Help Electrical problem! - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Non-Performance Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Non-Performance Tech Interior, exterior, appearance mods, lighting, alarms, car audio, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: Southeast
Help Electrical problem!

I was replacing the bulb for the Ignition ring around the key and it broke and grounded out. As soon as this happened the horn came on constantly and I disconnected the battery. Every time I reconnect the battery the horn is blaring, so I removed the fuse for the horn.

This is what the car does NOW with the horn fused removed:

-The turn signal lights are illuminated on the gauge cluster and on the headlights, side markers and tail lamps.

-The key ring light is on even with the door closed.

-When the ignition is turned on the rear wiper sprays and moves.

-The keyless entry alarm does not work.

The car does start and run, when I remove the turn signal fuse, horn fuse and the rear wiper fuse you'd never know anything was wrong.

I am currently looking at a Evo IX PDF that has wiring diagrams trying to figure this out.

I believe the keyless entry system is tied into this and I don't think it can be the immobilizer because the car starts.

Sucks that what should have been a 10 min job just became a whole damn project now.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
sounds like you def crossed some wires, or fried a controller or something. I forget what they are called in most cars but it controls the function of all that stuff, its like a secondary computer, maybe ETACS or ITACS. How may i ask did you ground out the igntion ring light? Do you have anything else hooked to the igntion like gauges or a turbo timer?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

I was putting in a cheap POS RED EBAY LED in the ignition ring, since its such a tight work area when I was trying to fit the bulb back into the socket the bulb broke and it shorted out. As soon as that happened the horn started blaring constantly. I examined the wires for the ignition ring harness and it goes right into the immobilizer box and I bet those wires go to the alarm or ETACS from what it looks like in the JDM EVO IX Wiring diagrams.

I can start the car and from alarm not working, horn blaring, rear wiper spraying and wiping and the hazards on solid I think the theft deterrent system has been activated. I am SOOOOOOO GLAD that I don't use my car for months at a time because I cannot figure this out. The alarm system must have a memory system that remembers this event because removing the battery cables do nothing. The car probably thinks I tried to hotwire it since all these wires were tied into each other. I was hoping there was a Mitsubishi tech on these boards, I posted this on EVOM where someone had the EXACT problem I had but went to Mitsubishi and never posted what they did or what was wrong.

It looks like I am going to have to call Mitsubishi and ask them what to do, I don't think it is safe to drive the car like this.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

you probably need a new etacs system. i have replaced many of the igniton ring bulbs with leds and never had a issue, since thats what i do on the side. you may want to try and find someone who is parting out a wrecked car and see if you can pick up there relay box cheap
Old 07-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo View Post
you probably need a new etacs system. i have replaced many of the igniton ring bulbs with leds and never had a issue, since thats what i do on the side. you may want to try and find someone who is parting out a wrecked car and see if you can pick up there relay box cheap
That is what happens when you get some Ebay LED's that don't even fit good and aren't even as bright as the stock bulb it replaces. I wish I bought your kit earlier and saved myself all this damn trouble.

Do you know if the ETACS control unit is the main control system for the alarm system as well? Would I have to go to the dealer to get my whole alarm system reprogrammed to work and recognize my transmitters if I swapped ETACS units?

I will probably remove the ETACS unit from the car and open it up later on this week and see If I can replace whatever got burnt out I guess.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

the etacs usually controls everything else the ecu doesnt. like lighting, horn, alarm, door locks, windows, and other things. take the dealer your vin and have them get you a price or have them diagnose. also do you have a aftermarket alarm?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Stock alarm system. I guess I will call the dealer and have a spare ETACS ECU in case it does need to get replaced. Thanks for your help!

Quote:
the etacs usually controls everything else the ecu doesnt. like lighting, horn, alarm, door locks, windows, and other things. take the dealer your vin and have them get you a price or have them diagnose. also do you have a aftermarket alarm?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

its not going to be cheap. but it does need to be diagnosed properly. disconnect the horn and then take it somewhere so they can find the real issue.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

PROBLEM SOLVED!

You need a replacement ETACS ECU, its a big red relay box that fits under the dash directly on the back of the fuse box.

The part number for the EVOLUTION ETACS ECU is MR530918, you must use this one as the normal lancer one will not work.

Once you plug in the new ETACS ECU you will need your dealer to reprogram your OEM alarm remotes for them to work.

:mitsu:
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

now how much was the box??

Thank you for the update on the problem solution!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Quote:
now how much was the box??

Thank you for the update on the problem solution!
I got the box for free from the tech because he had a spare one. But a new one from the dealer is $400 .

Thanks for your help, now I can't wait to do the LED interior upgrade when it arrives!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

you got a deal! just make sure when you do the LED upgrade that you dont do the same thing as last time! I should have the rest of your kit in today or tomorrow. kind of depends on USPS. I will contact you when it ships!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car:
Club Region: Pacific Northwest
Similiar Problem

So I have a very similiar problem with my 03' Lancer, I was just installing a spare 12V car charging outlet in my glove box. Install went well, and I piggybacked my power off of the stereo and ran a new chasis ground. Once all done I plugged my charger and and viola got power(I knew because of an power indicator light. 2 secs later light goes off and I have no more power. Overloaded the circuit I think so I unplug it and go check the fuse panel. All the fuses are fine, none blown, but I'm still not getting stereo power, interior lights, and my door locks are not working. What's bizarre is I have an alarm, which still works fine, and has keyless entry. The keyless entry flicks the lights and beeps like it should when I hit the keyless entry, but does not unlock doors. Once you turn the car on the doors will lock and unlock like normal(only from the door controls of course, keyless entry is disabled once the car is started). I would hope its an easy fuse that blew when I overloaded the circuit, not some CPU but I'm at my wits end! Help!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

did you check both fuse boxes? under the hood and under the dash?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement