Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on putting cams in my Evo. I love the way 280 cams sound. My sponsor is putting a 35r setup on my car, so I was wondering if these cams will go with that? While my car is down, I want to port and polish my head, and do cams. I dont know a thing about the how the Evo responds to cams, so any input would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yes, with a GT35r, you definitely want some nice 280s...

I'm confused, though. Your sponsor is putting on a $5000 GT35r kit (including supporting mods, I'm assuming), but you don't even know how the Evo responds to cams? Could you explain how that works? A GT35r is a very very serious turbo that will make a crapload of power with a lot of lag and the potential to blow the motor if you don't build it. It is the sort of thing that people only do when they know the Evo inside and out, and knowing that the Evo responds amazingly to cams is one of the most basic things there is. Most non-owner Evo enthusiasts even know this, so you slapping on a GT35 is a bit disconcerting. Will your sponsor also perform all the repairs on the engine if it blows and the drivetrain parts if they blow?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are using my car as a mock up for there up and coming kits. They are doing all of the supporting mods for the 35r also. I should have put more about me in my intro post. I will update that. And yes, they are backing up there product, and any repairs to my car 100%.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Hmm, kinda weird to try to enter the game with a new GT35 when there are already so many kits out there made by the big shops who are trusted and proven. HOpefully it works out, but that could be a long, arduous process of trial and error with your car being at the forefront of all the mistakes. I only hope for the best, but having an MR that I drive daily and race often, I would personally refuse a mock up like that from a new shop that doesn't specialize in Evos. Even if Buschur offered, I'd ask for a much smaller turbo, since my car is not for drag only.

Was this what you planned to do with the Evo long term? If so, then it's potentially a grand opportunity, since there will probably be close to $15-20k spent in total for all the fabrication, the parts, the rebuilt engine, the Shep tranny, etc etc. As long as you aren't without the car too long, then that's a great benefit. If I combined all 9 of my sponsors, it MIGHT be as valuable as what you're getting, so congrats.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that is why I joined this forum. I want to learn what it is they are going to do to my car. I am new to turbo cars. The closest I have had to a turbo is the blower on my truck. Two very different worlds though.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
It's a huge turbo that will lag and will require race gas 24/7 to get the full potential. To get a lot of the potential without race gas, you'll need to run alky injection. On pump gas, it will be weak, laggy, and annoying to drive on the street.

To support it, you will need large injectors, probably a standalone EMS with a possibility of running speed density without the maf, a custom header, custom downpipe, large wastegate, custom IC piping with large FMIC, upgraded fuel pump (if not two), fuel rail, fpr, at least a twin disk clutch, cams with retainers and springs in the head, etc. Although not REQUIRED, it is likely that you will need to build the engine if they go for big power (600whp), since the stock motor gives out around 550whp. Also, the stock tranny with all that power and that grabby clutch will likely grenade itself if you do any drag racing with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your information. They are a Subaru shop, and getting into Evo's. They sell some very nice set ups for the STi's. Oh, to answer your question about what I plan to do with my car. I want to use the Evo for the autocross, and someday to go to a closed coarse track.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know this thread is old but that turbo you are using is no good for auto cross and road courses. Sorry but can some one not know that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It would be a realy boring cae in the street or auto cross. Talk about a slow spooling turbo especialy with a 2.0 I suggest you tell them what your interset and goals are for your car in the future. Not trying to be rude but some of these spomsers are just interested in themselves seems, it seems oquard that they will fix your car if it brakes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
cul8rv8 said:
It would be a realy boring cae in the street or auto cross. Talk about a slow spooling turbo especialy with a 2.0 I suggest you tell them what your interset and goals are for your car in the future. Not trying to be rude but some of these spomsers are just interested in themselves seems, it seems oquard that they will fix your car if it brakes.

You need to work on your grammar

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I havn't responded to all your post. I am going with a 30r. After what Warr had said. I looked into it some more, and drove a couple of Evo's with the 35 and didn't like it at all.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Smart man. 30r will still be a little laggy and not great for auto-x, but it will be much more fun than the 35r in terms of response, daily driving, road racing, etc while on the 2.0. It can also make some damn good power, just not as much as the 35r for obvious reasons...

·
Registered
19 Posts
JAYMZZ,
Good decision on the smaller turbo. I never recommend the 35R or bigger to anyone doing most of their driving on the street. I'd personally go with a 3076 but really like the spoolup of the 50trim options popping up all over the place. 50trim is looking better all the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After driving a couple of Evos with the 35r, I don't understand how they can drive the thing every day. My friend has a Sti with a t66, and that is even worse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
when i was looking at cams for a GT turbo, i was looking at either straight 272s or straight 280s, both HKS.

i talked to one of the reputable evo tuners in socal asking what he thought about the 280s vs the 272s. he said that you might see a slightly higher peak hp with the 280s, but there is no "wow" that you need to have the 280s over the 272s.

maybe if you have a fully built head revving to 9k you might see a benefit with 280s over 272s, but at that point, why play around with silly HKS cams, get something with a higher lift that will take advantage of the fully built head.

of course looking back at this thread it seems to have gone from what cams to what turbo. if you want to know what i think. stick with a stock evo. get some R comp tires and a rear swaybar and bushings and stick with your autox. reading the thread, i can immediately tell you dont know what it takes to do well in what you want. hell, sell the evo and get a miata, it'll run circles around the evo at autox if done properly. it'll save you a bunch of money too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts