is it to remove the restricor on the slave?

i intern at an autoshop so im pretty handy with a wrench so i do all my own work.

Last edited by boostinpsi; 04-02-2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

Turbolarry, yes, that's the schedule I follow for my car, since it's raced, but this was supposedly a non-abused Evo owend by some old guy. Ya never know, though!

I recommend against getting a cat-back just for sound, because the sound is nothing but trouble. It gets you in trouble and doesn't make much power. I would keep the stock exhaust in place and get a test pipe, because that would give the same amount of power without any change in sound. If you really just want exhaust noise, that CB will give it to you, though.

Upgrading the BOV without touching the boost isn't necessary. If you're going to do the JDM MR DV (not the regular USDM 05 MR DV), then get an MBC, too. An MBC is the cheapest, yet most effective mod. Then, of course, you'll want to be tuned, haha. Seriously, you don't have to worry about adding a lot of power, but it's best to do everything in the proper combination. 60mm is kinda huge for gauges, and you won't need all those until you go big on power, but that's again up to your preferences.

Removing the restrictor is simple - you can do it easily.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinpsi View Post
how difficult is it to remove the restricor on the slave?

i intern at an autoshop so im pretty handy with a wrench so i do all my own work.
It's not bad. Remove the intake hose, air box, and battery to get access to the front and top of the tranny. Remove the clip holding the clutch line to the top of the tranny so you can have some slack Remove the banjo bolt to the slave cylinder. Get a cup or something to catch the fluid. There's two 10mm bolts holding the slave cylinder and pull it out. Remove the bleeder screw and inside is the little plastic restrictor and spring. I used a piece of coat hanger and pushed it out. Put it back together and bleed it. This will help too.
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPa...69df348f528577

Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

thanks man.

i bought it today i love it.

Black 2005 EVO VIII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement