Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, i just got a 2003 Evo. The awd thing is all new to me. I traded in my 98 eclipse gs-t for it.

So my first question is this...when i come down on compression i get a sort of, rattling sound from the clutch area. It sounds like the clutch is loose or the flywheel is loose, and a little bit of a ummm grinding rattle, but it only usually does it coming down in 4th and fifth, and it actually grinds when i put it in fifth. The car was brought back in at 3000 miles for the clutch replacement.
I think i need to upgrade the clutch.
Is it possible that it's loose, but still at the point of normal operation?
Excuse the no0bism, but i need to know if this is something serious.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Sounds like you shouldn't have bought this one. 03s can be very problematic, and they have the least features and power of any year. Is it too late to take it back?

03s have a TSB for a 5th gear grind, so that is very common. It should get fixed under warranty as long as you're still in the powertrain warranty timeframe.

What do you mean by "come down on compression"? I don't know what that means, but if there is a rattle from the tranny at idle that goes away when you depress the clutch, then it sounds like a throwout bearing problem. If it's at other times, then maybe it's just clutch chatter - that happens with some upgraded clutches.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Warrtalon said:
What do you mean by "come down on compression"?
He means declerate while in gear. This is normal transfer case noise when slowing down in gear. The grind when shifting into fifth is a different issue and you covered that with the TSB information.

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts