vortex generator install?? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Non-Performance Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Non-Performance Tech Interior, exterior, appearance mods, lighting, alarms, car audio, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

vortex generator install??

Has anyone installed this vortex generator?

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...&cat=49&page=1

If so how was the fit? Was it an easy install? Do you have any pics?

I am wondering becuase it seems like the fit of some carbon fiber pieces is hit or miss. Rexspeed canards fit great while the tyrant plate panel required some major modification to make it fit correctly.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE!!!

Now that I got that out of the way I will explain why. I purchased the same product and when I tried test fitting it the thing did not even fit the roof line. It was too narrow so that one of the ends would stick up in the air. Also they do not die-cut the antennae hole so it's up to you to do a clean job.

This part, like most of Seibons products are sub standard quality. I highly recommend the Rexspeed VG.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

THANK YOU!! That is the kind of info that I was looking for. I will not be buying that then. I looked at the Rexpeed VG but it isnt carbon fiber which is kind of the theme that I am going with. I will most likley buy the rexpeed since it will fit well. Thanks again

Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I follow what you're saying as I too was going for the CF look. Unfortunately I didn't find a source that made a reliable product guaranteed to fit.

You can do what I did and paint the Rexspeed VG black....just a suggestion.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah I would rather have a black one that fits than a carbon one that dosent. You can order one that is tarmak black now from them so I think that is what I will do. Thanks for the tip
Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

No problem. You might be able to get one from them that is unpainted if you wanted to do a custom color.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

how hard is it to install i hear you have to pop off the weather stripping to put it on. I dont want to break anything do you have any tips?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
how hard is it to install i hear you have to pop off the weather stripping to put it on. I dont want to break anything do you have any tips?

1. You will want to unclip the body trim that runs from the roof line to the bottom of the trunk. We suggest popping the trunk, and starting there and working your way up the roof line. You will need to do this on the drivers and passenger side of the EVO.
Tech Tip: Be very careful when removing these, they take a little pressure to unclip them.

2. Starting on the passenger side, we test fitted the Tyrant vortex to get the feel of the install. We suggest getting a buddy to give you a hand at this point and a couple chairs to get a better angle on things. Once you get the feel of this install, take the protective layer off the double sided tape. We suggest starting in the middle near the antenna mast and then lining up on both sides. Once you confirm it is in place, push down to secure the generator.
Tech Tip: We suggest heating up the generator tape with a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive on the backside.

3. Secure the molding trim pieces by pushing them back in place.
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/pages.php?pageid=24

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Definitely test fit it but also wash your roof before installing. And two people certainly does help so that you can line it up perfectly as you have a little play with where it sits.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just got it today what is this little clip for and how does it go on here. It dosent seem to fit right.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

The clip goes in the antennae hole. Should look like this:

Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

okay cool thanks. I am going to install it tomorrow if it dosent rain again. I will post some pics.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

here are the pics of the vortex generator and the carbon fiber canards that I installed yesterday
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement