Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the stock IC piping on my EVO9, which would you all recommend to get. I saw the Injen hardpiping at JSCauto and it looked like a good choice. Any input?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Well, actually, there is no "best" IC piping. There are some that are better than others, since they are straighter, but really this is not a useful thing on Evos. I know you came from DSMs where they are one of the most important mods (the UICP at least), but on an Evo, the UICP is just a bling mod - it does not add power. The LICP can add a few horses while improving spool, but the UICP is just for showing off. I have many mods on my car, but my UICP is stock. I went 12.000 with stock FMIC, stock IC piping, stock turbo, stock cams, stock engine/head, stock injectors, blah blah blah - just had exhaust, mbc, bov, fuel pump, and a tune.

I recommend going with the specific mods that make a IX extremely fast, unless your interest is mainly in looks. With 3 basic mods on the IX, you can go low 12s or high 11s depending on your driving:

- Turboback exhaust (catless)
- Manual Boost Controller
- Flash

You can get it all as one package for $1270 from Buschur, or you can piece together your own mods from many other good vendors as long as you get the same combo. This will net you 60-70whp gains on 93oct with a Dynojet...

Btw, I'm sure you're quite familiar with Buschur due to having a DSM - he just put the first USDM Evo 8 into the 8s this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all your advice, Ill probably use it. The main reason I was thinking about getting all hard piping was because I know it holds boost better than the soft stock piping. Ill believe you though since you seem to know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool man thanks again.

What would a good driver run the quarter mile in with just the stock parts on the EVO?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Strong, stock IXs are capable of 12.7-12.8 with a 1.7 60' on 93oct near sea level in good conditions. Strong, stock IXs with a weak 60' and average driving can do 12.9-13.1. Weak 60' and weak driving or a weak-from-the-factory IX can make the times worse in stock form. I ran 13.1 with a weak 1.92 60' in my _05_, and IXs tend to average another 20whp higher than 05s. Even my [email protected] was capable of a 12.9 with a 1.7 60', but at the time, I had no idea how to get past the 5k launch limiter (I do now).

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Disconnect the clutch switch under the driver's side dash. There are 3 white plugs/connectors as you work your way UP the clutch pedal. The lowest one is the starter switch. I remove this one so that I can crank the car without pressing the clutch down. The 2nd one is for cruise control, which we don't have. The 3rd and highest one is a switch that activates the built-in launch limiter. If you disconnect this, then you can launch from any rpm up to the rev limiter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dont necessarily agree with warrtalon on this one. First of all the injen piping is garbage and is only there to look shiny. But with regards to piping not making power that is not necessarily true. I was talking to eric hsu over at xs enginnering and he told me they picked up power on the dyno, iirc 6hp, by switching from the stock upper pipe to wide smooth bend with shorter piping. He stated that the last sharp bend in the piping at the tbody was a restriction. By removing it they gained slightly better spool time, same story went for the lower pipe as well. I dont know this to be completely true or not but eric is not a man to be known as a liar. He developed the power fc for apexi and runs xs enigneering's r&d. And another back up to this is the story in import tuner, blah I know, but a dyno story none the less. They switched from stock piping to a short route upper and lower pipe and gained dyno hp, iirc it was 10 or 11 for the pair. I know thats not a magazine I tend to like but I was flipping through it while drinking a slurpee at 7 eleven. I think there is slight throttle response, spool up, and power to be found from piping, but only from select kits. The ones from the likes of greddy, hks, injen, and others like there piping I think are shiny garbage. But when you look at the piping from nisei, xs, buschur, I think there is something there. And if you look at the piping of the stock ic hoses balloon on the dyno to twice there size, how can you say your not losing efficiency? Your charge air is being spent to balloon the pipes before going into the tbody. While it may only be for a split second it is still wasted power. And I know Ive had it a few times, how many of us have had our piping blow off at one of the couplers at a bad time? I know its happened to me on several occasions. So anyways, at least you have the other side of the coin on the subject now.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
I'm basing my comments off many dyno tests on many Evos over the course of 3+ years. My stock hoses have never ballooned on the dyno in 10+ trips, and there have been countless people to gain nothing on the track/dyno when installing a UICP of any brand.

I said the LICP is very valuable, though, so you might have missed that. The UICP doesn't hardly do anything. Yes, I've seen a few SHOPS try to claim gains, but when the majority of customer cars don't gain anything, it gives a better picture of the real story. For the money, a UICP is not worth it until a certain point such as when running a larger turbo or maybe when maxing out the stock turbo with 380+whp on big boost.

·
Registered
26 Posts
But, what about the UICP blowing off at the TB? Mine has done this a couple of times at it presents a reliability (sp?) problem. I mean, what if that happened during any kind of race? You're screwed... so maybe would the hard pipe fix the problem? If so this could make it a good investment.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Get some high quality worm gear clamps (stock style, but stronger) or if you are going for "bling" some T-bolt clamps of the correct size and you will never blow off an intercooler pipe again. No nead to spend the money for an upper IC pipe at this time.

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
USMC_EVO8 said:
But, what about the UICP blowing off at the TB? Mine has done this a couple of times at it presents a reliability (sp?) problem. I mean, what if that happened during any kind of race? You're screwed... so maybe would the hard pipe fix the problem? If so this could make it a good investment.
No, because that's not related to the quality of the stock UICP. If you have that problem, you just need a better clamping solution. It happens to people all the time with aftermarket hard pipes, too...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Warrtalon said:
Well, actually, there is no "best" IC piping. There are some that are better than others, since they are straighter, but really this is not a useful thing on Evos. I know you came from DSMs where they are one of the most important mods (the UICP at least), but on an Evo, the UICP is just a bling mod - it does not add power. The LICP can add a few horses while improving spool, but the UICP is just for showing off. I have many mods on my car, but my UICP is stock. I went 12.000 with stock FMIC, stock IC piping, stock turbo, stock cams, stock engine/head, stock injectors, blah blah blah - just had exhaust, mbc, bov, fuel pump, and a tune.

I recommend going with the specific mods that make a IX extremely fast, unless your interest is mainly in looks. With 3 basic mods on the IX, you can go low 12s or high 11s depending on your driving:

- Turboback exhaust (catless)
- Manual Boost Controller
- Flash

You can get it all as one package for $1270 from Buschur, or you can piece together your own mods from many other good vendors as long as you get the same combo. This will net you 60-70whp gains on 93oct with a Dynojet...

Btw, I'm sure you're quite familiar with Buschur due to having a DSM - he just put the first USDM Evo 8 into the 8s this weekend.
Thats a good run. Can I make 12sec with exhaust, bov, air intake, and tune? If yes, how?

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
05evo said:
Thats a good run. Can I make 12sec with exhaust, bov, air intake, and tune? If yes, how?
You saw me just say that I went 12.000 with basic mods. Are you asking me if you can go 12s with the same mods? I guess that depends on your driving and how well the car is put together? I went 12.8 with only an SAFC (self-tuned), so I would hope you can get a 12 with several more mods. Btw, no need for an intake, and only get an aftermarket BOV if you raise boost (MBC) plus be sure it's a fully recirculating BOV.

Just call Buschur Racing and get either Buschur Stage 1 or Warrtalon Stage 1, then go low mid 12s all day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts