Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm pretty close to purchasing an EVO. However unlike most people, I've decided to take the used EVO route since I can't afford the IX. Originally I wanted an 05 GSR but lately I'm seeing that 03 and 04 models are alot cheaper than 05s and would definitely be a better fit in my budget (I would be making payments on the car). I know that the 05s have a better turbo, wastegate design and the ACD but are these REALLY that big of a deal over what the 03/04 models have to offer? I want to buy an EVO with the most features but not at the expense of having to pay another 3-5k dollars. So yeah bottom line: Are the 03/04 models really that much inferior to the 05s? And should I shell out the extra money for an 05 or would the earlier models suit me fine? (Meaning someone who would put the basic mods on and take it the track every now and then.)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
GinNBoost said:
Hey guys, I'm pretty close to purchasing an EVO. However unlike most people, I've decided to take the used EVO route since I can't afford the IX. Originally I wanted an 05 GSR but lately I'm seeing that 03 and 04 models are alot cheaper than 05s and would definitely be a better fit in my budget (I would be making payments on the car). I know that the 05s have a better turbo, wastegate design and the ACD but are these REALLY that big of a deal over what the 03/04 models have to offer? I want to buy an EVO with the most features but not at the expense of having to pay another 3-5k dollars. So yeah bottom line: Are the 03/04 models really that much inferior to the 05s? And should I shell out the extra money for an 05 or would the earlier models suit me fine? (Meaning someone who would put the basic mods on and take it the track every now and then.)
Only you can answer this question, because it all depends on what you value. With the 05, you will get:

- larger turbine housing (good for about 20whp on average over 03/04 at all mod levels)
- improved wastegate
- Active Center Differential (huge difference, but one that is only noticed when turning)
- Front Limited Slip Differential (huge difference)
- Higher value (obviously, because it's newer)
- Less problems (03/04s have far more TSBs which were improved upon in the 05)

So, of course you'll spend less on an 03 or 04, but it will be worth less, be older, have more miles, be more prone to problems, and out of warranty soon (if not already).

Also, if you don't mind getting an RS, you can get a brand new IX RS for about 26k at South Coast Mitsubishi in CA. People all over the country are buying from them, because their prices are well below invoice. They are able to do this, because they sell such a large number of Evos (for obvious reason).

·
Registered
86 Posts
turbolarry said:
I bought my '04 used and haven't had a problem. I put in the 10.5 housing and I'm happy as can be. :D
but that would make it closer to an '05.

i have an '05, this is what i noticed:
honestly, i dont change my ACD settings (sometimes i change to snow when its raining really bad, but i dont thing it really makes a difference - just dont drive like an ass in the rain).
the 10.5 makes the car alot faster, no matter what people tell you. get the 10.5. larry took mine, so no more 10.5 for me. theif! ROFL
i dunno about '03-'04, but my '05 was boosting 1.5-1.55bar from the factory. more boost = more power. (of course a MBC would fix that for $50)
i dont really have to worry about p0300 codes comming up :thumb:
no useless IC spray
bigger cup holders (big selling point)
came with an interior cabin filter, but it was filthy after 500 miles (i hear some dont come with them)

in short,
'05 with 10.5 = :rocks:
'05 with full GT upgrade, and 10.5 going to a new home = :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: (but i digress)

·
Registered
209 Posts
also, the 10.5 being larger will hold higher boost more effeciently thus creating more power.
i'd trade in my 03 (with full motor work) for an 05

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I was going through the same thing you went through about 5 months ago. I wanted an evo but I knew that I could only afford a used one. When I was shopping around at dealerships I was looking at used 03/04's for $23-26k depending on the miles. Then I was thinking to myself that I could just buy one of the last new 05's that are still availble for a few thousand more. I wasn't planning on getting a new car but I can definitely afford it after I planned a budget and i'm really glad that I got an 05 instead of an 03/04. I think I liked my 05 better than those years b/c it was brand new and not used but in the long run I got an 05 gsr w/ ssl for $29,500. I have hid's, leather recaro's (which I love), an amazing sound system and then I got all the great features of an 05. I love the acd because it really helps out in the cornering in severe driving condiitions and personally I wouldn;t take an evo w/o the lsd. However it all depends on what you can afford. 03/04's are still evo and they are still great cars but the evo did evolve over the years so of course it's gonna get better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts