Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading around and i've found that most people say that if you have the money that you should get the XI instead of the 8 b/c it makes so much more power for the money. What's the big difference in the two cars. Is it just the turbo or the the mivec. I thought that I had read somewhere before that the mivec wasn't that great of a thing. I hope that I don't sound stupid, but.....WTF

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Excalibur said:
I've been reading around and i've found that most people say that if you have the money that you should get the XI instead of the 8 b/c it makes so much more power for the money. What's the big difference in the two cars. Is it just the turbo or the the mivec. I thought that I had read somewhere before that the mivec wasn't that great of a thing. I hope that I don't sound stupid, but.....WTF
Remember that it's a IX and not an XI. :)

Ok, here are the big differences from the 05 VIII to the 06 IX that make it faster:

- Turbo (larger compressor cover helps it make more power at the same boost levels and same mods)
- MIVEC (allows for much earlier spoolup, earlier peak torque, and more mid-range power up to 6k rpm - much more area under the curve on the dyno)
- Coolant passages in the head (these allow for more timing to be used without knock, which means more power)

Now, you didn't say 05, you just said VIII, so here are the other improvments that a IX has over an 03 or 04:

- Turbo (larger exhaust housing makes more power - 05s have this)
- Wastegate (improved wastegate flapper design)
- ACD (improved handling with 3 settings: Tarmac, Gravel, Snow)
- Front Limited Slip Differential (this allows for harder acceleration out of a turn with less spin)

MIVEC is pretty damn good. It allows for some crazy tuning with the intake cam once you get flashed. It only works up to 6k rpm, but during the 3500-6000rpm range you get lots of extra torque and thus extra power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, that's a big freakin difference. I wish I could be a spoiled little rich kid and tell daddy to buy me one. :cry: I wish I could get the wife outta her s2k and then I'd be good to go. :dsm:

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
mr ginzo said:
when did the IX's come out? 06? and whats differnet styling wise between the two?
Yeah, IXs are 06 models. The only styling difference is the different front bumper. I'm sure you can tell from looking at pictures. What made you ask about styling differences? I would think the amazing power differences that I listed above would be more important...

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
mr ginzo said:
when did the IX's come out? 06? and whats differnet styling wise between the two?

The IX has a different rear bumper, and a partial undertray on the rear that isn't really functional like the undertray on the JDM EVO IX's. The new front bumper style sucks for anyone who wants to put in a larger FMIC, the opening is just larg enough to provide airflow to the stock FMIC core. That makes it potentially a power robbing styling change if you are going to be upgrading your intercooler. Warrtalon has shown that the stock intercooler works pretty darn good though :) Read his race report from his trip to the road course :D

Keith

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know the 03/04's had a smaller hotside but isn't the 05 evo 8 turbo and the 06 evo 9 turbo exactly the same? I was told this by a mitsu mecahnic. The both have a 10.5 hotside and the only really difference between those two years as far as hp is concerned is the mivec.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
DSMEVOLUTION said:
I know the 03/04's had a smaller hotside but isn't the 05 evo 8 turbo and the 06 evo 9 turbo exactly the same? I was told this by a mitsu mecahnic. The both have a 10.5 hotside and the only really difference between those two years as far as hp is concerned is the mivec.
No, man, we've talked about this so many times on EvoM already. The turbos are NOT the same. The hotside is the same, but the IX's compressor housing is larger. Even if you didn't believe that, then you'd have to believe me when I tell you that the turbo outlet (part that goes from the compressor housing to the LICP) and the oil/coolant lines are not compatible with an Evo VIII. We can't even bolt on IX turbos to our VIIIs without the turbo outlet and new oil/coolant lines. Due to this larger housing and coolant passages in the head, the IX can make a lot more power. The MIVEC gives more area under the curve, but it is not responsible for the peak WHP difference, because it is not even active above 6k rpm...we make peak WHP above 6k rpm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love how people on EvoM swear up and down that the turbo is the only difference between the two cars. I love both cars, but having power under the curve a la MIVEC really changes the way the car feels especially during daily driving. Sure, the VIII might get equal power once you change the turbo, but it won't feel the same as a IX. Also, my guess would be that two cars with everything equal, but one car makes more power/torque earlier, then that car will be faster. I'm not knocking VIII's or anything, but the IX is the next Evolution for a reason, and no it's not just because they added a little horsepower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts