Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so you have a nice new evo and want to up grade your exhaust or bov.....etc.. So in the back of your mind what if something breaks do I still have my warrenty or am I going to have to pay fully for all repairs. Heres a law that will help!

"will this void my warranty?"

There are federal laws to protect the consumer and the use of aftermarket parts.
Here is the law:

Federal Warranty Laws - The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Derek:dsm:

·
Registered
361 Posts
The law may state that but you also need to read your waranty that pretty much states if you mod your car your screwed and since you signed the papers you agreed to being bent over,

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive noticed not only the dealership i work at but where i bought my mitsu, they dont care if you modify the car just as long as the dealership is making money off fixing what you broke and your not going through engines/tranny's/TCases like every year (expensive stuff) but than again not all dealerships are like that

·
Registered
173 Posts
My dealer has been pretty cool, but then again I haven't broke anything yet. The Service manager has a modded Evo so I'll keep my fingers crossed in case the t-case decides to take a dump.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Here's how I see it, and many disagree with me, but here it goes;
Fu(k the warranty.
... and here's why. We all got this car to have some serious fun with it. Some of us mod it and push it to the point that some of the factory parts break. Of course it's going to break because it wasn't indended to handle the power some of us are putting down after mods. If the weak link has reared it's head, and you want to keep having fun with your car, why would you want to replace it with the same weak factory part?
Case in point; the stock clutch (it's a wear item anyway, but it's something I just went through). I modded my car and cooked the clutch within 21K miles and even some that are stock are cooking the clutch in less miles. That's unheard of in terms of a car's reliability, but it happens so we all know the stock clutch isn't up to snuff. Why would anyone even try to go back to the dealer go get another clutch that you know isn't going to hold up? To save money? To save time? It's just going to get cooked again and fail, and your cars down again. :thumbdown Address this issue and you'll be done with it. You won't have to deal with it again.
I see it this way for all parts; tranny, transfercase, whatever breaks, build it up. Even if it's not related to a mod, build it up. It may cost you some money, but even as cheap as I am; I'd rather spend some money and get the right part, then to have my car down just get the same weak factory part you know can't hold up.
If you want to be covered, don't mod your car.
If you mod your car, something will break and that's more than enough reason to build it up. :thumb:
And that's part of reason were here; To help each other when something breaks.

... cause it will break. :)

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
EcBlue said:
ive noticed not only the dealership i work at but where i bought my mitsu, they dont care if you modify the car just as long as the dealership is making money off fixing what you broke and your not going through engines/tranny's/TCases like every year (expensive stuff) but than again not all dealerships are like that
The problem with this is that the dealer does not decide what gets covered under warranty unless it is very minor, because any high dollar item has to be approved by the district or regional manager. If the manager sees a single mod, s/he is likely to deny coverage, so you cannot rely on this.

Yes, it behooves the dealership to go ahead and cover as much work under warranty as possible, because they still get paid like normal, and their customers are happy, but anything like a clutch, trans, t-case, or engine will have to get reviewed by a higher level, in which case you'd be screwed if you had mods.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You only live once. I've modified or changed something on just about everything that I've owned from bmx bikes to GI Joes, have fun with the 29,000-36,000 thousand dollar you just bought. As Larry said when it breaks replace with something better.:dsm:

Jared

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
They offered me a extended when i purchased mine from my dealership, And I just laughed and said I already voided it because earlier that day I swapped everything I could from my GST.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
SicLanEvo said:
They offered me a extended when i purchased mine from my dealership, And I just laughed and said I already voided it because earlier that day I swapped everything I could from my GST.
:laugh:
You had that 24 hour warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
turbolarry said:
:laugh:
You had that 24 hour warranty.
Not even, I swapped parts on my lunch break and didn't sign paperwork until after dinner so like a -7 hour warranty, lol. Oh well....

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
What pisses me off about this situation is that the price of the factory warrenty is factored into the price of the car and we have ZERO option to not pay for the factory warrenty even though we know we will be denied coverage.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Fourdoor said:
What pisses me off about this situation is that the price of the factory warrenty is factored into the price of the car and we have ZERO option to not pay for the factory warrenty even though we know we will be denied coverage.

Keith
That sucks donkey d!ck.
I don't even want their coverage. i don't even want the 7 hour warranty like SicLanEvo :laugh:
I wish I knew how much an Evo would be if Mitsu knew they'll never see the car again?
$10K?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
it was a -7 hour warrenty, lol. Actually from mitsubishi on all the models, you can get the exteneded warranty for $945 which makes everything a 10yr/100k but that is if you can keep from modifing or have a great dealership. So I think this wouldn't apply to anyone with a evo because how can you not play with the car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mountain Mitsubishi the closest dealership to me is pretty cool about mods. They even sell Works parts for Evo's and the parts are still covered under warranty.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The drivetrain on my Evo isn't modded and I plan to keep my warranty for its duration. At least I hope to. So far, I've only had a single issue - a peeling steering wheel - and it was taken care of without incident.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The reclining adjustment knob broke off one of my recaros. And my stupid glove box pops open sometimes...WTF. Is that sh!t voided also?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts