What does everyone use to clean/shine black trim? - Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum
Mitsubishi Evo Forum Mitsubishi Evo Forum Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mitsubishi Evolution Forums: Mitsubishi Lancer Forum > Lancer Evolution Tech Forums > Non-Performance Tech
Register Forum Active Topics (T) Gallery Auto Loans Classifieds Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

Non-Performance Tech Interior, exterior, appearance mods, lighting, alarms, car audio, etc.

EvoTuners.net is the premier Mitsubishi Evolution Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What does everyone use to clean/shine black trim?

Well I finally got off my lazy a$$ and washed, paint cleaned, polished, and waxed my car. I'm going the whole 9 yards and looking to hit the black trim; door handles, around the windows, mirrors. What's the best stuff to use? What should I stay away from?
What's good for the tires?

Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Larry
I stay away from the tire shine stuff as it eats away a little bit of the rubber and dry rots the sidewall of the tire. I know it looks good when you have your car all cleaned up and your tires shining.
As for the door trim, dash and other plastic components in the car I use the ArmorAll individual pads my family gave me for xmas this year. It has a special chemical in it that absorbs into the plastic to make it look nice but not dry it out. At the same time it also cleans away any dust or crap that might have accumulated on the dasy.
I also use rain-x on the windshield. I don't know about you, but I HATE using my windshield wipers. All they do is create hairline scrathes in the window that eventually get bigger. The rain-x is great, under 90% of all rains I never had to use my windshield wipers, the rain just flys right off the car.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Club Region: SoCal
Reputation: turbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpfulturbolarry is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldstang50
Hey Larry
I stay away from the tire shine stuff as it eats away a little bit of the rubber and dry rots the sidewall of the tire. I know it looks good when you have your car all cleaned up and your tires shining.
As for the door trim, dash and other plastic components in the car I use the ArmorAll individual pads my family gave me for xmas this year. It has a special chemical in it that absorbs into the plastic to make it look nice but not dry it out. At the same time it also cleans away any dust or crap that might have accumulated on the dasy.
I also use rain-x on the windshield. I don't know about you, but I HATE using my windshield wipers. All they do is create hairline scrathes in the window that eventually get bigger. The rain-x is great, under 90% of all rains I never had to use my windshield wipers, the rain just flys right off the car.
Thanks,
Rain-x huh? I gotta check that out. I've got some ArmorAll. I'll use it. I'm just wondering if there's some new and improved black trim cleaner, using NASA technology, that's so advanced and protective, you need an engineering degree to get it.
Anybody use good stuff like that?

Old 03-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Reputation: Fourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpfulFourdoor is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Rain-x is one of the best inventions of modern times for anyone who drives other than in a desert

Keith
Old 05-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

There's some stuff called black chrome that works great and all black plastic pieces. I always used it on the trim piece under the wipers on my 2g.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know this sounds stupid..........BUT DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL. That shit is designed to make your stuff look like shit if you don't use it every other day. I used a few times, and then got lazy......big surprise, and didn't do it for a while, my interior looked like shit.....and its parked out of the sun everyday, so its not that. I use anything Mother's or Meguiars now. For the tires, just take some dish soap, with no water, put a VERY thin layer on the sidewalls (thin so it doesn't hit the tread) and there you go, that will last a good couple days without fading or hurting the tires.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
EVOtuners Member

Car:
Club Region: Southeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldstang50 View Post
Hey Larry

Not all tire shine will do that , you need water based stuff not solvent-based.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 03 EVO
Club Region: Mid Atlantic
Send a message via AIM to SicLanEvo
wow a 4 year old thread......get some trim shine, they sell it every where.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

I know this thread is OLD but if anyone still wants to know something good for plactic trim use "Mothers: Back to Black" It works on all color plastic trim.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Car: 06 EVO
Club Region: Outside North America
Send a message via AIM to rookhoe
Good to know. Maybe ill try it out when it gets warmer.

I WANNA GO FAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement