Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased an 05 evo this week and already bought a 3 in downpipe and test pipe (ams) I was just wondering if this set up will bolt right on to the stock exhaust or am I going to need to get a 3 in cat back? I plan on sending my ECU in to Dynoflash so I need to know if I need to buy the 3 in cat back or if I can just use the stock exhaust system. Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
in my personal opinion, i think it would be wise to also purchase the cat back to make your exhaust system a full 3 in. especially if you plan on a dyno flash as well.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Unlike the Subaru's the down pipe on the EVO is not the choak point, for us it is the cat and the cat back.... so you need to change out the cat back along with the rest for the most gain.

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Yeah man, there is 0 reason to do the dp and tp with the stock cat. Yes, it will fit, but there's just no reason to do it. YOu don't want to get flashed and/or raise boost with the stock cat-back choking off the power and causing all that backpressure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats if I just run straight test pipe? and can I get it dynoflashed to straight test pipe... I only get to drive it once in a great while its my least driven car and dont feel like stickin money into it that I dont really need but if that will be too loud I guess Ill have to get the cat back then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL I know test pipes are straight.... I meant can you run a straight test pipe as in a test pipe and down pipe but no catback exhaust at all. Then I asked if you could have it dynoflashed that way with out an exhaust. Thats all!

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Denny424 said:
... I meant can you run a straight test pipe as in a test pipe and down pipe but no catback exhaust at all. Then I asked if you could have it dynoflashed that way with out an exhaust. Thats all!
Are you going for an "unnmodified" look; :sneaky: Downpipe, testpipe, & stock catback right? You can do it, but the exhaust flow will be limited by the smallest diameter in the stock catback and the stock muffler, but if your not planning serious upgrades this might work out OK.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Sounds like he's asking if it would be okay to run a downpipe, test pipe, and not using a catback at all.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Ludachris said:
Sounds like he's asking if it would be okay to run a downpipe, test pipe, and not using a catback at all.
:laugh: Oh.

You can run without a catback, but not for extented periods of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Im going to just get the cat back sounds alot easier. I did want that stock look but it dont seem like it would be the best bang for the buck. Is AMS cat back a good system?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts