new to the forum - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Community > The Hangout > Member Intros
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

new to the forum

my name is chris my wife and i just baught a 05 evo blue we are located in the denver area. it is a great car but we are still getting use to it. If anyone has any tips or tricks about modding the evo feel free to let me know so we start modding on the right path no wasted time with wrong parts! cant wait to meet some new people in the evo world

Last edited by chris_cain; 03-22-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome, Chris!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Yet another RMEVO member! Excellent.

Chris, I can get you pointed in the right direction for mods, and I can get you hooked up with our local RMEVO tuner. You've definitely come to the right place to get taken care of in the RM area.

I, too, have an 05 and have been very successful with modding my car the right way without wasting money and while being fast on the track.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

that would be sweet we already have Tanabe tbe, hks suction intake, and hallman pro boost controller not installed yet but wanting to do a whole lot more.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Eh, then you bought too soon! Oh well, we'll work around those choices. Just don't put on the intake until you can get tuned. The TBE and MBC can be done before/without the tune, though.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

why does the intake make it run too lean or what is the reason for that and what do you recomend for the tuning?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_cain View Post
why does the intake make it run too lean or what is the reason for that and what do you recomend for the tuning?

Because an untuned intake will throw off the Mass-Air readings and your ecu will cut back boost making your car slower in the process. Dynoflash, a company that will tune your ecu and that is recomended in the evo world did a test of an evo that had an hks intake and was untuned for 2 years and some serious engine damage resulted.

Jared
Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not so much that it makes it run lean, which it does in some cases, but that it throws off the MAF readings significantly. The MAF is very sensitive to not only airflow volume but airflow turbulence. An intake like the HKS will drastically change the tune by messing up the MAF, so it's not a good idea to install it without getting tuned for it. It also isn't even necessary. The HKS RS is a very expensive part for what you get, which is mainly a lot of noise.

As for tuning, Dynoflash is who I've used from the beginning, but we also have a local tuner here in the RM region that I would suggest for you, since Dynoflash is in Connecticut. Our local tuner is Justin who goes by the username JustDSM, so you can send him a PM to setup a tuning session after you install the parts. I recommend getting a Walbro fuel pump between now and then if you can.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

just got the pump yesterday just waiting to install it, and thanks for the info for tuning! it is really nice to have some people willing to lend a helping hand and information to ones in that have not messed with the evo yet, and to provide honest info to get them started on a clean build!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
just got the pump yesterday just waiting to install it, and thanks for the info for tuning! it is really nice to have some people willing to lend a helping hand and information to ones in that have not messed with the evo yet, and to provide honest info to get them started on a clean build!
That's exactly what we're all about. Glad to be of service...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement