Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
dafunk630 said:
just wondering whats the best mod out there for the evo IX other than changin turbos
Well, I don't see how changing turbos could ever be considered a best mod, but I would say that a flash is the single best mod on an Evo IX. The best combinations of mods for the IX are...

- 3" Turboback exhaust
- Manual boost controller with boost gauge and pod
- Flash

My brands of choice are the Buschur TBE, Forge MBC, and Dynoflash. That combo puts you at ~330whp on 93oct.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
dafunk630 said:
just wondering whats the best mod out there for the evo IX other than changin turbos
There is no one best mod/upgrade. It's whole systems that work together that will work best for the car (fuel, intake, exhaust, engine management, suspension, etc). You need to decide; where do you want the car to perform? If your just looking for a quick and easy 15 whp than an exahust might satify you.
So what exactly are you looking for?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Forget the dynoflash, think about an safc, or do some research and spend some time playing around with an ecuflash, its a whole lot cheaper and can be done your self. All a dynoflash does is allows your ecu to be reprogrammed for different parameters such as fuel and timing. So in essence its a engine program made to optimize your car for other mods you do to it, such as the tbe and bc. A boost controller regulates how many psi your turbo will generate before the wastegate opens. A few more than stock equals alot of fun when you have the fuel mods and ecu mods to safely enjoy it. A turbo back exhaust is exactly what it sounds like, it replaces your 02 housing with a tubular one that offers better flow, along with a downpipe that is larger and has smoother bends as well as either a test pipe for no catalytic converter offering maximum flow or a high flow cat which offers better flow than the factory without completely killing the environment. You top that off with a catback exhaust which usually offers a smaller less restrictive muffler along with larger piping to give you more flow. Ultimatley the turbo back exhaust just uncorks the exhaust side of the turbo assy giving you more aggresive spool up and topend power. When you combine that with a boost controller you make lots more power, and you use an ecu flash or piggyback controller to tune this combination so your car stays safe and makes the most power it can from its current setup. But in the end Im most partial to what ludachris said, get some r compound tires.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Oh no, here we go. An SAFC is not a good idea on a IX. There is no harness for the ECU, so you have to splice into the actual ECU wires, the SAFC cannot manipulate the MIVEC, it will make way less torque, it will require injectors to get equivalent power to a mail-in flash on pump gas, and it has absolutely no features. The only good alternative is EcuFlash, but most people (especially newbies) have no clue how and no inclination to tune themselves. It's a very dangerous thing, and if you're going to pay someone to tune you, then it might as well just be a flash on a IX, because that is the absolute best tuning method available. Even with EcuFlash, he can still utilize professional tuning by paying for a $50 e-flash that can then be tweaked and changed but after having a base to start with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree about the funcitons of an safc over a flash, however I have a real problem with trusting someone else to get the job done right, especially when you read all the horror stories over certain companies flashing your car. That is why I also suggested the ecuflash, for $80 you can flash your own car and no matter how little you know about your evo or cars in general there is enough info out there to learn how to flash your car. Learning how to flash it and making power with out giving someone else all your hard earned money is imo the better route to go.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
There aren't many horror stories at all. If anything, they all reside on SOCALEVO.net, because they don't reside on EvoM or most other Evo message boards. There are thousands upon thousands upon THOUSANDS of flashed Evos, and the failure rates are less than .1% from what I've seen.

I agree on EcuFlash, but you know as well as I do that 95% of people will have no idea how to use the flashing software to manipulate the hi/low fuel/timing tables within the proper cells, nor will they have the proper monitoring devices to do so (wideband o2, datalogger). That takes great skill and is best left to professionals when starting out, but then you can learn from what they do.

YOu think it's better to learn yourself than pay money, but I think $50 is far more valuable than risking blowing your motor during the learning process. If we all were able to learn how to flash like experts, then there wouldn't be flash tuners out there making so much money. Some will take this route - most will let the pros do it.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I think that EcuFlash self flashing software will help keep the profesional tuners honest. I know that with my AEM EMS I can see anthing that a tunner does to the program.

For example, if you had a bad tunner who instead of adjusting the timming tables, just pumps up the knock compensation map to prevent your motor from commming apart you will be able to see that.

Now with the new software people can actually analyze what has been done to their ECU when flashed by ANY professional tunner.

Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts