I couldn't stand VIII tailights any longer... - Page 2 - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Non-Performance Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Non-Performance Tech Interior, exterior, appearance mods, lighting, alarms, car audio, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

they don't light up white, if that's what you mean
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

just flip the turn signal and reverse light bulbs around!!! Voila clear reverse lights again! I like being able to see when in reverse.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yup. That's exactly what I did. About time I got back to him too.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolarry View Post
Yup. That's exactly what I did. About time I got back to him too.
This really does look pretty good. I wonder how this will look on my "black mamba". I'm thinking about a nice light black color. I was following the thread until I got to the part about "flipping the reverse lights and turning signals" part. Could someone elaborate on this for me? Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

By the way, what is the U.S. equivalent of this paint? Can I get it from Autozone, PepBoys, etc.?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Dia-wyte paints are available in the U.S. no need to look for an equivalent. it is available in Smoke, Red, and Amber. Unfortunately, it is not available at standard auto part retailers, although I have seen the "nite shades" tint spray at Pep Boys before....

and they mean rewiring the turn signal to act as the reverse light, since it will light up white instead of red. and your inner most light will blink for turn signals.

And I now have VII taillights!!! yay Evolvd!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_evo View Post
I was following the thread until I got to the part about "flipping the reverse lights and turning signals" part. Could someone elaborate on this for me? Thoughts?
Flipping it for me ment;
Pull out turn signal socket and bulb (just like you are going to change the bulb).
Pull out the reverse socket and bulb.
I had to make a little slit in the electrical tape to get some slack, and then just put them back in opposite. The turn signal socket does not lock in perfectly in the reverse spot, but a piece of duct tape holds it just right. It's on the back of the taillight housing so it's never seen.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

Thanks this is great.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure_evo View Post
By the way, what is the U.S. equivalent of this paint? Can I get it from Autozone, PepBoys, etc.?
Any chances of finding something equivalent at your local autocraft store? I'd be interested in going with a light black color.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Any chances of finding something equivalent at your local autocraft store? I'd be interested in going with a light black color.
candy red paint will give you the same effect, it's available at hobby/ model shops. they also have "tint" spray available at the same place.

smoke color spray is available at "some" auto part retailers, it's called "nite shades."

still needs to be clearcoated afterwards though....comes out real dull/flat if you don't.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #26 (permalink)

Tinted Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoRSTroy View Post
candy red paint will give you the same effect, it's available at hobby/ model shops. they also have "tint" spray available at the same place.

smoke color spray is available at "some" auto part retailers, it's called "nite shades."

still needs to be clearcoated afterwards though....comes out real dull/flat if you don't.
Thanks for the information, brother. This is why forums are a great networking tool. A bunch of guys (and gals) helping each other out. About how many coats of each (smoke and clear) would I need? I know I did five coats of each when I spray painted my stock wheels.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Quote:
I used the same stuff on my RS, works pretty well.

Just a warning, but after about 8 months, they will dull, unless you have them clearcoated.

Clear Coat will make them foggy looking, I'd suggest gently waxing them and then puttin on some sort of armoral oil treatment.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

What kind of clear are you using??

I wouldn't suggest "rattle can" or hobby shop clear, as it is damn hard to spray and not mess up. automotive clear (the kind at body shops) is the way to go.

I actually paint cars for a living, haven't had a "fogging" problem before, my evo tails would have to be somewhere around the 25th pair I have done before. I even did the tails on my mothers car.

I'm redoing them BTW, have a few dust spots that I would like to fix before I sell em.

pure_evo: number of coats would be dictated by the way you want them to look, just make sure you do coats on both lights at the same time, to keep them looking identical.

Last edited by evoRSTroy; 04-19-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:53 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
pure_evo: number of coats would be dictated by the way you want them to look, just make sure you do coats on both lights at the same time, to keep them looking the identical.
Thanks for the information. It looks like I have another "project" to do that'll keep me at the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement