Mike, welcome to the site. I hope you like it and are able to find good answers to your technical questions.
If I may, I'd like to suggest that you look for a IX (06) SE, and this is coming from an 05 MR owner. I suggest the IX SE, because it allows you to get the most important performance features without having to pay the high prices for the SSL or MR. Specifically, here are the reasons:
- IXs are the most refined and most powerful of all (both stock and modded), so any IX should be at the top of your list to begin with
- SEs come with HIDs, which are NOT standard on the GSR, but do come standard on the GSR SSL and MR but at a much higher price tag. It's dumb that the base GSR doesn't come with HIDs or even as an option, but oh well
- SEs come with the special diamond black BBS rims that weigh only 17.74lbs. The 05 MRs originally came with the charcoal BBS rims, then the 06 MRs did, too, but the IX SE and IX SE MR come with the special diamond black version that looks awesome. The regular GSR only comes with Enkeis that weigh 20.17lbs on the IX
- SEs have the aluminum roof, which no GSR has and only the RS/MR have
- SEs come with the special seats with red stitching and additional aero on the front lip that other models don't have
- The IX SE (non-MR) comes with the 5spd, which is preferred due to the weakness of gears 4-6 in the MR 6spd, however, this is not a problem for 95% of people who don't race frequently. I blew 4th gear in my 6spd from road racing, but I didn't have a problem with tons of drag racing and autocrossing before getting into road racing, so this may not be a problem for you. Also, the 6spd actually has better gearing for daily and highway driving
- The biggest (and only, imo) loss if you get a IX SE is you don't get the Bilstein shocks of the MR. They are great shocks that ride smooth with increased performance, but this is a non-issue if you plan to do coilovers, and I don't consider it enough to justify the extra 3-4k
Last edited by Warrtalon; 07-05-2007 at 05:51 PM.