Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my cousin with me to the track last week, he has a 97 gsx auto with the usual bolt ons and stock t25, Dynoe'd 220whp/215wtq last week.

He was able to put down a best of 15.8, I did a 15.3 in it, but the thing does not launch at all, just creeps off the line.

It has some power to it and pulls pretty good once it gets going, with a decent launch I would think it would pull low 14's.

So my question is, how exactly do you launch a auto gsx? I just held the brake down and gave it throttle but it wasn't too impressive. I had two 2g GSX's both 5 speeds that launched a lot harder when they where stock.

I realize this is a Evo forum but since most of us have a dsm background, and I don't want to dig through 20 pages of bs and 16 year olds opinions, I thought maybe someone might have some insight.

I ran the usual 12.4x et on pump in the Evo but my traps are going up, up from 107 to 109, possibly due to the 25 degree drop in temp from my last track outing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I've been in a 2g GS-T auto; 20g, FMIC, full fuel, full exhaust... :|
It's just the tranny. Without stepping up to a higher torque converter it's just going to lag.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. It's kind of funny because he talked a lot of trash to some of his friends about how fast his car was against my warning and was telling them it would run 13's. He got a lesson in humility to say the least.

Although now he wants to sell the car all of a sudden and get a wrx (17 year old kid, can't afford a evo yet).

Over the years I've gotten to the point where no matter how fast my car is, if someone asks, it runs 14s. Even when I was running 130mph+ traps in a cammed+procharged Z28 I would always reply that it was a 14 second car. I've gotten some stupid looks from people but better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Sounds like he should just sell his auto GSX and get a 5spd GSX. I ran better times with my near stock GST. He should do better with a 5spd.

·
Registered
89 Posts
No way keep the Auto, pop on a FP Green turbo and nail the break and then the gas, it'll launch and won't quit. But that Auto Tranny needs to be built.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts