Light Trunk - how to keep it from flying up like a missile? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Non-Performance Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Non-Performance Tech Interior, exterior, appearance mods, lighting, alarms, car audio, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
FJF

Light Trunk - how to keep it from flying up like a missile?

Hi, folks. I bit the bullet and purchased an EvoDave CF trunk lid. At first, I hated the wing and the attention it brought, but I got used to it later and appreciated its legacy aspect. Having lived with it for a while, the limited rearward vision simply got to me. I decided to buy the lid, instead of simply taking the wing off, as I want to keep the stock trunk intact.

Now for my question. As the CF lid weighs ~12lbs vs. ~30lbs for the stock piece, I expect the trunk to pop open like a Jack in the Box. How can I make the lighter lid open like stock? Are there factory bars from another model that fit? What are my options?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
FJF

Nobody? Here two options that were given to me:

1. Remove the bars from both hinges and hold-up the lid by hand. This is out of the question, as I need two hands to load gear into the trunk that's job-related.

2. Remove only one of the bars. That is doable, but I have a concern. By removing one of the bars, the lid will face uneven pressure and I'm not entirely comfortable with that. Is my concern warranted, or am I just being paranoid?

Any other ideas?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't remember exactly where I saw them but someone was making the hood lifts to fit on the trunk. Try searching on EvoM. Otherwise you might be able to fine something for another car that can be modified to fit ours.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Timeslip: 11.510 @ 115.12
Dynosheet: 367whp/386 lb-ft
Club Region: Rocky Mountain
Send a message via AIM to Warrtalon
FJF, you're being extremely paranoid, imo. Of all the people who have CF trunk lids, I've never seen one complain about it being so light that it shoots up like a missile. Stop overanalyzing.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
FJF

Hi, Warr. The trunk on my RS opened higher, if you will, than the SE's lid. There was ~10lb difference between the two. The CF lid will make for ~20lb difference. I've read quite a few posts from folks noting a CF lid popping up with (errr) some force. I'm not discounting the chance of exaggeration, but I like to be prepared and have some info beforehand. Obviously, once I have it installed, I'll know for sure. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvd View Post
I don't remember exactly where I saw them but someone was making the hood lifts to fit on the trunk. Try searching on EvoM. Otherwise you might be able to fine something for another car that can be modified to fit ours.

Thanks for the tip. I've read about folks buying bar stock from Home Depot and cutting it to size, but I was hoping for a factory solution. If there are no other options, I may have to look into getting a set of bars from a different car, as you suggested.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
FJF

text deleted

Last edited by FJF; 05-17-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know if the c/f is getting rid of the lock... but couldn't you just use the key to open the trunk instead of the popper and hold it down with your other hand and let it up slowly? I know it means having to get out ur keys but if you can't think of anything else...
Old 05-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyll View Post
I don't know if the c/f is getting rid of the lock... but couldn't you just use the key to open the trunk instead of the popper and hold it down with your other hand and let it up slowly? I know it means having to get out ur keys but if you can't think of anything else...
It's definitely an option.

I try not to touch the paint, when the car is dirty, in hopes of keeping it in good shape. I've managed to keep the paint free of any all imperfections, as I took delivery of the car unprepped and did the work myself. Even though I hand-wash the Evo regularly, use only high quality microfiber and enthusiast/professional-grade detailing products, it gets pretty dirty by the nature of the beast. I use the car every chance I get and it's not like I drive like a sissy.

That's how using the remote release comes into play. Thanks very much for sharing a good thought.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, if you don't want to touch the paint... hold it down by the key being in the lock. Probably not to good for either but you don't have to touch the paint
Old 05-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

evo RS trunk bars??? my trunk just clears the latch pulling the release cable in the car.

they are probably the same as lancer ES bars, no wing. carbon trunk won't weigh too much less than the RS trunk.....
Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
FJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoRSTroy View Post
evo RS trunk bars??? my trunk just clears the latch pulling the release cable in the car.

they are probably the same as lancer ES bars, no wing. carbon trunk won't weigh too much less than the RS trunk.....
There's ~6-7lb difference between the RS lid and the carbon fiber, vs ~11lb difference between the RS lid and the winged lid.

I'll see if I can check into the bars' respective part numbers.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
FJF

Here's a brief update. After searching EvoM extensively, along with reading a multitude of unrelated threads solely for the purpose of assessing a given poster's credibility, I'm convinced that I'll have issues with the trunk bars. I did find the part numbers for the RS bars - ~$30 each discounted - and I'll most likely order some for the install. I'd like to have it done right the first time.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
FJF

Does anyone have access to Evo part numbers?

I'm looking for the part numbers to the Evolution (trunk) badge and the Mitsubishi (trunk) badge. I think I'll be the only person to actually put factory badges on a trunk instead of taking them off. I'm also looking fir the part numbers for the trunk bump stops. I'd really appreciate the help. TIA
Old 05-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
FJF

Part numbers:

RS trunk bars

MR573003 - LH
MR573004 - RH

Evolution trunk badge - MN154916

Mitsubishi trunk badge - 7415A012

Trunk bump stops

(large) MB022092
(small) MR335268
Sponsored Links