Beginners audio setup? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Non-Performance Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Non-Performance Tech Interior, exterior, appearance mods, lighting, alarms, car audio, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Midwest
Beginners audio setup?

OK, this is a kind of broad question but I know nothing about audio set ups. Can some one recommend a few upgrades that will help out my system. I don't want to go crazy just a few things to improve. Like a basic list that can work on any car. Just to make it better then the norm.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

anyone?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Sorry, no. My Evo is for racing. I have a basic head unit with built-in Sirius, but that's all I need. No extra weight or bling here.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks either way, Its not an important thing to me, just looking for ideas I guess.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
Why did you make 2 accounts?

Old 06-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

lol, cousins fault, we both have evo's, kinda cool in my opinion.... family bounding. so hes back from college and he doesn't use forums, his is lightly modded and he wants an audio kick to it, so he asked me to make a post cuz hes never going to use forums so he stayed over at my place so we can go to golf galaxy to fix his club and go golfing so i told him to just use my account, now I just made one for him and hes using it and I guess he never signed off so basically he just never signed off my account, and that's why. lol sorry so the mix up.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

wel if you havent already done so change the headunit and the facotry speakers. If you feel you are lacking bass add a sub and amp combo as well. Dont skimp on the wireing its what gets the power to the systems. If you are now over powered by pure bass add a 4channel amp to your front & rear speakers.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 06 EVO
Dynosheet: 645whp/555 lb-ft
Send a message via AIM to JohnEB
I am with warrtalon on this one.... thats a shit ton of weight and honestly I will let you know right now that subs in an evo will rattle the piss out of the truck and the wing and it sounds like ass! I have a basic headunit also with built in sirius and I may just change my factory speakers some day. Your best bet is to have exhaust and let that and your turbo be the sweet sounds of your car
Old 08-25-2006, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I agree with JohnEB about the sweet sound of a turboed 4g63 but if you really want better sound go with Alpine speakers. There are 3 types of replacement speakers Type E, S and R. I have had good experience with the Type-S speakers in my old eclipse, they have really good sound and the price is just right.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

factory!

I have a question about the factory sound setup? What are the factory speakers specs on a 03 evo8 and how many speakers because I've been trying to look for speakers on crutchfield.com and it has the options of 4 or 6 speakers. I believe I have 4 speakers and the factory speakers shouldn't be more then 200watts peak. But to be honest, it sounds pretty good for a factory unless I didn't notice someone changed them. I bought my car used so I havn't really looked into it. But yea, turbo exhausts and the sound of my motor would be great but music is the life! I'm looking for component speakers and probably just a 8inch sub. JL audio seems to be top notch or else anybody has had any other suggestions? A 8inch should be just right! Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

people rag on audio setups in cars like the evo but IMO thats kind of ridiculous. a sub box with the amp mounted on top takes about 30 seconds to remove...unplug and lift out. no worries on weight. also aftermarket speakers more often then not weigh LESS than the stock ones. weight savings and better sound whats wrong with that? you may have some rattles and since not everyone is racing to the level that warrtalon is a little bit of dynomat doesnt actually weigh that much. you dont have to do the entire trunk just the rattley areas.

ill probably get flamed for this but o well.
alpine speakers are nice. for subs you can get subs better than the name brands for like half the price. crutchfield is good for research but i wouldnt buy from them. they tend to jack up the prices a little.

to help you youd have to tell me what you want, what type of music things like that. your audio can be as simple or as comlex as you make it.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangs4ever4g63 View Post
I'm looking for component speakers and probably just a 8inch sub. JL audio seems to be top notch or else anybody has had any other suggestions? A 8inch should be just right! Thanks
If you have to have a sub, I'd recommend an Image Dynamics IDQ-10. It's light, it's very sensitive - meaning, you'll need a lighter, smaller amplifier - it's designed to work in a small box (again, less weight), and it's one of the premier SQ drivers on the market. I'd also suggest using Baltic Birch plywood as the material for the sub's enclosure, instead of MDF. BB is lighter and more rigid than MDF - a win-win proposition - but it does cost a little more. HTH
Old 05-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostinpsi View Post
people rag on audio setups in cars like the evo but IMO thats kind of ridiculous. a sub box with the amp mounted on top takes about 30 seconds to remove...unplug and lift out. no worries on weight. also aftermarket speakers more often then not weigh LESS than the stock ones. weight savings and better sound whats wrong with that? you may have some rattles and since not everyone is racing to the level that warrtalon is a little bit of dynomat doesnt actually weigh that much. you dont have to do the entire trunk just the rattley areas.

ill probably get flamed for this but o well.
alpine speakers are nice. for subs you can get subs better than the name brands for like half the price. crutchfield is good for research but i wouldnt buy from them. they tend to jack up the prices a little.

to help you youd have to tell me what you want, what type of music things like that. your audio can be as simple or as comlex as you make it.
I listen 2 all music out there that is being played from rock to breakbeats. I think I know what Kind of system I'd like. I think I'mma stick with the polk db6500 component system 6.5 all the way and mayb just add a polk sub to make it a whole polk audio system. An 8 or one 10inch is good enough. That would probably be my setup for my evo8. Instead of all that, I could've gotten a tbe or something else. But we shall see what lies ahead.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangs4ever4g63 View Post
I listen 2 all music out there that is being played from rock to breakbeats. I think I know what Kind of system I'd like. I think I'mma stick with the polk db6500 component system 6.5 all the way and mayb just add a polk sub to make it a whole polk audio system. An 8 or one 10inch is good enough. That would probably be my setup for my evo8. Instead of all that, I could've gotten a tbe or something else. But we shall see what lies ahead.
You may want to take some time to listen to various gear. You can also search elitecaraudio.com for ideas. Unlike every other car audio forum, ECA is focused on SQ. Personally, I've been involved with the high-end audio industry for more than two decades and there's no way I'd buy a piece of audio gear without a thorough audition. Good luck.

Edit: to make some suggestions, quality car speakers include upper end JL (which you seem to like), Diamond Audio (whose coax speakers present a remarkable value and the components are even better), Focal, DLS, Rainbow, upper end Boston, and Dynaudo (my personal favorite). The Polks you mentioned are not in the same league as the others when it comes to clarity, definition, articulation and staging. Buying speakers and a sub from the same manufacturer means almost nothing in car audio. Listen, listen, listen, consider your needs and preferences, and be honest with yourself as to what you're after. Then, find a shop in your area that sells some of the brands I mentioned, as they'll be more likely to sell you gear with an emphasis on sound quality instead of a glorified fart cannon.

I'd also heavily recommend not using the rear speakers. They introduce phase shift, distortion, greatly limit clarity, and kill any real sense of staging.

Last edited by FJF; 05-24-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement