Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is at about 60k miles
what i am wondering is if i should change the timing belt right now or if it can wait a little longer?
if changing a timing belt was an easy thing to do and only took 5 minutes i would not ask, but it isn't
also i am wondering how much of a job is it on these cars? because i plan on doing the cams as well, and it would be better for me just to do it all at the same time

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Yea, just go a head and do it all at the same time. If I have my car down for one reason or another, that's when I try to do a mod or two. I haven't done mine yet, so I don't know how hard it really is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh i know, a previous car of mine it broke...it was no fun, nor was it cheap, thats why i want to replace it i figured i would go with one of those nice non stretch ones

now i have read that if you install aftermarket cams sometime your car may not idle properly and/or stall from time to time...

also would it make sense to get cam gears as well? keep in mind that these would be the only mods on my car at the time, i would be getting a full turbo back but after i did all of this

·
Registered
70 Posts
without any other mods, and especially without a tune, cams probably wont be a very good upgrade. If you get radical cams, it will affect idle control due to low vacuum, but usually nobody complains about 264 or 272 cams. like I said, cams should be further down your list of to-do's.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right, thats why i was asking because i plan on doing other things just not right at this time

does anybody know where i can find a service manual for this car, so that i can properly change the timing belt? i have not really been able to find one

·
Registered
70 Posts
I find it ironic that apparently goverment laws have found there way into car maintenance as well. When I looked up t-belt replacement in my shop Mitchell manual, I found that in California, Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont apparently timing belts last longer, and dont need to be replace until 105k. Stupid politics.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are the kevlar belts: A. Over-kill (waste of money) B. Good for peace of mind C. Recomended if you drive your car hard?
I choose answers b and c (although define hard), especially if your adding more strain continously modding. While the oem belt is good, the kevlar belts are stronger. It takes more to snap it than the stock one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
you dont need a waterpump at 60k. that is usually at 100k. just hand spin the pully and if it smins smoothly your fine as long as it isnt leaking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts