Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was another thread but it got somewhat off topic, I have the buschur stage 1 and 2, and am getting ready to install gsc 272 in/ex cams and will be getting reflashed. What Im curious about is

1. Can a reflash and dyno tune (not mail in, local shop) handle the alky injection or is a standalone required?
(ps, I'll be tuning on a dynojet not the mustang awd since the shop with the reflash has the dynojet, so it will be hard to see what actual gains I make.)

2. What is a decent kit, I've heard bad things about snow performance kits, but havent found to many Evo specific kits. Does anyone have any firsthand experience?

3. What is the max boost (somewhat reliable) that a 05 10.5 stocker turbo can handle?

4. What kind of realistic power gain am I looking at with the meth inj/higher boost?

As of now I dynoed (mustang awd dyno, its a heartbreaker) 271whp and 259 TQ on 91 oct with the Buschur stage I and II, not sure how much the cams will make but I'd like to get to 320whp+/11.99et or faster
I pulled a 12.56 at 107mph on aforementioned 91 oct with a 1.8 60' but would like to be a little bit faster.

Would you Evo guru's recommend the Meth inj or do I need to save and get a gt3071r? to break 11's?

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
superflyjmysnk said:
What is the max boost (somewhat reliable) that a 05 10.5 stocker turbo can handle?

Would you Evo guru's recommend the Meth inj or do I need to save and get a gt3071r? to break 11's?
The stock turbo is way out of efficency past 25 psi.
I say don't mess around, go for the gt30. :thumb:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, on that tangent, got any experience with the gt3071r? I like the stock turbo's responsiveness, don't want to get something that would spool too much later.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
1) Of course you don't need a standalone - strange question from my eyes. There's no correlation between running alky and the type of ECU you have. It's just another mod that requires tuning, so there's no worry there. Who are you paying to tune you? You referred to a flash and dyno tune with a Dynojet, so is it some new tuner who is now using the free EcuFlash software to charge for tuning?

2) SMC is awesome. It's progressive and has a 1-gal tank that fits in the rear driver's side fenderwell perfectly

3) No real answer to this question. What do you really mean by it? Some people have reported as high as 34psi without failure, but does that matter? As larry said, it's inefficient above 25psi, but that doesn't mean you can't make power above 25psi. I run 26psi daily, but due to the head outflowing the turbo, it tapers to 21-22psi by redline. This taper keeps it from running out of its efficiency range, so when I'm at 26psi during low RPMs, I make really good power (torque in this case). When I went from 26 to 28psi right there on back to back runs, I gained the proper torque (~22wtq peak), but my peak WHP only went up by 6, and at the very top end, I lost power due to the heat that was generated. This is why I chose to leave it at 26psi for daily driving.

4) Always depends on where you start and where you go. With you, the 91oct is quite a hindrance to boost and timing, so the alky (or meth) will allow for much more boost and more aggressive timing. It should be about a 30whp/50wtq gain, depending on your setup and how well it's put together. Tuning will matter, too, of course...

I recommend alky on the stock turbo to hit high 11s, but a GT30 will do it easily all day long without struggling and without maxing out your turbo. However, that's a lot of money and a lot more complications (need injectors, full turbo kit, slower spool, etc).

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I am in agreement with Warr on this one.

Also, if you are looking for a responsive replacement turbo I would go with the 20G-9-5 (that is 20G varient turbo in an EVO 9 compressor housing with a 5 blade turbin wheel BTW) or wait for the newer varient of that turbo that will be comming out from Buschur Racing in the near future.

Keith

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using a dynoflash currently. The tuner I had in mind is Chad at Diemanmotorsports.com (local to Kansas City).
He's pretty good with Evos, he has a 03 running a gt35r and is making around 500whp.
I have no idea what the stock ecu is capable of,

Dieman is going to install the cams, gears, alky and tune for around $700

I'm not really comfortable tuning so I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing take care of that.

I really would just like to maximize the stock equip without having to rebuilt the bottom end (for now), but I want to have a 11 sec car just because, well, its fun to say you have an 11 sec car. No really I just have high 11's pump gas aspirations for the car, as that would allow me to be quicker than about 98% of the people around here.

With the mods on it now its faily quick but it lacks topend pull, I get the big torque spike but then it feels like it runs out of pull up top. I figured the cams would help and since I'm getting it flashed anyways the alky's not too much more money (compared to a $3k turbo).

Now, I do have a set of 680cc injectors that I never got around to installing on my GSX, but would those be beneficial if I go with the alky kit?

I'm at a crossroad because I have basically everthing I need for a bigger turbo upgrade (cams and gears-although not yet installed, tbe, mbc, licp, walbro 255, intake, 2.5 ic piping, 680cc inj, etc) but if I can get into the high 11's without killing the stock turbo and retaining the stock spoolup characteristics that would be optimal-and cheaper.

I havent decided against a turbo upgrade, just not sure what I want and I will have to wait about a year or so as I just bought a $220K house and the closing costs+down payment cut my savings in half.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
You won't be anywhere near having to mess with the engine internals while on the stock turbo. You won't need to use those injectors, either, because alky lowers your injector duty cycle significantly, because it burns in the cylinder as fuel, which means you have to remove a ton of fuel with the tune, thus lessening the need for injector.

I'd be very hesitant to let some random non-Evo expert custom tune my car on alky, because it is VERY DANGEROUS, even if he has a 500whp Evo, but that's a decision you'll have to make. You will definitely need a custom tune, though, so you're right about that - no base flashes for alky.

Btw, once you run alky, it's a misnomer to claim "pump gas," because without the alky, the car would be much slower on JUST pump gas. Some people try to make that pump gas claim, but it's bogus, since alky helps as much as race gas on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I said pump gas, I was refering to the ability to pump and go. Unfortunately for me 91 is the highest octane in kc that you can find everywhere, although there are places that sell 93 around they are few and far between and I would hate to get low on gas and not be in range of 93 if I was flashed for it. There is a shop that sells methanol down the street for $2 a gallon so I don't think running out would be too much problem for me.

Warrtalon, do you know of any reputable flash tuners in the midwest?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
No, I don't. There is a group of people trying to get Dynoflash to KC, but it requires 5 deposits for him to buy the plane ticket. If you can't get Dynoflash there, you have to go with what you can get.

I don't think AMS in Chicago is anywhere near you, and they are usually booked months in advance.

Wow, $2/gal for meth is UNBELIEVABLE. The lowest I've ever heard of is $3/gal and that's if you buy a 55-gal drum. $2 is like theft, haha!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
superflyjmysnk said:
When I said pump gas, I was refering to the ability to pump and go. Unfortunately for me 91 is the highest octane in kc that you can find everywhere, although there are places that sell 93 around they are few and far between and I would hate to get low on gas and not be in range of 93 if I was flashed for it. There is a shop that sells methanol down the street for $2 a gallon so I don't think running out would be too much problem for me.

Warrtalon, do you know of any reputable flash tuners in the midwest?
When I first started working on my EVO I used Dan from Godspeed in the Detroit area of Michigan for my tunning, he is pretty good. Not sure if he does flash tunning though.

Keith

PS: Godspeed is now "Tunningfactory"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts